Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM

14 posts, read 36,734 times

Advertisements

we are moving to Sarasota from Cape Cod in about a month and we are considering driving down in our 2 cars with our 5 kids (6-16) rather than pay airfare and pay someone to drive one of our cars down. we would be taking 95 from boston all the way to FL.

if anyone has done it can you share your experience.

did you stop one night and get there the next day ?

how long did you drive each day ?

where is a good place to stop mid-way for a relaxing night at a decent hotel with an indoor pool.

did you stop in the middle of each day for a break and sightseeing somewhere ?

what about timing with rush hour through the DC-Balt area ?

thanks for your help ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapelad View Post
we are moving to Sarasota from Cape Cod in about a month and we are considering driving down in our 2 cars with our 5 kids (6-16) rather than pay airfare and pay someone to drive one of our cars down. we would be taking 95 from boston all the way to FL.

if anyone has done it can you share your experience.

did you stop one night and get there the next day ?

how long did you drive each day ?

where is a good place to stop mid-way for a relaxing night at a decent hotel with an indoor pool.

did you stop in the middle of each day for a break and sightseeing somewhere ?

what about timing with rush hour through the DC-Balt area ?

thanks for your help ?

I'll let other tell you about their trips all the way down. But I live in the Baltimore area, so I can tell you about the drive down from there.

I have driven down several times now, and with out a doubt, driving around the beltways in Baltimore and DC are the most arduous, difficult, nasty part of the trip, so good luck, especially if you hit rush hour. I ALWAYS leave at 4:30 AM, just so I can avoid all the traffic. It can easily add several hours to your trip if you hit it at the wrong time. So, when you come down through there, adjust your timing accordingly. Sleep over, stop for an early / lengthy breakfast or dinner - what ever - its better than just sitting in a car in bumper to bumper traffic and having to deal with it. Or time it so you can come through there late at night (after 8:00PM) and then sleep over in Richmond or something. Richmond is 4-1/2 hours or so south of Baltimore.

After you make it through those beltways you're home free. It is a long, but pleasant drive down from there. If you want to do a little site seeing, I would get off and visit Charleston for the night if you're timing works out, and you want to make a three day trip out of it. Charleston SC is a beautiful city on the water, and the historic district has many nice restaurants to visit. Its a good break-point. If you stop in Charleston, I think it is about 9-10 hours to my house in PGI, FL.

I am just north of Baltimore, and I make it in one non-stop (except for gas and to let my dog take his breaks) all the way to Punta Gorda, which is another hour south of Sarasota. I travel the speed limit (or just a tad over) the whole way, and use my GPS (which I'm exceptionally good at not listening to). The trip takes me 17-18 hours, when I leave my home in Timonium, near White Marsh (if you're coming down 95). For milestones. I hit Richmond in about 4-1/2 hours, and when I get to Jacksonville - it is exactly 5 hours to my house. So it would be about 4 hours if you're going to Sarasota.

I have also taken a leisurely trip, and stopped at both Williamsburg for the day. It is 6 hours from my house in MD. Again, left at 4:30 AM to avoid all the traffic - you're obviously aware it's a pain around Baltimore and DC. In Williamsburg there is the historical part, and many great restaurants and hotels to stay, plus the old town area is really a good place to stretch the legs. It is an hour off 95, you will go east on Rt 64 when you get to Richmond.

If I were you, I'd take a minute, and draw out a "time-line", you can google how long it takes to get from place to place, so you can schedule things you want to avoid, when to be on the road, and when you want to get to where you want to take a break.

Another option, which can be a tough scheduling thing, is to take the train down. You can even have them transport your car all the way down to just past Orlando, and then drive the rest of the way from there. I haven't done it, but friends of mine have, and they feel it is the best way to go.

Good Luck, and check back and let us know how you made out.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 PM

425 posts, read 1,104,617 times
Default we are in Ct

for us we drive out 84 and down 81, you can either go trhough DC, or Like BigHouse said, Richmond.
We do it in 2 days,its just to much for us in one, and we usually have our 3 dogs with us.
comming back a few years ago we stayed in florence S.C.,sorta seedy place we stayed at, and then another time we stayed in fayetville, N.C., another seedy place, but it was cheap.
I would say if your taking 2 cars down , make a trip out of it,or if you want I think Amtrak has a train you can put the cars on that way. that would be fun for the kids, but that might cost a chunk.
Best wishes on whatever you choose, but darn I sure would stay at the Cape, I loooooooove the Cape.but not in the winter

Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM

29 posts, read 68,780 times
We did take the Auto train down this past summer when we moved from Long Island to Sarasota (Osprey). We left around 7 a.m. from my parents' house in northern NJ, had lunch at our favorite deli in Silver Spring, then got to the Auto Train station in Lorton, VA (just south of DC) around 1:30 pm just in time for loading. We were moving 2 cars and 3 kids. We took 2 sleeper cars joined together and even so, after pricing gas for the two cars, hotels, etc. we paid a little bit more but it was So. Worth. It. The kids were really intrigued, we had a nice relaxing dinner, they could move around in the train, and when we woke up it was only an hour or so until we got to Sanford, FL (a little bit northeast of Orlando). Detraining was a pain, since our cars were of course some of the last off the train and there is not much shelter to speak of at the Sanford station. But it took us around 2.5 hours to get from there to Osprey.

We are going north for the summer to visit family and will probably take the Auto Train at least one way again. Probably one way we will make more of a 'trip' and do some sightseeing somewhere.

Good luck and welcome to FL! We are very happy with our move.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
My wife and I have driven down from Rhode Island a couple of times (the second was with a Penske truck to move down here).

I would definitely recommend leaving at night (say around 7:00pm) so you can get through NY at night and hopefully past Washington before rush hour.

I got stuck in a 4 hour traffic jam in Virginia on my second trip, so believe me that is no fun.

There are plenty of decent places to stop, other people may make some specific recommendations. I'd just stop anywhere between North and South Carolina.

Like others have said, once you leave the insanity of the Northeast, the rest of the trip is easy.

Just remember, Florida is one big state. I must have driven about 6 hours from the Florida State line to my home in North Port. When you see the Florida line...you're not there just yet.

Good Luck,

Mikey

Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 AM

49 posts, read 94,403 times
We also are driving down in May. About 5000 miles from Anchorage to North Port. Still snowing here today, but they tell me it's warm & sunny down there. Looking forward to unthawing. We probably won't try to drive it straight through.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Just remember, Florida is one big state. I must have driven about 6 hours from the Florida State line to my home in North Port. When you see the Florida line...you're not there just yet
I always get a funny look when I tell people the Fla state line is my halfway point.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 PM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
my family used to do it. we went from Long Island, NY so you have a few more hours to go than. We stopped for the night in South Carolina. i used to read and listen to music. my brother played video games. We did the ride once in a little chevy cavalier lol The destination was in the CLearwater area so, a long ride even once into FL. I think it depends on how much your kids can tolerate car rides and entertaining themselves.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 13,381 times
thanks everyone !

i'm still not sure i want to tackle this. may just have them fly down and me and my nephew will drive the cars.

the train is intriguing but pricey (twice as much as a flight from boston !).

keep the tips coming and i will let you know what we do.

john

Old 04-08-2010, 05:41 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
My neighbors snowbird to FL each year with their car. They have tried it all - and swear the best choice is the autobus. Welcome to Auto-Bus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area