Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
... I think this is one of the more corrupt and racist cities i have lived in ....
Quote:
...This is the greatest city I have lived in ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I stand by my statements. my neighborhood and everyday people here don't have problems at least in my experience. but the city government has problems with corruption and race, from both sides. But that is really just a side-issue with this project. the real question is how much will it cost and is it worth it.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I stand by my statements. my neighborhood and everyday people here don't have problems at least in my experience. but the city government has problems with corruption and race, from both sides. But that is really just a side-issue with this project. the real question is how much will it cost and is it worth it.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. I just thought it was funny / ironic how similar your statements were.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:40 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
ellie are you saying the City projects are all on the up and up? LOL. I think this is one of the more corrupt and racist cities i have lived in. yea I read the paper. where do you get your information? NFBPA runs this town. I have seen a few racist things in person in fact. I don't get why people are so hateful here considering how great this city is. But I would prefer to focus on this project. Instead of personal attacks. Design vs plan? No I don't know. 2 million sounds like too much for either, it looks like a rather small project. Is it a good idea? Do we need another cultural center and what is a cultural center anyway? I don't know, that is why I started the thread....
I'm saying the process is on the up and up, for the most part. It's a legal process, full of red tape. There are problems with politics and occasionally with racism, but not to the degree people complain. Sometimes, it's just sour grapes. But cronyism was rampant (and possibly more overt) when we had an all white administration, too. Not that that makes it okay.

The process by which most contractors and design firms get work with this city are more or less the same as in all major cities across the country. It's too long and detailed for me to spell out by typing on my ipad, so you need to do your own research.

The process is weighted to provide greater access for minority owned businesses. Minority is not just about race. Women, racial minorities, and people with disabilities earn some degree of preference (on a numerical score) when bidding on projects. Many big firms will add smaller, minority owned companies to their team in order to qualify for the minority inclusion status. Others, less honestly, might put a wife or daughter on their list of owners to get the points. I know of one firm where the principle used his Disabled Veterans's status to qualify as a minority owned business, despite the fact his disability wasn't exactly a disadvantage.

I haven't been keeping up with who's doing what recently. But I'm happy for any local firm that wins a design contract, even a huge one. Why? Because that firm employees dozens of local people, from architects and engineers to secretaries, IT people, and cleaning companies. They rent business equipment, buy supplies, and use many other resources that support existing local businesses -- including tipping the waiter when they've taken a potential team member out to lunch to discuss the project. Not to mention, all of this chain of fortune feeds right back into our tax base and cultural offerings. (These people buy homes, have kids, buy cars, clothes, food, go to church, yada yada.)

Last edited by ellie; 04-04-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM

To me anyway this city seems more corrupt and racist in its government than other cities I have lived in. That is all I can say. Isn't it time we get past affirmative action anyway? Two wrongs don't make a right. Anyway white people are a minority in the city. Should they start getting a preference? I say best person for the job period. And, if a bigger out of town company can build a better center, let them do it, too. You are right ellie it went from one good ol' boy network to another, white to black. It just seems silly to make up issues to fight about, I mean this is definitely one of the cooler cities around. In fact I can't believe some place in Tennessee beat us in the Best Southern Town lol.

ellie you say this center so far is on the up and up. I have seen similar projects at least the civil eng. site plan done for a tenth of this cost. I have worked at a variety of engineering firms and seen bid specs, RFPs, RFQs, proposal costing, etc. 2 mill. just seems high do you not think? Comments in this article seem to suggest the good ol' boy network at play again

http://savannahnow.com/news/2014-04-...-center-design

However the design with brick to fit in as historic sounds good, as does the green space. 19 million as a price tag, though? Hm, I hope it's good and is used a lot by citizens and groups to the full extent.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
As I suggested to Newsboy, don't ask me, ask Eileen Baker.

And since you know so much, why do you spout off such ****** ****?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
As I suggested to Newsboy, don't ask me, ask Eileen Baker.

Gurl ....

Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 AM

975 posts, read 1,150,159 times
SL = Internet troll alert. C'mon, people, please! :/

Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM

update ... Boundless opportunities for new Savannah arts center | savannahnow.com

I want intense and informed discussion of what is now and what will be, for the city. I have not nor will stoop to name calling. I will perhaps stop by the Cultural office sometime to looks at the plans as ellie said. This article is also short on detail though, I wish they would provide the plans, maps or figures that the consultant supplies in these presentations. I looked at the official website, no info on this project posted. Savannah, GA - Official Website - About Us

Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Gurl ....
You guys are hilarious!

As for this project, I'm iffy on the whole design. Either way, I hope it gets put to good use. That area of the HD has been long over due for some attention anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: