Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:16 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times

Advertisements

We moved from CA in 2004 after living there for 25 years thinking FL would be cheaper. Not so. After getting past CA home cost everything else was more in FL. Property taxes, Home owners ins water and our electric bill was double in Fl.We were use to warm days in CA but at nights the temps would drop so you could open the windows. In the long summer in FL you cannot do that air is on almost 24/7 and we had it set at 78 for day time and 76 at night. Food was a bit higher in FL also. I remember the first Xmas we were in FL and had our daughter and the Grands visit our electric bill was $400 that month but then again we had a pool that we had to heat in the winter. For the remainder of the 4 years our electric bill was between $225-$325 a month. In Ca the highest we use to pay was $125 a month. We are now in NC ( new home with great windows) and so far we are saving money but it has only been a few months. We will see how the year turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
When one starts comparing Fla with that deranged state out west you KNOW there's a problem.

19% of the people in "Cali" could afford a median priced home there. Less than 9% in many areas. Is this really what we want and are proud of in Florida?

Welcome to Fla by the way and so sorry there's an infection going on here which is making our fine state resemble the worst parts of where y'all come from. I'm afraid it's a nationwide sickness however and I maintain that we're running out of places to go.

Far as NC,, my Wife and I spent quite a bit of money going back and forth starting in Ashville, down to Hendersonvill, down to Tryon. I won't mention now the ugliest experience we had but will tell you that health insurance of a similar quality to what we have here would have cost us nearly $900.00 a month + deductibles whereas it "was" $375.00 here with deductibles ) now $485.00 so it's going up up up). The state would have been all over us and it would have cost us more than 10K just in state income tax in NC. Needless to say we passed on NC after blowing 20K+ going back and forth.

Last edited by MrTudo; 06-15-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,935 times
Default I totally understand

LOOKING FOR WARMTH-

I am on somewhat the same page as you. I was born and raised in the chicago suburbs and I am trying to understand where Floridians are coming from. It is sooo expensive to live in these chicago suburbs. For an example we own a one bedroom, one den condo built last yr by centex homes and paid 128,500 for it versus the SAME condo sells in Jacksonville Fl. by centex homes for 94000!!!! I just paid a tax bill on my condo for 3,066.00 and that isnt even fully assessed taxes yet. The best part is I live in a condo and I dont even own any land!!! my pay here is crazy, I have worked at the same hairstylist job for the past 2 and half yrs and still make only 9 bucks an hour. I have never even gotten a raise. Thank goodness I graduate college next yr I will be a an el. ed teacher. My fiance and I are hoping to sell our condo next year and we are on our way to florida. It has been both of our dreams to move there and we cant wait to make it happen. I know that teachers dont make that much down there but 35,000 a year is a lot better then about 15,000 which i make here.

I think its all what your used to. People that were born and raised in florida see it as being very expensive because over their lives they have just seen the numbers rise on prices. However floridas prices are lower to you or I from up north so it is a bargain to us. I mean no matter where you live there are pluses and minuses, some things there are more expensive than here but then vice versus.

We are counting down the days till we get to come down to florida and do our research in Decemeber.

Can't wait to join you all in Florida

Old 06-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
When one starts comparing Fla with that deranged state out west you KNOW there's a problem.

19% of the people in "Cali" could afford a median priced home there. Less than 9% in many areas. Is this really what we want and are proud of in Florida?

Welcome to Fla by the way and so sorry there's an infection going on here which is making our fine state resemble the worst parts of where y'all come from. I'm afraid it's a nationwide sickness however and I maintain that we're running out of places to go.

Far as NC,, my Wife and I spent quite a bit of money going back and forth starting in Ashville, down to Hendersonvill, down to Tryon. I won't mention now the ugliest experience we had but will tell you that health insurance of a similar quality to what we have here would have cost us nearly $900.00 a month + deductibles whereas it "was" $375.00 here with deductibles ) now $485.00 so it's going up up up). The state would have been all over us and it would have cost us more than 10K just in state income tax in NC. Needless to say we passed on NC after blowing 20K+ going back and forth.
So far we love NC and as far as health care we pay the same amount since hubby is still employed with the same CO. Our time in FL started off with 4 hurricanes coming two weeks after we moved there. The following year Allstate dropped us as they have done with many people in FL. We had never filed a claim against them but Allstate as well as other ins co dropped many and the hunt for new insurance was on. That is how I found this site by doing a google search for insurance companies.
As far as your statement about 19% in CA can afford a home in CA that is true but not if you bought a home there 25+ years ago. I won't even comment about how you described CA.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
So far we love NC and as far as health care we pay the same amount since hubby is still employed with the same CO. Our time in FL started off with 4 hurricanes coming two weeks after we moved there. The following year Allstate dropped us as they have done with many people in FL. We had never filed a claim against them but Allstate as well as other ins co dropped many and the hunt for new insurance was on. That is how I found this site by doing a google search for insurance companies.
As far as your statement about 19% in CA can afford a home in CA that is true but not if you bought a home there 25+ years ago. I won't even comment about how you described CA.
Tsk tsk tsk, such hardship. I feel your pain. Fla is such a tough place. And expensive too! Wow ohh wow. Isn't it something that everyone has a story? How.....unique.

