Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 AM

383 posts, read 1,025,046 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, we are coming down to the new place( Englewood) with a U-haul trailer full of stuff @ Christmas time, and I was wondering what to expect for temperature, water temp. (swimmable?) and normal weather conditions at that time of year, since this is the first time for us?(Rookie Northerners!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
Some of you might think it swimmable...

I know that when I was younger, we hosted a Swedish foreign exchange student, and HE wanted to go swimming. Not a heated pool either! Not too cold for him, but definitely too cold for me!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,221,093 times
Talking Hey Beach Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
Hi guys, we are coming down to the new place( Englewood) with a U-haul trailer full of stuff @ Christmas time, and I was wondering what to expect for temperature, water temp. (swimmable?) and normal weather conditions at that time of year, since this is the first time for us?(Rookie Northerners!)
try these sites www.sarasotafl.org www.visitflorida.com I have been to Florida during the "Snowbird" season...and usually the water is warm enough for us northerners...but if not...most of the hotels have heated pools......I will be down there the first week in January...air temps around mid 70's...water temps seem to vary...were will you be staying???

Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,726 times
An average Northeasterner usually enjoys swimming in 68F in late July So should be pretty swimmable for you, somewhere between 65F~72F depending on wind direction. Look for a few days of SSE winds for best results.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Hi,I havent been able to get back here for any replies,sorry!! We are visiting the new home we bought in October at Christmas. No pool to swim in yet but We were just wondering how cold the Gulf water might be. I'm personally sticking my feet in the water even if it has ice-cubes floating on top!Also just trying to get a heads -up for clothes packing(shorts,long pants,jacket ,etc??)

Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,099,354 times
Quote:
Hi,I havent been able to get back here for any replies,sorry!! We are visiting the new home we bought in October at Christmas. No pool to swim in yet but We were just wondering how cold the Gulf water might be. I'm personally sticking my feet in the water even if it has ice-cubes floating on top!Also just trying to get a heads -up for clothes packing(shorts,long pants,jacket ,etc??)
I grew up in Western NY, and when the lake water gets warm, it reaches a refreshing 55 degrees or so, sometimes maybe a little warmer, but not much. So whatever the water gets to during the winter, it will still be far warmer than necessary to enjoy!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I grew up in Western NY, and when the lake water gets warm, it reaches a refreshing 55 degrees or so, sometimes maybe a little warmer, but not much. So whatever the water gets to during the winter, it will still be far warmer than necessary to enjoy!
Hey Big House, I,m still here in Western New York,and I know just how refreshing the lake water can be,but We were looking for something just a smidge less refreshing, if you know what I mean my friend! I like my frank and beans at just the right temp you know!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 AM

425 posts, read 1,105,811 times
Default We are comming down at Christmas time too

Yes I asked the same question a few weeks back DH is driving down with our dogsand I will fly down a few days later, this will be our first Christmas down south too, we do have a heated pool in our complex so will bring the suit, the air might be a little chilly when we get out
but what the hay.
Really looking forward to enjoying our place and relaxing. might go down to Ding Darling refuge one day we will see.
would love to get together with anyone that will be down in the area when we are down.
We are in North Port and I see beachbum wannabe is in Englewood , next town over
counting the days now

Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,149,357 times
No one can give you an honest answer on what the weather will be like because it all depends on the cold fronts....

Here in Florida, you need to carry a bathing suit, beach towel, chair, flip flops, jeans, sweatshirt, short sleeve T and long sleeve at all times in your car. You never know how when you'll need each of those items, but if you're prepared, you'll be fine.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,099,354 times
Quote:
Hey Big House, I,m still here in Western New York,and I know just how refreshing the lake water can be,but We were looking for something just a smidge less refreshing, if you know what I mean my friend! I like my frank and beans at just the right temp you know!
Well, I'm down here for the weekend - everyone was noting how cold it was - and it was maybe the high 60s (cold snap for here), today it was back in the 80s I believe. I watched the Pittsburgh game yesterday and saw the snow, so I was feeling pretty darn good about it all. I have a couple more trips planned, and they keep getting better and better. When are you coming down. I actually thought you have a place down here. - Where are ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area