Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 11:11 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Housing affordability just took another huge hit....

Has anyone seen what new homes are selling for in Wellen Park near the Braves stadium?

$1.5M-$1.9M all along Home Run Drive in Venice (Venice mailing address but not in the city limits).

2 are pending, so they are getting these "next level" prices.

$589/sq ft., and not waterfront. I paid $189/sq ft for a similar home in the same area just 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 12:06 PM

8,037 posts, read 4,639,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I've seen many creative ideas for tiny homes. Some come on wheels, some are innovate re-use of what would seem odd to use as the basic structure for a tiny home. Such as a shipping container. Or a school bus. Here is an article about a 2-story storage shed from Home Depot that sells for around $9000 and can be used as the basic structure for a tiny home. (Any owner will still have to pay to insulate the property and install electricity and water. Another cost to consider is the price for the land you want to rent/buy to keep your tiny home on.)

COME ON IN I found a two-story tiny home at Home Depot for $8,967 – the savings surprise people as the store delivers and builds it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...two-story/amp/
I came across this informative YouTube video about turning a Home Depot storage shed into a tiny home. This video also takes a look at a $20,000 log cabin tiny home from Home Depot.

"Buying a shed home from Home Depot may seem affordable with the sticker price but there is a lot more that goes into having these types of tiny manufactured homes as a permanent living dwelling. In this video, we will show 5 shed tiny homes from home depot and what you will need to know before you decide to make this your next tiny home."

Affordable Homes At Home Depot For Less Than 20k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkYMT6p280

Old 05-07-2023, 12:25 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm for HB 1417 to eliminate all rent control laws. Let the free market economy determine rent prices. Gov't manipulating markets, always has unintended consequences.

If people can't afford rental pricing where they are in Florida, they'll need to move...or not come here at all.

Renters get priced out of areas all the time, so this is nothing new. I can't afford the Hamptons, Manhattan, San Fran, Fisher Island, Jupiter Island, or Singer Island, or South Beach in Miami, so here I am in Southern Sarasota County; making the best of things.
There is a You-Tube video about Wall Street hedge funds buying up homes in Sarasota to be used as rentals and the low inventory of homes available for sale.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:20 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
There is a You-Tube video about Wall Street hedge funds buying up homes in Sarasota to be used as rentals and the low inventory of homes available for sale.
That's been well known across the country the last 6 or so years now.

There was a fairly new sub division in the Orlando area that One of these large firms bought up most of the new houses in it and renting them out.

This is probably the largest issue with housing. Houses are being bought up as rental investments by these companies here in Florida.

There is a huge demand for seasonal rentals. A lot of snowbirds just want to rent for 4 months instead of having to own two houses, the cost, up keep and such and just want to rent for the coldest months. Here in southwest FL there is a HUGE demand for winter rentals.

With the cost on home insurance, energy, inflation I can see the demand for rental houses and condos for the winter going up and up.

This drives home and condo prices up because someone like Blackrock and just throw down immediate cash. My area of southwest FL seems to be doing a HUGE shift to snowbirds who rent.

My sub division here in Punta Gorda has a lot of rentals. These are not old homes, but 2013 and newer homes.

Old 05-08-2023, 04:46 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
What would a $1.7M home even rent for by the month? $20,000? Not even waterfront or walk to the beach. Just in an old scrub area, 15 minutes to Manasota Key beach....a so-so beach. I wonder what the rental rules are for Home Run Drive homes? At that price point, I'm thinking 6 month minimum.

If snowbird rental demand is sky high, I wouldnt rent for 3,4,5 months, I'd have a 6 month minimum. It's hard to turn a profit renting less than 6 months buying at today's prices.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
What would a $1.7M home even rent for by the month? $20,000? Not even waterfront or walk to the beach. Just in an old scrub area, 15 minutes to Manasota Key beach....a so-so beach. I wonder what the rental rules are for Home Run Drive homes? At that price point, I'm thinking 6 month minimum.

