Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 05:48 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times

Advertisements

Anybody been to the Korean restaurant on Montgomery? I keep hearing good things about it and would like to try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 06:08 PM

643 posts, read 845,534 times
It's ok.

It's really the only Korean place in Savannah.

If you're ever in Atlanta pink there's plenty of good places up there. You also owe me a beer!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:51 AM

98 posts, read 205,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Anybody been to the Korean restaurant on Montgomery? I keep hearing good things about it and would like to try it.
Most of the Koreans (I'm Korean) living in the Savannah area never visit the restaurant unless if they're a SCAD student who can't cook or those living in the dorms dying and desperate for a taste from back home.

It's really the only option for Korean food though, so they hold a monopoly. For the prices they charge, you can be served A+ quality Korean food in other major metropolitan cities.

The restaurant is OKAY when you're looking for something different from the usual Chinese take out. The Korean community here in SAV always have a hard time understanding why they get good reviews.

I might actually open a Korean restaurant in downtown in the near future... If things work out.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:08 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuk1219 View Post
Most of the Koreans (I'm Korean) living in the Savannah area never visit the restaurant unless if they're a SCAD student who can't cook or those living in the dorms dying and desperate for a taste from back home.

It's really the only option for Korean food though, so they hold a monopoly. For the prices they charge, you can be served A+ quality Korean food in other major metropolitan cities.

The restaurant is OKAY when you're looking for something different from the usual Chinese take out. The Korean community here in SAV always have a hard time understanding why they get good reviews.

I might actually open a Korean restaurant in downtown in the near future... If things work out.

That's bad news for me since I have had Korean food in NYC. I actually came across this restaurant while searching for "Korean Town Savannah" on Goggle . Silly me to think there would be a whole sector. LOL.
How large is the Korean community in Savannah?

BTW a search of "China town" reveals only the store on Price street for Chinese staples. I'm very familiar with this store as it is close by to my house. Great place to shop. A search for "Little Italy" brings you to a restaurant with a similar name on Wilmington. Notice how bored I was yesterday...surfing the world in vain? LOL

Old 02-07-2016, 11:34 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:

Please open a Korean restaurant downtown, it would be a great addition. As long as you take a photo of the finished dish and list the ingredients for the unknowing in a dish it would go over great. Also if you highlight the B-Que portion a lot of traditional southerners would give it a try.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
What's the name of the this Korean restaurant we're all talking about? Is it on the downtown end of Montgomery or further out? For some reason, I was thinking there's a cluster of pretty authentic Asian places out in the Montgomery Crossroad area?

Of course, lots of excellent Korean restaurants in Metro Atlanta, which has a large Korean population.

How does Savannah stack up with other Asian ethnicities? Elle seems to have the Vietnamese market cornered. And of course these's no shortage of good Thai places. How about Filipino? Cambodian? Laotian? Indonesian?

Old 02-07-2016, 04:06 PM

Kimchi 2 Restaurant - 39 Photos - Korean - Savannah, GA - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

149 E Montgomery Cross Rd
Savannah, GA 31406

Old 02-09-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
That's bad news for me since I have had Korean food in NYC. I actually came across this restaurant while searching for "Korean Town Savannah" on Goggle . Silly me to think there would be a whole sector. LOL.
How large is the Korean community in Savannah?

BTW a search of "China town" reveals only the store on Price street for Chinese staples. I'm very familiar with this store as it is close by to my house. Great place to shop. A search for "Little Italy" brings you to a restaurant with a similar name on Wilmington. Notice how bored I was yesterday...surfing the world in vain? LOL
We're a small community, there are 4 Korean churches in Savannah. I'd say there are about 300~400 Koreans living within the City of Savannah, and another 300~400 if you include the surrounding areas such as Hinesville, and Beaufort county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Please open a Korean restaurant downtown, it would be a great addition. As long as you take a photo of the finished dish and list the ingredients for the unknowing in a dish it would go over great. Also if you highlight the B-Que portion a lot of traditional southerners would give it a try.
Yeah definitely. I'm thinking about a KBBQ restaurant that is locally inspired because Korean food is still a very foreign cuisine in Savannah. Georgia Peach dipping sauce, locally sourced meats...

Last edited by deuk1219; 02-09-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
We're a small community, there are 4 Korean churches in Savannah. I'd say there are about 300~400 Koreans living within the City of Savannah, and another 300~400 if you include the surrounding areas such as Hinesville, and Beaufort county.

Yeah definitely. I'm thinking about a KBBQ restaurant that is locally inspired because Korean food is still a very foreign cuisine in Savannah. Georgia Peach dipping sauce, locally sourced meats...
Korean Fusion... As long as the average cover per plate isn't above $15 I think you will kill it. My wife doesn't like to drop $50 to $70 on dinner to her $30 to 40 plus 1 drink each is our sweet spot.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:09 AM

Hey all, according to rumors within the Korean SAV community, there will be a new Korean BBQ restaurant opening in the same strip mall as Han Me Oriental Market, the plaza in between Montgomery and White Bluff on E Derenne. They're apparently opening this Friday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area