Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 AM

643 posts, read 846,631 times

Advertisements

Before anyone posts in this thread, this isn't really about the ghetto/hood parts of Savannah. I'd rather this thread avoid turning into a politics discussion and rather would it be a more optimistic thread about things you'd like to see to make the city look much more improved.

I live on Bee and Victory, like a few blocks away from the old Police Precinct on the corner across from Grayson. My folks have lived in the same house there for decades and we've seen lots of things come and go. Was very sad to see Bowling Alley on Victory close, and the old Backus Cadillac Pontiac building right on the Victory Truman Pkwy entrance.

Here's a few places I think could be nice:

Old closed buildings on Victory and Whitaker. Right next to the Railroad tracks on Bull/Victory. There's a few stores there, a McDonalds, a liquor store and a seafood place. I'd like to see those buildings get torn down or renovated. Lots of business potential there.

Old closed buildings on Paulsen near downtown. There's a stretch of buildings on Paulsen I believe it is, that's just old closed buildings that look like they've been closed for decades. This could be put to good use as well. It could be like Habersham Village, a lovely nice small-town feel shopping center in the middle of the neighborhood. I have to admit, every time I drive through Habersham Village (sometimes I go out of my way to pass through there), I get kind of happy. Happy to see a few mom and pop shops still there, an independent grocer (Red and White), and the old styled angled parking spots. Gives you a really classic feel and you forget you're in the middle of a neighborhood but seconds away from all the traffic on DeRenne and Abercorn.

Old Sears building downtown on Drayton and Henry. Seems like that building has been dead for as long as I can remember. Would be nice if someone finally did something with it.

Montgomery Street from DeRenne to Victory. This is where the Salvation Army, Pepsi building, Post Office building, etc are. There's a lot of real estate out there that could be put to good use. I know it's on the Westside and that might be a detractor to some, but SCAD is slowly moving that way putting dorms and campus buildings there too. This is close to the Victory and Whitaker I was talking about.

17 near the old Sams building. Because of the emergence of residential boom on Chatham Parkway, Berwick, Cottonvale, they've already made more shopping centers and buildings there. There's a new Sonic there, and a random shopping center there that looks like it could use more stores. Before that though, there's a small stretch where the Old Sams Club building is, and all the motels of death. It's right off the 516 exit. Lots of potential for this area as well. I think the state would first need to improve 516 to make people wanna drive on it for starters. But everytime I pass through that part of 17 at night, I can't wait to get out of there. Just looks old and dark and scary. The Kroger closed down and they opened a Red and White grocer there. A new liquor store and dry cleaners opened as well.

President St--Islands Expressway. This is where the water treatment plant is, a bunch of pigment plants that shut down, etc. There's two new Parkers there, the old Eli Whitney school, and a new Dollar General. Probably can't do much with this but would be nice to have a nice little slew of small stores there.

Speaking of President St., does anyone know what's going to become of Hitch VIllage? Looks like they're trying to push people out of there as soon as they can. I see more windows and doors being boarded up. Someone told me there was plans of a law school coming there.

Wheaton St. Right next to the Catholic Cemetery. A few liquor stores and a chinese restaurant. Typical since it's pretty close to the ghetto. I could see lots of potential for that area as well. It's right next to the Ashley at Midtown townhouse apartments near where Stubb towers used to be.

As you can see, I'm pretty biased with the areas I'd like to see get worked on since it's all within a mile or two from where I live. It's a very important part of town for me. I'm glad to see all of the work they've done with Daffin Park (new grass, a football field, renovated sidewalks, playgrounds, and now even a dog park), and I only hope that they continue working on it more.

