Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 07:51 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,170,659 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling that Savannah will post even higher job numbers in 2016 than it did in 2015. Savannah is on fire right now with job and population growth....
Quote:
The Savannah area labor market is booming.

The Georgia Department of Labor recently estimated that the Savannah metro area (Chatham, Bryan and Effingham counties) had 174,700 payroll jobs in February, an increase of 7,100 positions over February 2015. That 4.2 percent annual increase is probably about three times faster than the rate of population growth.

Private sector employment increased by 4.6 percent, more than twice the rate of growth of public sector jobs.

The big year-over-year gains were recorded in manufacturing (up 5.3 percent from February 2015); retail trade (up 5.1 percent); transportation, warehousing and utilities (up 5.5 percent); financial activities (up 4.7 percent); professional and business services (up 9.6 percent); educational and health services (up 4.0 percent); and leisure and hospitality (up 5.4 percent).

Construction seems to have picked up over the past year, but that sector is still not adding payroll jobs. Construction employment in February remained flat compared to a year earlier.

Despite a couple of lagging sectors and the possibility of statistical noise, the numbers suggest the Savannah area still has a robust and diversified labor market.

The estimates cited so far in this column are from the ongoing survey of payroll establishments. The estimates for the unemployment rate and other characteristics of the labor force come from a separate survey of households.

And the latest data from the household survey also suggest continued growth in employment as well as a significant decline in the Savannah metro area’s unemployment rate.

Our unemployment rate in February 2015 was 6.0 percent, but the rate fell to 5.3 percent in February 2016. Since these figures are not adjusted for seasonality, we are better off looking at annual trends rather than monthly variations.

Savannah’s unemployment rate is lower than the rate for Georgia as a whole and exactly the same as the rate for Atlanta. Among the state’s metro areas, only Athens (5.1 percent) and Gainesville (4.6 percent) had lower unemployment rates in February.

The city of Savannah has a higher unemployment rate than the metro area, but we’ve seen considerable improvement in those numbers too. In February 2015, the unemployment rate in Savannah was 6.9 percent, but the rate fell to 5.9 percent in February 2016.
City Talk: Savannah's employment boom continues | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:47 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,994 times
Construction employment has not improved since last year but construction seems to have picked up.

Code for illegals and off the books..

Old 03-27-2016, 11:57 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,112,548 times
Does anyone know where these Savannah jobs are? (Besides in health care and perhaps public schools, which have a shortage in middle-school teachers.) Are these positions all in Effingham and Bryan Counties? The problem in Savannah, especially for college grads, has always been JOBS. Many young Savannahians still take off for Atlanta, and now I run into more young ex-Savannahians on the plane when I visit Savannah (they are visiting too, from New York, Washington, Boston, Chicago). I was the rarity in the old days -- Savannah boy who went up north -- but no longer. And everyone tells me the Savannah economy is just not offering much, even though employment is "exploding."

Old 03-27-2016, 05:09 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,994 times
White collar professional jobs are scarce due to our lack of regional and national offices.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,978,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
White collar professional jobs are scarce due to our lack of regional and national offices.
The good ole boys still haven't figured out that's where the money is at I'm assuming. Particularly tech.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Does anyone know where these Savannah jobs are? (Besides in health care and perhaps public schools, which have a shortage in middle-school teachers.) Are these positions all in Effingham and Bryan Counties? The problem in Savannah, especially for college grads, has always been JOBS. Many young Savannahians still take off for Atlanta, and now I run into more young ex-Savannahians on the plane when I visit Savannah (they are visiting too, from New York, Washington, Boston, Chicago). I was the rarity in the old days -- Savannah boy who went up north -- but no longer. And everyone tells me the Savannah economy is just not offering much, even though employment is "exploding."

Well sticking to Savannah for example, I could use 6-8 people in construction trades. But! good qualified people are very hard to find. We could use two carpenters... But not someone that has limited experience as a handyman or working around the house. Carpenters that cut crown moulding that are $5 liner foot. Electricans that are currently not working for one of the major in town Hard to find. Plumbers that can read blueprints. "Yikes boss that going to far!" Lol

In summary there is work out there but way too many people have moved away from that type of work or it don't have enough experience to make the grade.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:49 PM

474 posts, read 588,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I left Savannah because there were very few jobs for civil engineers, unless it was with the Corp or one of the two big civil engineering firms. I do more project management for retail chains, so this type of work is rare in Savannah.

If Savannah had these types of jobs, I'd return in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I think the uptick in jobs is mostly related to the ever-increasing tourism industry and retail.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:58 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Well sticking to Savannah for example, I could use 6-8 people in construction trades. But! good qualified people are very hard to find. We could use two carpenters... But not someone that has limited experience as a handyman or working around the house. Carpenters that cut crown moulding that are $5 liner foot. Electricans that are currently not working for one of the major in town Hard to find. Plumbers that can read blueprints. "Yikes boss that going to far!" Lol

In summary there is work out there but way too many people have moved away from that type of work or it don't have enough experience to make the grade.
Workers with a SKILL will always be in huge demand. Welders?! OMG write your ticket! Proof that every kid DOES NOT NEED TO GO TO COLLEGE! A high school diploma and TRADE SCHOOL will get you a nice life. Working McDonalds will not.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:21 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Workers with a SKILL will always be in huge demand. Welders?! OMG write your ticket! Proof that every kid DOES NOT NEED TO GO TO COLLEGE! A high school diploma and TRADE SCHOOL will get you a nice life. Working McDonalds will not.

You got that right!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area