Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,154 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and wanted to say hi. So, Hi!

I am originally from Savannah and Tybee. Not a rich guy and never have been. Back when I was on Tybee you could still rent a house for a regular price. It didn't have all the hotels all over either. You could still see the beach from the road! Wish it still looked that way.

I moved to Indiana when I was about 11. Lived there until I was 34.
Now I live in Warner Robins, GA. My wife and I decided to move here
after I was in a bad motorcycle accident from someone who was break checking the guy behind him. Long story short I ended up with a busted hip and 26 screws holding it together. I had my back left Lat muscle and I lost my right leg below the knee. I now use my amputation to bring hope and joy to children of all ages by dressing up as a Star Wars Stormtrooper. I joined the Vaders Fist 501st Star Wars Costume club. We are a world wide club that builds costumes that are above movie quality. We mostly use them to help raise money for children charities and to do hospital visits as well as promotions for Lucas Films Limited. I have a few pictures of me trooping as what we call The AmpTrooper in my pictures here on the forum. Stand for Amputee Stormtrooper.

Anywho, we are wanting to move back to Savannah. Problem is, things have changed a lot since I lived there. I have been reading on the forum here about how horrible things have gotten there. Because of my accident we lots more then my leg. We lost our home as well because I was the bread winner. I had just put my wife through Nursing school. She is now and LPN. So, we have to rent and we can't afford much. Maybe max of about 950$ and we have 4 kids. 3 girls and one boy. So the girls can share a room. We also have 2 dogs. I have found lots of housing in that price range but, people have told me that those areas are REALLY bad. But, i don't know what the truth about it is. I just don't know where the "bad" areas are and how bad they are. I have also read and heard that the school system in that area is really bad and there is a lot of violence in the schools. Can any one help me out here. Maybe a list of "bad" areas so we know where not to go.

Thanks and God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Have you looked on Wilmington Island? You may be able to find a 3 BR in that price range (or just a tad more) and the good schools / safety factor would be worth it. Also, there's a lot of rental properties in the Georgetown area (southside Savannah, between the Forest River and I-95) and you might even be able to find a small house. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, people have said that Wilmington Island may be a good spot for us because of our family size and having dogs and that the rent is not bad for what you get. They have also said the crime is very low there. So, that is defiantly in our sites. Would be cool to live closer to say River Street as we love that culture but, I do have kids and dogs to think of and a lack of money to afford anythign really nice close to the river area.

I haven't heard much about Georgetown but, I found a lot of nice looking homes for rent there. Seems as if a lot of people who have been trying to sell their homes and having no luck doing that are starting to rent them out instead. How far away is Georgetown from River Street area?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,970,338 times
Have you taken a look at the relocation thread at the top of the Savannah forum? It should help you out, especially with the subjects you're talking about.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 PM

Yeah, I just skimmed through it. Will go back and read through it better.
We are going to come down again real soon. We should be looking to move around November or December. So, not to long now. Can't wait!!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 PM

40 posts, read 153,791 times
Why would you want to move back here with kids in school?? The crime is very bad here as well.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj42660 View Post
Why would you want to move back here with kids in school?? The crime is very bad here as well.
Dude the schools are very good, you just have to be involved and get them into the right schools.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:53 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj42660 View Post
Clearly someone else is trolling for attention. We could all set her profile to "ignore".

Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
If your wife is planning on working in one of the hospitals, then the areas around Memorial Hospital and the Candler/St. Joseph complex should work well. Look at homes within the general area. You should be able to fine something within your price range.

That area would also put her in easy reach of the medical offices and specialized practices. It would make a big difference for her, especially if she were to be working shift work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: