Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:42 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times

Advertisements

Hi... So my aunt has been living in Charleston for the past few years, and she is about to move, but can't decide where. The big problem is that Charleston is getting expensive unless you want to live in a dangerous area like North Charleston which is a no go. I was thinking Savannah might be ideal for her as it is still close to Charleston (her son and grandson live there), but I don't think Savannah has had the same level of price inflation as Charleston.

Ideally it would be best for her to either live in a suburban or more rural setting that is relatively close to the city and quiet. She's already approved to $125,000 for an FHA loan. I briefly saw some affordable, nice looking houses for her around Pooler, but I'm not sure how that area is as I'm not familiar with the area. I wish she could get in the country closer to the beaches, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Any tips/advice? How does Charleston compare to Savannah in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:17 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
She could also live in Walterboro, SC. It's a lovely old town and would be safer, closer, and more affordable than Savannah.

EDIT: Oh my, I apologize. Walterboro real estate looks terribly inflated. There are a few ranch style homes in her price range, but some of the listings seem way out of line.

I was just trying to keep her from driving so far.

Last edited by ellie; 02-23-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
She could also live in Walterboro, SC. It's a lovely old town and would be safer, closer, and more affordable than Savannah.

EDIT: Oh my, I apologize. Walterboro real estate looks terribly inflated. There are a few ranch style homes in her price range, but some of the listings seem way out of line.

I was just trying to keep her from driving so far.
Yeah everything around Charleston is exploding because of the mini-tech boom there. Honestly, it's starting to get to the point that unless you are in line for one of those types of jobs, you might as well move to another city.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:34 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Pooler is safe. It has its own police department and fire department and has very few incidents of crime. It has easy access to Savannah or Hilton Head, and yet, soon you will never need to leave Pooler for anything you need.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Seems to me that there should be many more affordable places closer to Charleston than Savannah ...

Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Pooler is safe. It has its own police department and fire department and has very few incidents of crime. It has easy access to Savannah or Hilton Head, and yet, soon you will never need to leave Pooler for anything you need.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Seems to me that there should be many more affordable places closer to Charleston than Savannah ...
You'd be surprised. Not only is tech boom inflating prices, but remember that Charleston is pretty restricted as far as growth grows. Savannah has a lot more free land to the south and West that can be developed versus Charleston which is constricted by geography.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Beaufort SC is a beautiful town. Check out its surrounding areas. Best of both worlds. Close to Sav and even Charleston. And beach. And has its own little downtown. Worth some Zillow time.

Pooler might also be a an idea to consider like gentle posts. Close enough to Tybee. A more 'traditional' surburban experience. Yes Sav seems a little better price range than Charleston especially the surrounding areas. Both are such nice cities to either live in or near.

Last edited by SavannahLife; 02-24-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 12:24 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Beaufort SC is a beautiful town. Check out its surrounding areas. Best of both worlds. Close to Sav and even Charleston. And beach. And has its own little downtown. Worth some Zillow time.

Pooler might also be a an idea to consider like gentle posts. Close enough to Tybee. A more 'traditional' surburban experience. Yes Sav seems a little better price range than Charleston especially the surrounding areas. Both are such nice cities to either live in or near.
But Beaufort itself is pretty dangerous according to other C-D posters. Break-ins and assaults downtown.
Don't know why Charleston's suburbs of Summerville or Goose Creek wouldn't still be affordable for most people. I realize Charleston proper and Mt. Pleasant have become pricey, but have far-north suburbs (i.e., beyond North Charleston) really become that expensive of late?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Wait, Beaufort?! Dangerous!? Assaults!? I thought it was a beautiful little town with mostly nice old retired people (and well-off mostly) and Marines? That's so sad to hear. We need to start deporting violent criminals. Tie it to foreign aid to another country. Let them make a new life there. Or something. Rainbows, grants, job programs and unicorns are not working. I am all for school programs, things to strengthen families and neighborhoods and stuff but jeez. If Beaufort is dangerous what hope do we have anywhere really. I guess advice on this thread could be summed up: to be safe, live 500 miles from a city. I mean if I could choose any city to live downtown it would be Sav, Beaufort or Charleston, they are just so cool every way. UGH....

Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
@SavLife. Just repeating what I read in recent Beaufort C-D threads (folks in nice old homes in or near downtown Beaufort, with scary incidents to tell). I understand that Charleston proper (just like downtown Savannah) is not cheap anymore, but I have met people of modest means living comfortable lives in Goose Creek and Summerville. This was several years ago. Don't know what it's like there now, but I can't believe the entire Charleston MSA has become too expensive. Doesn't make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area