If snowbird rental demand is sky high, I wouldnt rent for 3,4,5 months, I'd have a 6 month minimum. It's hard to turn a profit renting less than 6 months buying at today's prices.
Usually the shorter rentals under 6 months they jack the price up way up down here. When we moved back to FL in 2015 our two bedroom condo $nothing fancy more like glorified apartment, old, dated" on salt water canal with small boat dock was over $2700 a month! We rented August through Oct 31st which had cheaper rates. I think it went up to over $3,800 a month in Novemeber for season rates.

I hate to see what they go for now per month. Probablyl $3,800 a month off season and $5,700 a month during the winter if renting by the month. I know I saw one for sale in the same complex online this past winter for 290k. Being these condos were built in the 1980s, the firm or investor who owned this made pretty big profits since they likely bought it a ton cheaper than that.

Everything here in PG. my area seems to be shifting to rentals. A lot of snowbirds around here I run into rent for a few months for the coldest months.

Those overpriced 1.7 million dollar homes will rent, especially in the winter with wealthy New Yorker investors, and the RICH international visitors. Just look on the east coast houses in Boca Raton area renting for 15 grand a month and they're 3 bedroom basic houses.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:05 PM

America's rental nightmare, as map reveals 20 hardest places to find a home

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...WRG?li=BBnbfcL

- The rental market is the toughest it's been in years - with up to 20 people bidding for a single apartment in some cities

- The national occupancy rate is nearly 95 percent - and 60 percent of those renters renewed their leases, leaving very little room to move around

- About 44 million Americans rent, according to Census data, and many could be in for a shock as prices are set to go even higher

Almost half of the 20 most competitive markets for renting in 2023 are in the Northeast, with North Jersey topping the list, according to Rent Café, which analyzed 134 markets across the U.S.

The Sunbelt states also feature prominently in the data, which was compiled using factors such as the number of days apartments were vacant and the number of prospective renters.

Florida, once the most popular place to flock to, holds several spots in the top 20, including the number two spot in Miami-Dade County, where apartments spend an average of 33 days on the market before being snatched up.

Also ranking in for the Sunshine State are Southwest Florida at number six, Broward County at number eight, and Orlando at number nine.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
America's rental nightmare, as map reveals 20 hardest places to find a home

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...WRG?li=BBnbfcL

- The rental market is the toughest it's been in years - with up to 20 people bidding for a single apartment in some cities

- The national occupancy rate is nearly 95 percent - and 60 percent of those renters renewed their leases, leaving very little room to move around

- About 44 million Americans rent, according to Census data, and many could be in for a shock as prices are set to go even higher

Almost half of the 20 most competitive markets for renting in 2023 are in the Northeast, with North Jersey topping the list, according to Rent Café, which analyzed 134 markets across the U.S.

The Sunbelt states also feature prominently in the data, which was compiled using factors such as the number of days apartments were vacant and the number of prospective renters.

Florida, once the most popular place to flock to, holds several spots in the top 20, including the number two spot in Miami-Dade County, where apartments spend an average of 33 days on the market before being snatched up.

Also ranking in for the Sunshine State are Southwest Florida at number six, Broward County at number eight, and Orlando at number nine.
SWFL to be expected because of Ian.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I came across this informative YouTube video about turning a Home Depot storage shed into a tiny home. This video also takes a look at a $20,000 log cabin tiny home from Home Depot.

"Buying a shed home from Home Depot may seem affordable with the sticker price but there is a lot more that goes into having these types of tiny manufactured homes as a permanent living dwelling. In this video, we will show 5 shed tiny homes from home depot and what you will need to know before you decide to make this your next tiny home."

Affordable Homes At Home Depot For Less Than 20k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkYMT6p280
I've been doing some research about Sarasota County laws/regulations regarding tiny houses. Apparently Sarasota County is rather favorable towards tiny houses - as they don't have a minimum for square footage. However IMO storage shed homes could raise issues because the tiny home must be built to FL building codes. (For incorporated areas of Sarasota County you will also need to check the local laws).

