Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM

325 posts, read 1,023,924 times

Advertisements

This article is somewhat old, but tells of a good lesson when purchasing a home between 2001 and 2008 with the Chinese tainted drywall problem.
Always hire an independent Chinese Drywall Inspector that can take samples and have them analyzed at a independent lab.

Home Inspections are not enough and visual inspections are non-insurable
Realtors hid bad drywall, suit alleges | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuild View Post
This article is somewhat old, but tells of a good lesson when purchasing a home between 2001 and 2008 with the Chinese tainted drywall problem.
Always hire an independent Chinese Drywall Inspector that can take samples and have them analyzed at a independent lab.

Home Inspections are not enough and visual inspections are non-insurable
Realtors hid bad drywall, suit alleges | HeraldTribune.com
I think every home buyer should pay the what $300, or so to have the home tested by a company recognized, for testing drywall. I would make sure that any inspection agency I hire would be recognized by the State of Florida and "NACHI" certified. It makes sense, then you know you have a house that is safe for you and your family to live in, and will someday be a good investment without the risk of finding out someday that it had/has CDW.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 PM

The actual inspections run about $1200.00 to $1500.00 for the samples to be run through the x-ray machine, this test is really the only true test to measure for the Tainted drywall.
Air testing is very un reliable and visual is a great way to see if there are any characteristics of tainted drywall.
Last house I tested can back positive through the home had no signs of Chinese Drywall (no odor, no corrosion on the copper wires or fixtures)
The material testing is the only test that is backed by the CSPS (Consumer safety products service) and is insurable

Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Angry The nerve!!!!!!!

Quote:
The actual inspections run about $1200.00 to $1500.00 for the samples to be run through the x-ray machine, this test is really the only true test to measure for the Tainted drywall.
This could get very expensive after the second or third home. You would think the Gov. would do something about these tainted homes as it does with neighborhoods poisoned with toxic waste (think Love Canal in NY). How unethical for a RE agent to even try and sell such a home and for the home owner to knowingly stick a new person with such a house.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Yes, it is a sad event

Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 PM

48 posts, read 114,194 times
Kbuild, did i read right? You inspected a home with NO telltale signs of CDW and when you sent out for lap test it was positive! Wow!! that is really scary! I have a 2004 home, and since we see no sign or corrosion or odor we think we are safe, are you saying it is possible that this is not the case? If so, this problem is going to get a lot worse for the entire state!
YIKES, buyer beware!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia pollatos View Post
Kbuild, did i read right? You inspected a home with NO telltale signs of CDW and when you sent out for lap test it was positive! Wow!! that is really scary! I have a 2004 home, and since we see no sign or corrosion or odor we think we are safe, are you saying it is possible that this is not the case? If so, this problem is going to get a lot worse for the entire state!
YIKES, buyer beware!
It is really not the norm that you will find no signs of CDW. Unless someone made some significant changes in order to hid it. CDW outgases, and it is the out gas that is corrosive, and causes other irritations. The certified inspectors do a good job, and are trained in finding it. Yes, there are lab tests, and microscope work that can be done very quickly. Also, they have micro cameras, that can view the back side of the drywall, and are fed through some of the small knockouts in electrical boxes and they can read who the manufacture's are on the back-side of the board. So they can see inside the walls, they can also check the ceilings. Other inspections include examining the fan coils in the HVAC system, and in the rear of the refrigerator. They examine the wiring in the outlets and devices, of course, and look at the plumbing, and copper pipe, and fitting for any corrosion, as well as metal hinges, light fixtures, metal doors or jambs, and so forth. Good inspectors can generally tell quickly, and give you a comfort level. More in-depth laboratory tests can be done, if anything questionable shows up during the inspection, or if one wants 100% certainty. The more eleaborate, and extensive the tests the more costly they become. The closer you get to 100% the harder and more costly it becomes. Generally, you can have a good thorough inspection, with some lab work for around $300.00, and for what you get, I think it is worth it.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia pollatos View Post
YIKES, buyer beware!
Virginia, I was really surprised to find out.
The only sign the home did have was a small shade of dis colorization of the electrical copper wire.
But that was not a huge red flag.
There was no Air handler coils corroded,
No, plumbing fixtures, mirrors, water valves, hot water heater valves, copper wires behind the receptacles, Hollowed ceramic tiles against the walls and any markings behind the drywall and no smell.

Other inspectors who use the same lab as I do, have had homes that show no warning signs, have the home come up positive.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
It is really not the norm that you will find no signs of CDW. Unless someone made some significant changes in order to hid it. CDW outgases, and it is the out gas that is corrosive, and causes other irritations. The certified inspectors do a good job, and are trained in finding it. Yes, there are lab tests, and microscope work that can be done very quickly. Also, they have micro cameras, that can view the back side of the drywall, and are fed through some of the small knockouts in electrical boxes and they can read who the manufacture's are on the back-side of the board. So they can see inside the walls, they can also check the ceilings. Other inspections include examining the fan coils in the HVAC system, and in the rear of the refrigerator. They examine the wiring in the outlets and devices, of course, and look at the plumbing, and copper pipe, and fitting for any corrosion, as well as metal hinges, light fixtures, metal doors or jambs, and so forth. Good inspectors can generally tell quickly, and give you a comfort level. More in-depth laboratory tests can be done, if anything questionable shows up during the inspection, or if one wants 100% certainty. The more eleaborate, and extensive the tests the more costly they become. The closer you get to 100% the harder and more costly it becomes. Generally, you can have a good thorough inspection, with some lab work for around $300.00, and for what you get, I think it is worth it.
Bighouse, that is true in some instances, though the only insurable testing is Material Data Sampling.
I have all the equipment you have described in your above post. Though inspectors can miss finding branding with a scope.
If the visual and smell testing is so thorough, then all inspectors would back it up.
But, we cannot.
When dealing with peoples health and potential lawsuits I will continue to use the lab. Because they have my back and the consumers.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Bighouse, that is true in some instances, though the only insurable testing is Material Data Sampling.
I have all the equipment you have described in your above post. Though inspectors can miss finding branding with a scope.
If the visual and smell testing is so thorough, then all inspectors would back it up.
But, we cannot.
When dealing with peoples health and potential lawsuits I will continue to use the lab. Because they have my back and the consumers.
You will never find me disagree when it comes to the personal decisions that one might make when it comes to safety or health. But again, there are levels of satisfaction vs. cost vs. benefit that one needs to attain, by themselves, through the advice of an inspector, lawyer, doctor, . . . . . or other sources. The level of testing can reach a point of deminishing returns. One could argue that they need to test every single piece of drywall to be certain that it does not contain the characteristics of the handful of various chinese drywall manufacturers. Even then, that does not protect them against other material defects that could be just as bad, and that exposure knowingly or unknowingly, could be even worse for them. There are a wide range of adheasives for example that are used extensively throughout the construction of homes today, and they out-gas a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area