Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 PM

122 posts, read 323,713 times

Advertisements

They're all the Devil, and Comcast is Satan himself.

IMO, Dish Network has the best HD, and if you buy the equipment on eBay, you can sign up month to month. Just make sure the receiver has a $0 balance. We have the HD package and the locals for $25 a month, and I have no contract. FTTH is the way to go for your internet, whoever the provider. Hell, we're still in the day where people are too dumb to close their home networks, and you can probably leach WiFi from them for free...especially in large neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 PM

175 posts, read 543,978 times
FWIW, I have Verizon FIOS broadband and TV. The broadband is as solid as I have ever seen; it has not been down once since I got it and never needs the typical modem reboot that Comcast seems always to need. I had Comcast in MI and it was always down. No land-line, just cell from AT&T. I don't see the point of a phone that stays put when I move around!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 AM

164 posts, read 383,280 times
glad to see this thread. I will look into the Verizon & Embarg suggestions .

We have not used a phone line in years either.

Currently we have Dish for TV & Comca$t for internet. We are paying WAY to much $$$ for comcast .

I am online all the time & need a fairly quick connection, but gotta get costs down

Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 AM

383 posts, read 1,024,301 times
Keep those comments coming, Cause I'm still thinkin' and I see such a wide -range of options,plus I can see other people are curious too.So far the FIOS idea sounds pretty good,and we are pretty commited to NOT have a land-line phone,by the way.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:28 PM

175 posts, read 543,978 times
The other thing I like about FIOS is that the HD picture is super sharp. Regular channels look pretty nice too. But the real selling point for me was super-stable and fast broadband.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:24 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,499 times
beachbum wannabe, I feel your pain, we have good ole dial up also, it sucks so bad, but at the moment we have only 1 option, through a satelite co. for $70 a month, no thanks. I will wait till we get moved to Florida also or wait for something else.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
Keep those comments coming, Cause I'm still thinkin' and I see such a wide -range of options,plus I can see other people are curious too.So far the FIOS idea sounds pretty good,and we are pretty commited to NOT have a land-line phone,by the way.
We switched from Comcast to FIOS here in MD, and will be making the change to FIOS when we get to Florida later this month. Verizon first began to offer DLS in order to compete with Cable, the FIOS solution which is really taking hold is a much better faster and more reliable system. It's not offered everywhere yet though.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
We switched from Comcast to FIOS here in MD, and will be making the change to FIOS when we get to Florida later this month. Verizon first began to offer DLS in order to compete with Cable, the FIOS solution which is really taking hold is a much better faster and more reliable system. It's not offered everywhere yet though.
Thanks for the input BH ,FIOS is sounding better all the time, and nobody seems to have much good to say about Comcast so far, which was what I was thinking about originally,before this thread.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 AM

By the way what kind of $ am I looking at for middle of the road TV- package with internet on FIOS?(No xtras like sports or movie packages,etc.)

Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
By the way what kind of $ am I looking at for middle of the road TV- package with internet on FIOS?(No xtras like sports or movie packages,etc.)
Without a Verizon phone your looking at about 55 for internet:
Verizon | FiOS Internet: Plans

and 50 for TV:
Verizon | FiOS TV Packages and Plans

And they don't do billing unless you have a phone, they only charge a credit / debit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area