Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 02:43 PM

163 posts, read 102,785 times

Advertisements

I am embarrassed that I need to ask this, but I need some help deciding what to pack. I'm staying in the Venice area October through April. First time ever spending the whole winter in FL. I live in Rochester NY so I'm used to much different winter weather. I'll bring pants / jeans but as for winter tops should I just bring a few sweatshirts and a light jacket? Do you ever wear sweaters? What do people wear out to dinner at a nice restaurant in the winter? Do women ever wear flannel shirts or tailored collared buttondown shirts? Should I bring my fleece "shacket" (looks similar to this: https://www.vonmaur.com/Product.aspx...&color=1420108 ) Or do I really not need to bring much cold weather clothing at all? I did look at average temps and it said lows in the 50s for the coldest months. I don't want to bring a bunch of unnecessary stuff but also don't want to assume "it's always warm and sunny in Florida" as the famous video says...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 05:14 PM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
If you go out a lot after dark, you'll need long sleeve clothes, but light weight long sleeves.

If you like to do outdoor concerts at night, you'll need a light jacket. Remember, in Winter, it gets dark at 6pm & temps can drop into the high 50's & low 60's when cold fronts blow through.

I'd bring 2 pairs of long pants/slacks...1 pair of jeans, and 1 pair of khaki's.

I'd bring 2 long sleeves shirts/blouses, 2 sweaters, 1 casual, 1 dressy, & match both to the sweaters.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:07 AM

Ok thanks, I would have way over-packed so I'm glad you gave advice. Seems like maybe most days of winter I won't need cold weather clothes, but there could be a week or two when a cold front comes through and I do need warmer clothes. And sounds like for early mornings or after dark if I'm going to be outdoors a lightweight long sleeve top or a light jacket will probably be enough.

When I have visited the area in the past, usually in March or April, I've always just checked the forecast before packing and I don't think I ever brought winter clothing, but since this upcoming visit is a long stay all through winter I thought I better check with locals about what to pack.

Weird question - do people wear black pants there? In the winter? I have this impression that people don't wear much black in swfl.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:48 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Of course people wear black pants here. I'd say, wear whatever colors you like, there will be enough snowbirds in the area wearing all sorts of color, you'll blend in no matter what.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:01 PM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
People don't wear much black unless they are getting dressed up for fine dining, or special events...or younger ladies going out to dance clubs after 9pm in short black dresses.

I dont wear White slacks or shorts in the Fall or Winter, just out of old habit from living up North for so many years. Some girls/ladies do wear White (jeans mostly) in the Fall & Summer.

People tend to wear brighter colors pretty much year around...except biker gangs

I think people are dressed like they are on a Carribbean cruise sometimes, which is a little louder than I prefer. That Lilly Pulitzer stuff hurts my eyes.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Of course people wear black pants here. I'd say, wear whatever colors you like, there will be enough snowbirds in the area wearing all sorts of color, you'll blend in no matter what.
Thank you. I figured there are so many visitors from outside the area that even if I don't blend in with the locals hopefully I won't stand out too badly among the tourists.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
People don't wear much black unless they are getting dressed up for fine dining, or special events...or younger ladies going out to dance clubs after 9pm in short black dresses.

I dont wear White slacks or shorts in the Fall or Winter, just out of old habit from living up North for so many years. Some girls/ladies do wear White (jeans mostly) in the Fall & Summer.

People tend to wear brighter colors pretty much year around...except biker gangs

I think people are dressed like they are on a Carribbean cruise sometimes, which is a little louder than I prefer. That Lilly Pulitzer stuff hurts my eyes.
Yes I can't remember seeing much black clothing when I've visited, the dress there as I recall is much more colorful than I'm accustomed to wearing. I have mostly black pants and jeans. I fit right in here in Rochester but think I'd possibly look out of place in swfl. I do have one pair of tan / khaki colored pants.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:11 PM

I guess I could pack light and then once there just do a mini shopping spree at Bealls for some FL winterwear...

Old 09-14-2023, 12:49 PM

733 posts, read 761,925 times
You'll mostly be in short sleeves. 50's? ... sure, if you like to walk at 4am. Yes there are cool stretches (thankfully), but typically mid-to-high 60s. I have sweatshirts that I rarely but sometimes get to wear. It's more long-sleeve tshirt type weather.

Best bet is probably layers... cool mornings or evenings, warmer daytime.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:24 PM

I'm going to trust you guys and not bring much heavy clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: