Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at Venice on-line and I see that the population is mostly all older people. We are in our mid-late 60's and wonder if we would be able to make friends there? I see that 15% are 85+. I'm worried that living there would be mostly people much older than us.

Is it a friendly place in general?

Is there much to do or is it boring after a few months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
Not as much stuff to do as there is in Sarasota I don't think. From what I know, it is saturated with older people. Maybe Sarasota or Ft. Meyers would be a better choice for you?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Venice is an area with a large percentage of 'seniors'. If you are into senior activites, there are many groups to join and activites to do.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
If you go to the City of Venice web site and go to the Tour Book on the right hand side of the page you can see some of the things to do in Venice. It also has lots of pictures and videos. It includes quality of life, relocation, education, history, things to do, shopping and dining, healthcare and senior living, tourism and attractions and business and industry. Welcome to the official City of Venice, FL Web site

Venice gets very crowded during the winter months. If you are friendly and take the time to get involved in things or live in a development that has activities you will definitely be able to make friends. Sarasota is not that far north of Venice if you want to go to any of the attractions up there. Venice has activities on Main Street such as farmers market, craft shows, car shows and more. It also has the beaches, the jetty's, the parks, shopping, and dining.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We've been looking at Venice on-line and I see that the population is mostly all older people. We are in our mid-late 60's and wonder if we would be able to make friends there? I see that 15% are 85+. I'm worried that living there would be mostly people much older than us.

I think you would enjoy Sarasota far more. Venice is a cute little town, but it doesn't really have that much going on, and yes, it is very old. Also, while there are also older people in Sarasota, they seem to be much more active and hipper - sometimes "old" is a state of mind, you know what I'm saying? Just a much more vibrant vibe here. Just my .02 cents.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,680,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think you would enjoy Sarasota far more. Venice is a cute little town, but it doesn't really have that much going on, and yes, it is very old. Also, while there are also older people in Sarasota, they seem to be much more active and hipper - sometimes "old" is a state of mind, you know what I'm saying? Just a much more vibrant vibe here. Just my .02 cents.
Bingo... If you are young at heart, active & like to really get out & enjoy things, then stick with Sarasota.

If your biggest concern is getting to Perkins for the 5:00 early bird special, then Venice is for you

Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM

338 posts, read 1,012,743 times
My husband and I live in Venice. We are not seniors and we love it here. It has plenty of stores,beaches,movie theaters, and a nice down town. They have art festivals, and various other gatherings throughout the year. The plus as far as we are concerned is less traffic and choice of beach areas to go to. It is not far from Sarasota for even more entertainment options.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

The people are way too old , it is unfriendly and boring , so please look elsewhere so this magnificent town does not get overpopulated....

On a serious not my wife and I are 46 and yes the population is elderly. However , we have found as many things to do here as we can keep up with and have made many friends. Boring is a state of mind, ( some may even call it relaxing ). With a small town feel , wonderful waterfront and a main street that rivals any on ANY coast, the ability to be in Sarasota in 25 minutes or the keys in a couple hours , this is heaven to us. Come visit and make up your mind , I was very sleptical before we bought here . Im a believer now.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 AM

338 posts, read 1,012,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tednshmoo View Post
The people are way too old , it is unfriendly and boring , so please look elsewhere so this magnificent town does not get overpopulated....

On a serious not my wife and I are 46 and yes the population is elderly. However , we have found as many things to do here as we can keep up with and have made many friends. Boring is a state of mind, ( some may even call it relaxing ). With a small town feel , wonderful waterfront and a main street that rivals any on ANY coast, the ability to be in Sarasota in 25 minutes or the keys in a couple hours , this is heaven to us. Come visit and make up your mind , I was very sleptical before we bought here . Im a believer now.
I just want to know how you get to the Keys in a couple of hrs? I want to know that route!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debvic View Post
I just want to know how you get to the Keys in a couple of hrs? I want to know that route!
Ok Ok so maybe thats optimistic but its not that far....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area