I was refering to present day history about home ownership in california. I fail to see the relevance of 25 years ago unless we would like to start a history thread. Heck, I had an apartment on the corner of Bleeker and McDougal in NYC 25 years ago which cost me less than 500 bucks a month. Who cares?

Frankly, if you've found your nirvana in north carolina why would you be spending time in the Fla threads.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM

I go to a lot of boards where we have lived. I have no idea why the attitude? Life is way to short.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:07 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for warmth View Post
hahahahaah OK!!!!! Thanks for the update ....
It's usually in the 40's when we take off our jackets!!!
I just had to chuckle when I read your post!!! I know you mean well and I want to thank you so much... it was just cute!.... last winter we don't get much snow, but the COLD is pearcing... it hurts so bad, and from what I heard and read FL is sooooo mild!!!
I can soooo handle walking out in a sweatshirt in Feb and able to go for a walk and maybe doing a little shiver ...
There would be NO way in this frozen crap state you can do that here!! Not without, 5 sweaters, long johns, snow pants, boots, heavy jacket, scarf, gloves, 10 pairs of thick socks, 2 hats, and then your good, but you can't walk cuz you've got on to much stuff!! And not to mention your so cold you are shaking like your under in a convulsion! ahhahah
Well, this past winter, I put on...

a thermal shirt
a flannel shirt
a sweatshirt
a jacket
a knit cap

just to walk a couple of blocks to work. Once inside, I could take off all but the thermal.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for warmth View Post
hahahahaah OK!!!!! Thanks for the update ....
It's usually in the 40's when we take off our jackets!!!
I just had to chuckle when I read your post!!! I know you mean well and I want to thank you so much... it was just cute!.... last winter we don't get much snow, but the COLD is pearcing... it hurts so bad, and from what I heard and read FL is sooooo mild!!!
I can soooo handle walking out in a sweatshirt in Feb and able to go for a walk and maybe doing a little shiver ...
There would be NO way in this frozen crap state you can do that here!! Not without, 5 sweaters, long johns, snow pants, boots, heavy jacket, scarf, gloves, 10 pairs of thick socks, 2 hats, and then your good, but you can't walk cuz you've got on to much stuff!! And not to mention your so cold you are shaking like your under in a convulsion! ahhahah
You say this now but live in FL for a couple of years, your blood with thin and you'll be pulling on that winter sweater when the temps drop to 55 degrees.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:45 AM

53 posts, read 174,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
You say this now but live in FL for a couple of years, your blood with thin and you'll be pulling on that winter sweater when the temps drop to 55 degrees.
Ohhh I'm sure!!! Your totally right!! Even now, like yesterday we had awesome weather it got to 77.... but last night it dropped to 49, brrrrrr I threw on a sweat-shirt... but, your winter is way more toalerable then 14below zero, last winter we even got to -35 with wind gust at 40mph... now that sucks!!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
It's not expensive, but it's not as cheap as you think. We moved from Chicago and quickly realized you make up for the cheaper homes and such with other costs.. For example, Most newer subdivisions you have to pay a HOA, or even CDD.. or buy an older home and pay up the wazoo in insurance. Up north you don't HAVE to be limited to these choices. Lets also not forget homeowners insurance, hurricane insurance, and in many cases- additional flood insurance. Also, you'll quickly realize you are going to pay an arm and a leg for CRAPPY insurance, and then have to pay a good chunk out of pocket when you visit a Dr or hospital (and this is for GOOD insurance). While we ran our heat up living in Chicago-- We run our air a lot longer than we anticipated..some people we know run it all year long.
It's a price to pay to live in paradise though.. even if the costs balance out, I'll take it anyday over cold weather..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area