Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 AM

370 posts, read 506,718 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on what to do during my short but sweet stay in Savannah. I live in Daytona and driving up to see if I should move there. I have never been to your great city. I enjoy theatre, art, walking around site seeing, maybe seeing a beautiful cemetery, ghost walk-good food.
Also, any advice on cheap but a nice spot to stay in Savannah?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 AM

50,452 posts, read 64,294,398 times
Comfort Suites, or Best Western on Bay St. are about the cheapest in the historic district, at around $100. and they have parking lots, which is an added bonus downtown. For a little more $$, there are several other choices. From here you will be able to walk to all of the sites and restaurants you could possibly want for a short visit. You don't really need a plan, just start walking and there is something interesting to see.
There are many squares to walk to, a cemetery, a hundred good restaurants, home tours, carriage rides, trolley tours. City Market , Broughton St, and River St. for shopping, galleries, eating, drinking and people watching. Don't forget to see the huge container ships go down the river.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:23 AM

975 posts, read 1,155,658 times
The best cemetery is worth a ride, though. Bonaventure Cemetery (Savannah, GA): Hours, Address, Free Attraction Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 08-23-2015, 12:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,285,624 times
Wormsloe. Go on the historic tour. I learned most of the things I know about this place there. Just google Wormsloe, you shall see, Jennifer! It is magical. Then Sandfly BBQ for lunch.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,989,817 times
When are you coming? September is a very big month in Savannah -- the weather is cooler, 10,000 SCAD students come back to town, lots of special events, festivals, concerts, etc. Labor Day weekend is HUGE so I hope that's not when you plan to visit.

You'll be hard pressed to find a room downtown on a any weekend, just FYI. Most of the hotels do Sunday-Monday specials if you can swing it. Otherwise, rooms are a lot cheaper out on I-95 and at Gateway (south Savannah) and there are tons of hotels around the airport in Pooler.

Here's some of the stuff happening in September:

Bacon Fest
Savannah Craft Beer Fest
First Friday Fireworks on the River
Gay Pride
Savannah International Food and Wine Fest
Gullah-Geechee Heritage Fest
Savannah Jazz Fest
Coastal Arts Fest on Tybee
Tybee Flotilla

Old 08-23-2015, 09:52 PM

25,677 posts, read 17,430,938 times
Stay downtown; don't go too cheap, though. You'll want to enjoy yourself.
Walk a lot if you can - through the old cemetery, through several of the parks and squares. Sit in the shade in one of the squares. Go into some of the old book stores. Admire the statues and the fountains.
Talk to strangers.
Learn some history.

I don't do "fests".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area