Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 290,159 times

Advertisements

we are considering moving to sarasota from NY - My husband and I are both 32 and my son is now 8. Although we plan to have more kids, right now, I am looking into good middle schools and high schools. Any suggestions? I also have a sense that there are lots to do with little kids but how about pretween and teenagers? We of course love the beach and all the outdoore stuff but as my son gets older he wants more independence. Is this a place that kids can ride their bikes around, get ice-creams, play ball and get into a little mischief on their own? Or is this a place where kids get more isolated by community gates and need to be driven everywhere?
How about teenagers? What do they do for fun? Or they can't wait to move away? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,266,960 times
I think Sarasota is a decent choice. The schools are good depending on where you go. Stay away from Booker MS though, it's pretty rough. Try to go further south in Sarasota, maybe even the North Port Area

Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I think Sarasota is a decent choice. The schools are good depending on where you go. Stay away from Booker MS though, it's pretty rough. Try to go further south in Sarasota, maybe even the North Port Area
Good advice! Depending on what you are looking for Pine View might be a good choice. They have middle and high school on the same campus. I have a 5th grader and 10th grader that attend Pine View and we love it.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM

thank you for your replies. Any thoughts on things for pre-teen and teenagers? Any comments would be helpful. Not a lot of people seen to answer me, I wonder why?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,942,213 times
I answered this, kind of, on another thread. I live in the southern part of Sarasota county so it's a bit different here. I would say there's more going on in Sarasota. I don't think there are very many people that live in Sarasota that post on here and probably even fewer that have kids. I think Ladywithafan lives in the Sarasota area but I'm not sure if she has kids.

I can't think of anyone else that posts a lot that lives in Sarasota. Smiledoc, but he's just moving to the area and again I don't believe he has kids that age.

My daughter goes to the movies or the beach when she goes to the Sarasota area. She also hangs out in the library, which I'm not sure would be that exciting to the average kid. She does know a lot of kids that live up that way. I'm going to be pretty busy tomorrow but if I can get a few minutes with her I'll see if she can give me some more answers.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:25 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,177,898 times
I have a 17 year old, what does he do? Nothing, hangs out with his friends.
We used to live in Lake Sarasota, area is full of kids, so he spent most of his time playing around and riding bike around neighborhood. He was about 11 then.
We moved into a different neighborhood, no kids, he's bored, visits his friend, but i have to drive him. No way in heck my 11 year old is going to drive anywhere in this town on a bike (pass his neighborhood) He has car now, so he goes on his own.

All i have to say, that you will have to drive him places, i would not let any kid ride on the bike except in your own neighborhood.

Pineview is one of the better schools, it's for children who are more advanced then others. Your child will have to take a test in order to enter the school, but it's a good one. I think it can be boring for teens, it all depends what they're into. I knew few people who's teens are into different clubs, yacht club, tennis club, etc, but, it's quiet expensive if you can afford all the clubbing!
Besides that, i don't see many children outside, it's quiet hot (has been for the past week) and humid.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:09 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,266,960 times
I think there just isn't too much to do for kids in Florida in general. It's just a very laid back place and kids are content just riding bikes or hanging out. You could keep yourself convenient to the beach and spend time there, he could get a boogie board, or even fishing may interest him..I think the reason most people don't respond is because most people are in your situation, they are new, or thinking of relocating. There are a handful of us locals that can lend our expertise : )

Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM

414 posts, read 1,246,524 times
Default Kids Grown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I answered this, kind of, on another thread. I live in the southern part of Sarasota county so it's a bit different here. I would say there's more going on in Sarasota. I don't think there are very many people that live in Sarasota that post on here and probably even fewer that have kids. I think Ladywithafan lives in the Sarasota area but I'm not sure if she has kids.

I can't think of anyone else that posts a lot that lives in Sarasota. Smiledoc, but he's just moving to the area and again I don't believe he has kids that age.

My daughter goes to the movies or the beach when she goes to the Sarasota area. She also hangs out in the library, which I'm not sure would be that exciting to the average kid. She does know a lot of kids that live up that way. I'm going to be pretty busy tomorrow but if I can get a few minutes with her I'll see if she can give me some more answers.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Hi SoFlGal,
My kids are 22 and 20 so I cannot comment at all about activities for small kids. I think for people my age (mid-fifties), Sarasota was the right choice. Especially for those interested in the arts.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:33 PM

960 posts, read 1,690,357 times
Not a lot to do for pre-teens and teens in this area in general. If you're an involved parent, you will be able to get them into a sport or other after school activity. Otherwise, they will become bored and turn to other not so great activities. You will, of course, have to drive.
Most teenagers who were born and raised here, can't wait to move away to college.
It's always been that way around here.

Last edited by Carbondated; 06-24-2008 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Thank you for the feedback. It is helpful to know. My son is only 9 now, but I know in a blink of an eye he will be a teenager and when thinking about relocating I would like to make sure we go to a place where teenager's needs are met as well. I just think that those are such prime years in anyone's life, so crucial and sometimes our society are not giving enough attention to their developmental needs... they get bored and get in trouble.
Thanks !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area