Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity that will lead me to Savannah, GA. It's a brand new city for me, as I've never lived outside the state of Texas. I plan on visiting in December and checking out some rent houses there. I have a few questions, and I appreciate anyone who has the patience to help me out!

1. We probably have a $600-$900 a month range, as far as rent goes. Can we find a 3br house in a safe neighborhood in that price range? We are willing to settle for a 2br, if need be. Our general rule of thumb is that we're not lookin' for something hoity-toity, but we don't want to get shot leaving the house either! What neighborhoods should we check out?

2. Any recommendations for realtors? We'd like to hook up with someone who can show us some places to rent.

3. We have two ball pythons... how easy will it be to obtain supplies for them(rats, bedding, etc etc)?

4. Please tell me about the food.

5. My husband has a dual associates degree in IT and an A+ certification... how is the IT job market there? Will he have issues finding work? Where's the best place for him to obtain his bachelors in town?

6. For anyone familiar with Dallas or Austin, how does living in Savannah compare?

Edit: A little about us... we're a childfree mid-to-late-twenties couple. I do artwork and would love to go back to college for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:32 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
For the hundredth time I wish there was a single go to map that outlines where newcomers could live. But it seems to me that plenty of other people managed to move here without the aid of such.

There are a couple of real estate people who follow this forum, I'll let them handle recommendations.

Or you can use the local newspaper and craigslist and go that route. Trust your gut on neighborhoods. Once you locate a neighborhood you like, drive around and look for homes for rent. The price you will be shopping for will put you on the edge of nice and not so nice, so you should probably write here again and get opinions on the neighborhoods you're looking in if you don't feel sure.

You should have no problem finding supplies for your snakes.

There's good food here. Look for relevant threads.

Don't know about jobs in IT.

Austin is probably more fun than Savannah and Dallas is probably less interesting, based on what I've heard. You'll find plenty to keep yourself entertained.

SCAD is as expensive as schools get. Some people think it's not worth it. It's been good for Savannah, regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area