Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 PM

24 posts, read 37,572 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My friend and I travel all the time and usually go to Europe etc, but we have always wanted to visit NC and Savannah. We like the nature trips, the old history tours and old cemetery stuff. We heard this is the place for all of that.
I'd like some input on what to do, where to stay and nearby towns with similar feel to them.
We are coming from the Boston area next Dec.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I hear there is a zipline in Hilton Head. Savannah tour companies can offer tours on many different themes, so look them up. Bonaventure Cemetery is one of the major tour stops, and there is enough history info here to keep you busy.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM

25 posts, read 62,825 times
There are a lot of great places to stay, we stayed at the Marshall House Inn, but are considering either the Kehoe House or Mansion on Forsyth next time we go.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record because I tell everyone who will listen...I highly recommend a tour with Shannon Scott (bonaventurecemetery.com he also has a facebook page for the cemetery tours and photos). My family spent the entire day with him, did the Bonaventure Cemetery day tour where he shared pictures, stories and the history behind the cemetery, Savannah and some of the funerary art (statues) and an evening tour called the Paranormalist where we toured the squares and he shared history and paranormal stories of some of the homes, squares, and Colonial Cemetery. He is very knowledgeable and did not employ actors or scare tactics on any of his tours. My 14 year old son described his tour as a live audiobook tour, his storytelling ability is spectacular and the ones he tells will stay with you. You can tell he loves what he does and wants you to enjoy yourself as well. I know he also does a "Bonaventure After Dark" tour but we did not go on that one because we did not want to go in a group.

Oatland Island Wildlife Center is also a neat place to visit if you like nature.

We also ate at The Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's), we were playing tourist and had to, it was okay, but go to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch instead it was much, much better!

We took a carriage ride, a trolley tour, and ate ice cream at Leopold's but nothing compared to the time we spent with Shannon. We did not stay long enough to tour the Telfair Museum or any of the homes, but plan to next time.

Have a great time!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
December is a great time to visit Savannah -- too cold for the beach but mild enough to enjoy the outdoors, especially compared to Boston. Lots of special holiday events to enjoy in addition to the usual attractions ... fewer tourists ... cheaper rates

Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Really good time to visit as the weather here is very similar to your late October/early november weather. lows in the high 30's to low 40's at night, usually sunny between mid 50's to 70's in the day. Weather is very similar to central florida.

Very walking friendly city, you can park your car and explore 75% of what you want to do on foot. Good eats all around, a lot of vegetarian options, good beer scene and night life.

As for nature trips, if you like to bird watch this is a great area for that, my first year I did a lot of that while I lived in the Landings neighborhood. The coastal marsh is a really unique bio system and you can rent a boat and go out and explore the islands, rivers, and marshes. Also the beach is right here also.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:49 PM

24 posts, read 37,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lora01oh View Post
There are a lot of great places to stay, we stayed at the Marshall House Inn, but are considering either the Kehoe House or Mansion on Forsyth next time we go.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record because I tell everyone who will listen...I highly recommend a tour with Shannon Scott (bonaventurecemetery.com he also has a facebook page for the cemetery tours and photos). My family spent the entire day with him, did the Bonaventure Cemetery day tour where he shared pictures, stories and the history behind the cemetery, Savannah and some of the funerary art (statues) and an evening tour called the Paranormalist where we toured the squares and he shared history and paranormal stories of some of the homes, squares, and Colonial Cemetery. He is very knowledgeable and did not employ actors or scare tactics on any of his tours. My 14 year old son described his tour as a live audiobook tour, his storytelling ability is spectacular and the ones he tells will stay with you. You can tell he loves what he does and wants you to enjoy yourself as well. I know he also does a "Bonaventure After Dark" tour but we did not go on that one because we did not want to go in a group.

Oatland Island Wildlife Center is also a neat place to visit if you like nature.

We also ate at The Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's), we were playing tourist and had to, it was okay, but go to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch instead it was much, much better!

We took a carriage ride, a trolley tour, and ate ice cream at Leopold's but nothing compared to the time we spent with Shannon. We did not stay long enough to tour the Telfair Museum or any of the homes, but plan to next time.

Have a great time!
This is great! I will def look her up. I love nature as well Thanks for the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area