Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times

Advertisements

BusinessWeek rates Pine View School in Osprey the "best overall academic performance in the state". OK, I'm not biased or anything since I have two kids that go there. Here's are a few articles about it.

http://www.sarasota.k12.fl.us/pvs/PDF/Newsbox/Pine%20View%20BusinessWeek%20ranking%20NR%202-19-09.pdf (broken link)

America's Best High Schools - BusinessWeek

America's Best High Schools: Florida - BusinessWeek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,905 times
I am curious why you don't send your kids to Northport Schools? Osprey seems like quite the drive everyday.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I am curious why you don't send your kids to Northport Schools? Osprey seems like quite the drive everyday.
We moved from Charlotte county to Sarasota county specifically so our children could attend Pineview. I knew when I was pregnant with my first kid that that's where I wanted to send her if she passed the testing.

When we moved from Charlotte county to Sarasota county the prices in Osprey were much more than we could afford so we decided to "settle on North Port" since it was in Sarasota county(which is one of the requirements for Pine View) and we could afford to live here. Now, we've really grown to like North Port but I would still prefer to be closer to the school. I love the village of Osprey and downtown Sarasota, although the downtown Sarasota area isn't much closer than North Port.

When I was pregnant with my third kid I was driving my oldest to and from school everyday-35 minutes each way. I gave her the choice to either ride the bus up to Pine View or go to one of the local North Port schools and she chose to ride the bus up to Pine View.

Now, either I or my father take the kids to school in the morning and they ride the bus home.

My little one who is starting kindergarten will be going to a North Port school-Toledo Blade Elementary. They are starting a brand new gifted program for kindergarten and she just tested into the program. Once she's in second grade, which is the grade that Pine View starts, I will be sending her there.

It's not that I dislike the North Port schools, or for that matter have much first hand experience with them, it's just that Pine View is a good fit for my kids and my family so I'm willing to make the sacrifice of time, gas, etc to get them there. That's the long and the short of it

Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
We moved from Charlotte county to Sarasota county specifically so our children could attend Pineview. I knew when I was pregnant with my first kid that that's where I wanted to send her if she passed the testing.

When we moved from Charlotte county to Sarasota county the prices in Osprey were much more than we could afford so we decided to "settle on North Port" since it was in Sarasota county(which is one of the requirements for Pine View) and we could afford to live here. Now, we've really grown to like North Port but I would still prefer to be closer to the school. I love the village of Osprey and downtown Sarasota, although the downtown Sarasota area isn't much closer than North Port.

When I was pregnant with my third kid I was driving my oldest to and from school everyday-35 minutes each way. I gave her the choice to either ride the bus up to Pine View or go to one of the local North Port schools and she chose to ride the bus up to Pine View.

Now, either I or my father take the kids to school in the morning and they ride the bus home.

My little one who is starting kindergarten will be going to a North Port school-Toledo Blade Elementary. They are starting a brand new gifted program for kindergarten and she just tested into the program. Once she's in second grade, which is the grade that Pine View starts, I will be sending her there.

It's not that I dislike the North Port schools, or for that matter have much first hand experience with them, it's just that Pine View is a good fit for my kids and my family so I'm willing to make the sacrifice of time, gas, etc to get them there. That's the long and the short of it
I never realized they offered busing. Thats great especially for working parents. I agree with you as far as making sacrifices when it involves their education. It will pay off when they are older and we don't have to support them and they can support us.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I never realized they offered busing. Thats great especially for working parents. I agree with you as far as making sacrifices when it involves their education. It will pay off when they are older and we don't have to support them and they can support us.
They REALLY need to get a good education. Ya know, somebody has to pay for my nursing home expenses when I'm older. j/k

Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
They REALLY need to get a good education. Ya know, somebody has to pay for my nursing home expenses when I'm older. j/k
Exactly We are going to be doing a 25min drive each way for PRESCHOOL that only goes from 9:15-11:30am My son tested into an advanced program (he'll be 4 in Nov) & I just can't see how I can deny him the CHANCE. I tell my dh that an education cannot be taken from you & that next to a healthy home life, this is the best thing we can do for our children.

(I'm taking a break from our already 79 degree day & purusing the internet, SoFlGal)

Old 04-26-2009, 04:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
just wondered if other counties in FL did the magnet school for G/T students like PineView--with grades 2-12 at same location--makes it seem very much like private school but in same way it can be also too much of the same thing...if you know what I mean...
PineView is trying to avoid cutting teachers next year by restructuring some grade levels that are fuller or smaller numbers than this year's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area