Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 8,165 times

Advertisements

I will be transferring to Ft Stewart in early December. I will be there for one year. I single and would like live in an area conducive to my living style - other singles, close shopping, recreational parks, trendy, hip dining and nightlife. I don't want to drive forever to get between home and work. I prefer a two bedroom condo or townhouse that has a small patio area.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
There isn't much of anything between Hinesville (Ft. Stewart) and Savannah. You could certainly find routine shopping in Hinesville. I don't know about trendy spots, etc. It's more or less just a small town whose main economy is Ft. Stewart.

If you lived on the outskirts of Savannah, you would be nearer the shops, etc, that you want, but you would have a 30-40 minute commute depending on traffic. Central or Eastern Savannah would add quite a bit longer because of traffic.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
There are two bedroom condo or townhouse with a small patio area on Us 17 near the Ogeechee River, The Bamboo Farm is nearby and Walmart and Keller's Flea Market, and Love's Seafood on the river

Do not know if it is full of singles, close shopping, recreational parks, trendy, hip dining and nightlife but it is about half way

Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 PM

55 posts, read 296,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissEve View Post
I will be transferring to Ft Stewart in early December. I will be there for one year. I single and would like live in an area conducive to my living style - other singles, close shopping, recreational parks, trendy, hip dining and nightlife. I don't want to drive forever to get between home and work. I prefer a two bedroom condo or townhouse that has a small patio area.

Any suggestions?
I assume since its only one year your not actually in the Army? With that said Hinesville is city immediately out the gate and its like most towns right outside the fences. Without putting it down it definetely isn't a hotspot and to be honest there is nothing in the immediate area either. What alot due is live in Richmond Hill and commute (still not a hotspot but probably 25 minutes to Stewart and about the same to Savannah depending where.

I wish you alot of luck

Old 01-24-2008, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 24,063 times
Im young, my husband is at Ft. Stewart and I will NEVER move to Hinesville. The only thing they have going for them is Walmart. We live in the Georgetown part of Savannah in a nicer, newer apartment complex. About 30-45 mins to Stewie, and 20 to downtown Savannah - where you will find the hip, trendy places.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 37,971 times
I am considering trying to transfer from Ft. Riley, KS (COOOLD in the winter HOOOT in the summer) to Hunter Army Airfield which, I gather is right on the outskirts of Savannah. I am in my late 30's and enjoy the arts, theater and love live music (Jazz Country and blues, etc) and dining out. I love to canoe and fish and camp too. I would like to live somewhere fairly close to the heart of the action (walking distance) and parks and other recreation without it being noisy all the time. I am of course, in the Army so I do not make tons of money but enough for a decent rental. I am not completely crazy about apartment complexes (not completely opposed - but wouldn't mind something a bit more bohemian or artsy.) Since I have been stuck in Ft. Riley for 2 years and am currently deployed, I wanted somewhere that I could enjoy the night life (not too wild but a nice Jazz club would be fun). [Manhattan, KS has VERY Little to do except a few Sports Bars and movies. No great shopping either. One typical yet tiny mall. A downtown area with a bunch of closed storefronts.]

Anyway, any suggestions, advice, etc. I will of course read the other forums as well.

Thanks!!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bela516 View Post
I am considering trying to transfer from Ft. Riley, KS (COOOLD in the winter HOOOT in the summer) to Hunter Army Airfield which, I gather is right on the outskirts of Savannah. I am in my late 30's and enjoy the arts, theater and love live music (Jazz Country and blues, etc) and dining out. I love to canoe and fish and camp too. I would like to live somewhere fairly close to the heart of the action (walking distance) and parks and other recreation without it being noisy all the time. I am of course, in the Army so I do not make tons of money but enough for a decent rental. I am not completely crazy about apartment complexes (not completely opposed - but wouldn't mind something a bit more bohemian or artsy.) Since I have been stuck in Ft. Riley for 2 years and am currently deployed, I wanted somewhere that I could enjoy the night life (not too wild but a nice Jazz club would be fun). [Manhattan, KS has VERY Little to do except a few Sports Bars and movies. No great shopping either. One typical yet tiny mall. A downtown area with a bunch of closed storefronts.]

Anyway, any suggestions, advice, etc. I will of course read the other forums as well.

Thanks!!
HAA is in the City of Savannah. The area is refered to as Mid-town
close to the Oglethorpe Mall and the major shopping area.
"bohemian or artsy": SCAD and the Historic Districts are close by

Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 AM

7 posts, read 37,971 times
After reading some of the other posts, some people make the crime, job situation and schooling seem horrifying, some downplay it.

I don't have to worry about job opportunities being in the military and my son goes to school in NY so i don't have to worry about schools. I am just looking for a safe neighborhood that I can enjoy nightlife and everything the city has to offer. My brother said it was a beautiful city but he has just visited there on business. From someone who lives there should a single woman be concerned that she might go down the wrong street and get mugged or worse or go to a restaurant and get her car broken into??

I am simply contemplating a move not locked into anything yet but I am feeling a bit discouraged. Ft. Riley, KS is boring as Hell but I feel safe there.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 AM

6 posts, read 48,712 times
I do not know what your living style is...but if you like having your children raped and your car stolen, then live in Savannah, particularly the Southside or the downtown area...
If you want to live close to Fort Stewart...in a nice place that is still close to Savannah...then move to Richmond Hill.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:14 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
There are some pretty nice condos and apartments on Mall Blvd. which is near Hunter. I've known a number of people over the years who have lived there. They seem quite safe, not hip, but safe. But since you will be ten minutes or less from downtown and five minutes to shopping and work, you won't be making a mistake.

As far as going downtown at night, it's best to do that with a friend. Though I don't live in the historic district anymore, (priced out, not scared out) I probably go there two or three times a week, usually to meet friends for dinner or something like that. I try to keep my "walks alone" to less than a block after dark, except in busier areas where there are more eyes on the street. If it gets late, I ask a friend to walk me to my car. That's common practice here.

I can also say that I lived in two other rougher parts of town, close to downtown. So far, I've only lost a spare tire from an unlocked truck. I think I've already told that story somewhere in this forum. LOL

BTW all of the cultural amenities and outdoor activities you mentioned are available here. And as you can probably gather, I like living in Savannah - it's a mixed bag but pretty great all in all.

Last edited by ellie; 03-15-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area