Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM

808 posts, read 1,015,673 times

Advertisements

We need more grocery chains like Kroger, Staples, Target, and Publix. Huge crowds at walmart would die down alot more. Also we need to Have a major mall makeover(not just a renovation every half decade or so like we always do). I would to see elevators, lot more chain stores and a much wider state of the art mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 12:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
^^^^Perhaps you can be pro-active and present to the above mentioned stores the opportunities they are missing? Or, seek out a developer of shopping centers and show them your ideas?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Thats exacly what i was thinking about earlier today but maybe not the same exact words. I was wondering why city leaders or council doesnt reach out to other chain stores for marketing

Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
Both Publix and Kroger had locations in S'Boro at one time. Both chose to leave the area due to the supply-chain issues. Publix seemed to open and close in a flash, with their old vacant store sitting there for years and years when I lived there in the 1990s. Everyone I talked to claimed that Publix decided it was too far away from its other locations (trucks had to drive a long way, etc.) that it wasn't worth trying to put up a fight to keep it competitive when it was practically surrounded by competitors. One of my first jobs was at that Kroger, which was in the BI-LO spot at Statesboro Mall. It was such an old facility and so far from the cluster of Krogers in Savannah (and one in Rincon) that I can see why Kroger decided to cut its losses and leave that spot.

Both were instances of "just because you build it does not mean they will come." Similarly, going overboard with an Oglethorpe-sized mall in a much smaller city would only result in a lot of financial loss for investors.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:19 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albania67 View Post
Thats exacly what i was thinking about earlier today but maybe not the same exact words. I was wondering why city leaders or council doesnt reach out to other chain stores for marketing

Well, what I had in mind was for YOU to do it. In that way perhaps you will find an answer to your query as to why it's not happening.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:52 PM

@DanielAvery: I know that our city is not as big as Savannah and that we are a smaller sized city, but look at the population of GSU! I would definitely think that a good sized mall would work here. And you have to remember that Statesboro's market not only covers Statesboro and Bulloch County's it also covers Screven, Tattnall, Jenkins, Northern Bryan, Northern Effingham, Candler, and Evans Counties that comes to shop here because they dont have much retail. We're close to Savannah but father enough away that i think this would work. @ pink caddy: lol naw im not the one to do that.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,996 times
join the movement [url]https://www.facebook.com/KrogertoStatesboro[/url]

Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Quote:
@DanielAvery: I know that our city is not as big as Savannah and that we are a smaller sized city, but look at the population of GSU! I would definitely think that a good sized mall would work here. And you have to remember that Statesboro's market not only covers Statesboro and Bulloch County's it also covers Screven, Tattnall, Jenkins, Northern Bryan, Northern Effingham, Candler, and Evans Counties that comes to shop here because they dont have much retail. We're close to Savannah but father enough away that i think this would work. @ pink caddy: lol naw im not the one to do that.

..And do you think that all those students have the same kind of disposable income as the other citizens?

What about children and the middle aged. Do students buy a lot for them? How many students do YOU know that make a six figured income? And pay their own way without help from the parents or government? Do they buy things for the house, yard, car, etc. If there was a profit making chance, someone would be opening a store to get it.

The name of the game is PROFIT, not SALES.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 AM

322 posts, read 586,752 times
Maybe Statesboro can expand their mall into a lifestyle center. It worked wonders for Augusta mall and brought in a lot more high end retail that's not in any Georgia city outside of Atlanta or even in Atlanta. Maybe the same can be done for Statesboro. I wouldnt expect high-end store to come, but maybe more chain stores. I know the Augusta Mall was already a much larger mall to begin with and Statesboro can't support a large mall,but its just a suggestion.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
@ pink caddy: lol naw im not the one to do that.
If you really want things done in your area, you've got to be proactive about it instead of preaching to the so-called choir on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area