Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 AM

879 posts, read 1,954,239 times

Advertisements

we are looking at relocating to Sarasota in July if all goes according to plan

That means dealing with a house that is not really ready to sell (needs repairs etc) , packing up a family of 4 + dog and making a swift move.

What to do first? We don't plan to sell the house immediately or buy a house immediately. We are coming from NY so it's not like the back & forth travel will be horrible or too expensive. But i do want to start fixing it up and packing all the non-essentials. I figure I will start with the basement and attic. I have been getting rids of lots of stuff.

I just need to make sure the kids can get comfortable and settle into school and that DH has a quiet home office to work from.

My head is totally spinning and ready to pop off when i try to work out the logistics!! *argh*

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:28 AM

477 posts, read 987,709 times
We're in the same boat as you! I have SO much to go through and sell/donate/throw away and I haven't even started. We have 4 kids and two dogs and we plan on a July move, as well. I'm hoping we can find a good rental home in a great neighborhood/schools for the family. My dh needs a nice home office, too.

I'm spiraling!!!! I'm spiraling!!!! LOL!

I think the first thing to start out with is going through/packing up things not used everyday. Basement/attic is a good place to start. I still have boxes in the basement unopened from our last move 4 years ago! Not having a basement is going to take some adjusting to. I'm also going to start going through drawers/cabinets/closets and such while the kids are at school. If we haven't touched/used something for a year, it's GONE!

Upon arrival, set up the kitchen and bathrooms first. (Learned this from my mother who has moved too many times to count) That way you can feel a bit settled right away. Then work on the bedrooms/home office. I'm also going to try to set up cable/internet appointments before our move, since this can take a couple weeks sometimes.

I probably didn't help you out any but just know that you are not alone! Good luck with your move and keep us posted. I know it will all be worth it once we are down there...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:39 AM

93 posts, read 150,381 times
same boat here house not sold yet new one not ready yet, but willing to rent, then go tru another winter

Old 04-10-2010, 10:46 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,979 times
Default keep your sanity.

I recommend a critical eye on decluttering to stage your house.
go room by room. try to clear one room first to use for separating your stuff into keep, donate or sell, pack for storage.
rent either a PODS or similar storage unit offpremises.
be ruthless. if you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it.
keep in mind that decluttering is the best way of making your house look presentable and ROOMY. This is the most important step to sell other than pricing right. separate your clothing into winter and summer and store that which you're not using.
hold a garage sale first then donate.

It took me three months to stage and declutter a four bedroom house. it sold in two days.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 AM

oh brother! well, at least we can all support each other! Let's keep this thread open to stress, vent and share ideas as we go!

beachymom: I am spiraling too!!! :P and...i have boxes in the basement and attic from when we moved in 10 years ago!!! lol How are we going to live without basements??? I am a messy artist and work in the basement! I am wondering what I am going to do about that! Are you planning to sell your house before/while moving or get settled then go back & forth to sell it?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
I recommend a critical eye on decluttering to stage your house.
go room by room. try to clear one room first to use for separating your stuff into keep, donate or sell, pack for storage.
rent either a PODS or similar storage unit offpremises.
be ruthless. if you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it.
keep in mind that decluttering is the best way of making your house look presentable and ROOMY. This is the most important step to sell other than pricing right. separate your clothing into winter and summer and store that which you're not using.
hold a garage sale first then donate.

It took me three months to stage and declutter a four bedroom house. it sold in two days.
thanks photoman_6. good advice

where did you move from? if wish i only had to think about decluttering and cleaning *sigh* I would be less stressed! We have a 40 yr old kitchen and bathroom that we never got around to remodeling. Granted, we bought the house as a fixer-upper and did a *ton* of fixer-upper'ing lol there is still alot that needs fixin' and doin'!! All the things we have put off are suddenly staring me in the face! I don't feel like there is enough time in the day!!

I have been freecycling and throwing stuff out like crazy. i don't think i have time for a garage sale. the prep and actual sale is too time consuming. I have been ebaying stuff too. that's better way to use the time in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:21 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,979 times
i am moving from Long Island, NY. I'm down here in Sarasota for two weeks to prep the house and greet the movers. Unfortunately we are still stuck in Long island til July and are living in a furnished home til then.
My house sold in 2 days and we went through a short sale here in only six weeks, so most of our timetable was moved up a lot, except for the moving part.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,256 times
Hmm we made our move from Chicago pretty quickly also..pack up what your not using.. and investigate storage units in the area you want to land in.That way you can bring some extra stuff and sort through it later is need be. Also, check out apartments and ask here for good referrals.. that way you can rent ASAP when you get here and won't waste time shopping for a place to rent, especially helpful since you have a dog. Be sure you know the area school you will be assigned to, watch out for the neighborhoods. Use this forum for advice, we moved four years ago..and now Im dishing out the advice to help others escape the cold! Have a calm mind, and trust me.. its worth it- It may very well be the hardest thing you ever do in your life..it was for me..but oh so worth it!!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 PM

great! I am actually in the process of renting a temp. place for "home base" for a few months then I will look for a bigger place we can all move into. SO much to learn - I have NO idea what I am doing lol

Old 04-10-2010, 03:52 PM

477 posts, read 987,709 times
Oobie, you just said what I have been thinking about...getting a rental unit and dealing with the excess later..I can't go through it ALL in this short period of time. Great idea!

Oh, jnanner...yes this is a perfect place for us to vent, freak out, be excited...whatever! We can both find a way to deal without a basement...maybe a garage can be your new art space since there really isn't a great need to put cars in the garage in Florida?? Get a little air conditioning unit for the garage (they even have ones that don't require a window).

Just looking forward to hearing about everyone's success stories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area