Glad to see that Whole Foods is coming in where the old Backus Cadillac building is. The shopping center across from it could be torn down and redone. There's an IHOP, verizon store, Baldinos there to anchor it. The Save-A-Lot closed down, and now all that's there is the Savannah Pennysaver building and a dental clinic. They've renovated the exterior of the Baldinos and shops around it. That shopping center could have so much more potential now that Whole Foods is coming across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
I'd like to see W Bay St. revitalized. It is a dumpy approach to the city from the west. I seem to remember reading that they plan to widen the road. Perhaps this will result in upgrading the area.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,942,117 times
Dark Knight, you've hit on a lot of good areas / ideas. Some have already been discussed and / or in the news. One you didn't mention was the entire Waters Avenue corridor from downtown to Victory. The city is aggressively trying to revitalize that stretch and it is in your neighborhood too. I drove it recently for the first time and was surprised at the potential -- tons of fantastic real estate through there, old homes, schools and commercial buildings that are falling down but definitely poised for restoration. To me, Waters Avenue would be a the next best area for aggressive historic preservation to go. Check it out and see if you agree.

Let me take what you've posted above and think on it awhile before I post more response. If I haven't said it already, welcome to the boards! Glad to have someone so passionate and knowledgable about Savannah!!

PS -- I also agree with Gentlearts about West Broad

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks newsboy!

Born and raised here, I used to hate this place growing up. Wanted to get out and move to a big city. (Most of that had to do with the fact that Savannah is so small that it seems like every girl I dated, I knew 3-4 guys that she dated previously that went to other schools on the other side of town).

Now that I'm older I appreciate this place for what it is. I always tell family and friends that Savannah is a big city with a small town feel. It's just about the right size. I want it to grow and expand, but I don't want it to lose it's charm. I love the diversity it has, and the beauty of it.

As for the Waters Avenue, I agree with you on how much potential it has. There's a few shut down old shops, a worn down shopping center and worn down gas station across from it. The reason I'd prefer they do something with Paulsen first is because the area I was talking about is like Habersham. Not that much traffic, and it'd be built right in the middle of the neighborhood. Waters is a much busier street and it's already clogged enough as it is.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM

There's a big old school complex on Waters between Anderson and Henry (some woman's name on it?) that's been for sale forever and just SCREAMS for SCAD to buy and repurpose it as they have so many others. But alas, it is simply too far off the beaten path and in too scary a neighborhood for even SCAD to take a chance. That speaks volumes (to me anyway) about the necessity to do something about the Waters corridor. If you pay attention to the news, it's like the Wild West over there with shootings all the time. Something must be done.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Well, hopefully the Mayor and her Police Chief get serious about their crimefighting campaign. *rolls eyes*.

SCAD doesn't really have any presence in that area on Waters so there's no reason for them to expand there.

There are a lot of boarding houses there that rent out to SCAD students, but other than that there's nothing there for SCAD to go with.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM

11,397 posts, read 24,468,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There's a big old school complex on Waters between Anderson and Henry (some woman's name on it?) that's been for sale forever and just SCREAMS for SCAD to buy and repurpose it as they have so many others. But alas, it is simply too far off the beaten path and in too scary a neighborhood for even SCAD to take a chance. That speaks volumes (to me anyway) about the necessity to do something about the Waters corridor. If you pay attention to the news, it's like the Wild West over there with shootings all the time. Something must be done.
Ramona Riley School? I thought it had sold and was being made into condos. It's a great building in a fairly convenient location when you look at the big picture. I have friends in the neighborhood and see its potential. It's in the top three areas I think are prime for inner city reinvestment.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,712,241 times
This posting should get "The Quality Post Of 2012" award.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,712,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Ramona Riley School? I thought it had sold and was being made into condos. It's a great building in a fairly convenient location when you look at the big picture. I have friends in the neighborhood and see its potential. It's in the top three areas I think are prime for inner city reinvestment.
contract cancelled

Here's what happened at the July 13 meeting of the Savannah-Chatham Public Schools Board | savannahnow.com

Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 PM

VERY INTERESTING! An earlier deal to sell Ramona Riley to SCAD fell through because of "building condition issues." When a building is in such bad shape that even SCAD won't touch it, it MUST be bad. Doesn't sound like there's much hope for saving that grand old building. What a shame. $300,000 sounds like such a bargain, but if the place is unsafe or unstable you're really just buying the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area