I found the following blog to be an excellent resource:

Guide Of Tiny House on Foundation Building Permit Review Process (Sarasota County)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tif...cKc&format=amp

"Sarasota County does not have any minimum square footage laws for homes. The caveat is that the homes must be constructed to the Florida building codes. Although having these codes is overall a good thing, it does increase cost on materials and labor to passcode.

One Example: Windows. You must have impacted rated windows on new construction homes. This could cost 3x the amount of money even compared to the upgraded windows on Tiffany! The nice part about all this was, as long as we abide by the codes that were already in place, we could live in the city we love so dearly and have the tiny home lifestyle we choose to live and love. Below is the review building permit process broke down for Sarasota County. Disclaimer: Your area could be different."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarasota County OKs smaller affordable homes

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...es/5719956007/

The Sarasota County Commission unanimously approved multi-family dwelling units no greater than 750 square feet to be considered half-dwelling units, which the board says creates more affordable housing because the tiny units are more affordable to build and buy because of their size and come with significantly lower water and wastewater fees. The new half-dwelling designation, however, is restricted from barrier islands to avoid units being used as vacation rentals, according to county documents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Accessory Dwelling Units Now Allowed in Sarasota Citywide

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/hom...-mother-in-law

The City of Sarasota commissioners voted unanimously to expand the ADU (Accessory Dwelling
Unit) ordinance to allow long-term rental units citywide. Now, homeowners in zoned single-family residential areas—outside of barrier islands or neighborhoods with deed restrictions that forbid them—can add on living spaces of up to 650 square feet, without having them counted as a separate house.

Some older residential neighborhoods in Sarasota, like Gillespie Park and Laurel Park, have historically included ADUs, also known as “granny flats” or “mother-in-law suites.” But at a time when affordable housing is in short supply, especially within city limits, allowing homeowners to add an ADU and rent it out long-term can help fill the gap.

Other main drivers behind the move are to respond to the need for smaller households and give aging residents the opportunity to remain in their neighborhoods with the help of family—as well as to earn extra income in the face of increasing costs of living.

Homeowners who build ADUs and rent them out will be required to live on the property in either dwelling and prove homestead status. The applicant for a building permit must also provide the city with an affidavit indicating the unit will be rented at or below 120 percent of the area median income–a maximum of $2,316 a month.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida Counties That Allow RV Living

https://www.rvrank.com/post/florida-...wage%20systems.

Which Florida counties allow RV living?

Well, as it turns out, all 67 of them. That's right, you can live full-time, even with children. This includes all types of RVs and motorhomes, as long as they're connected to a source of power, water, and an adequate sewage system. Considering that state laws override any county or local ordinances, all Florida counties must allow RV living in accordance with the state law.

However, there are certain conditions that have to be met, and depending on where you live; you might have to comply with local Home Owner's Association (HOA) rules.

We gathered and cross-referenced information from various RV-enthusiastic websites and forums to present you with the best possible answer and help you make an informed decision about whether full-time living in an RV is something you would consider.

Here's what the state law says about living in an RV.

Last edited by wondermint2; 05-08-2023 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-09-2023, 07:50 AM

US Cities Where It's Cheaper to Buy Than Rent a Home

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-ci...130040362.html

Florida cities dominate the top 10 places where homes are cheapest to buy relative to renting. These cities include Deltona, Palm Bay, Kissimmee, Palm Coast, North Port and Port St. Lucie. However, there are outliers where a mortgage costs more than rent per month – like in Miami Beach, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton.

Only six cities offer cheaper housing costs for homeowners than renters. Homeowners in two Arizona cities (Surprise and Avondale) and in four Florida cities (Deltona, Palm Bay, Kissimmee and Palm Coast) pay less on average for a mortgage than a monthly rent check.

North Port is the city closest to rent and mortgage parity, meaning that the net difference between both costs is smallest out of all the cities considered. Even though it’s technically more expensive to own than rent here, the monthly mortgage cost of $1,293 is only $2 more than a monthly rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area