Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:12 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm looking for some help in planning a trip in early October.

I've never been to the Southern States, and I've only been to the US East coast once (DC). I have a week in the area and I'm wondering whether it's better to stay at a hotel in Savannah, or at Tybee Island, or another place.

Is there public transportation from Savannah to Tybee Island and other nearby beach areas?

Is there a good birding area?

Can anyone recommend an interesting hotel - maybe something with old character and charm, but modern amenities?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 PM

I have to book the hotel tomorrow ... any help appreciated ... otherwise I'm winging it.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
You should stay in the Savannah Historic District, especially if you won't have a rental car. A day trip to Tybee Island Beach will suffice. What is your price range? Do you use Trip Advisor?

I see you just came back from a week in DC and pretty much hated it. If that's the case, you're likely gonna hate Savannah even more. Why are you coming?

Old 08-11-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You should stay in the Savannah Historic District, especially if you won't have a rental car. A day trip to Tybee Island Beach will suffice. What is your price range? Do you use Trip Advisor?

I see you just came back from a week in DC and pretty much hated it. If that's the case, you're likely gonna hate Savannah even more. Why are you coming?
Thank you!

I do use trip advisor.

I'm sharing hotel with a work colleague as we debrief and prepare presentation ... so hotel cost is divided by two. Preference is less than $120US per night including healthy breakfast - on our own nickel for 5 days.

Are there reasonable bike rentals - would really like to rent bikes to ride to the beach, have a good dinner, and stay a night on the Island - ride back the next day. I suppose mountain bikes are better for sandy terrain, but racing bikes feel better in the core .. any place for that type of adventure - rent two mountain bikes overnight?

Regarding hotel, for example, the Fairmont hotels were built 100 years ago in major cities and they are classically beautiful architectural marvels. Are there any hotels like that in Savannah Historic disctrict?l I noticed in photos of the area that Art Deco is everywhere ... any art deco wrought iron inexpensive hotels in the historic district?

Last edited by Lieneke; 08-11-2016 at 11:55 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 11:53 PM

I'm very interested in renting two 5'8" size bikes in the area in the first week of October - not some silly tour, but renting two good mountain bikes at a reasonable rate for several hours.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:

What disappointed me with Washington DC is that it is so similar to Moscow with wide grandiose streets, windowless monuments, and propaganda chiselled into the tops of buildings. It reminded me of Lenin and Stalin in Leningrad / Saint Petersburg and the KGB in Moscow, Castro in Cuba, and I had no idea that it was the same in the US until my trip to DC.

I was unimpressed with the Holocaust Museum, I thought the Aviation Museum too heavily focussed on the mechanics of spaceship design, and downtown was dead.

Do you disagree?
Is there another side of DC that I missed?

I want to see the real Savannah, talk to people, learn what they think, talk, visit, hear.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:56 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What disappointed me with Washington DC is that it is so similar to Moscow with wide grandiose streets, windowless monuments, and propaganda chiselled into the tops of buildings. It reminded me of Lenin and Stalin in Leningrad / Saint Petersburg and the KGB in Moscow, Castro in Cuba, and I had no idea that it was the same in the US until my trip to DC.

I want to see the real Savannah, talk to people, learn what they think, talk, visit, hear.
"Propaganda chiseled into the tops of buildings". Oh boy, here we go! If you didn't like that (which is BTW our culture and history of the U.S .A. you should most definitely stay far far away from Savannah. We have more monuments, flags, plaques, tombs, engravings, churches then I imagine your stomach could possibly take.

As far as meet and greet the people, with your viewpoints I suppose it is my responsibility to warn you that might not be a good idea. However, if you choose to not take my sage advise walk into a working man' s bar
( redneck, dive bar ) buy a couple of beers for the crowd and start to "talk" to them about how you feel about "propaganda ".

Wish you all the best. Have a knockout time!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 PM

Thanks for all your help! So sorry that I wasn't crazy about one of the cities in the US, and that this results in people from Savannah being unhelpful.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Thank you!

I do use trip advisor.

I'm sharing hotel with a work colleague as we debrief and prepare presentation ... so hotel cost is divided by two. Preference is less than $120US per night including healthy breakfast - on our own nickel for 5 days.

Are there reasonable bike rentals - would really like to rent bikes to ride to the beach, have a good dinner, and stay a night on the Island - ride back the next day. I suppose mountain bikes are better for sandy terrain, but racing bikes feel better in the core .. any place for that type of adventure - rent two mountain bikes overnight?

Regarding hotel, for example, the Fairmont hotels were built 100 years ago in major cities and they are classically beautiful architectural marvels. Are there any hotels like that in Savannah Historic disctrict?l I noticed in photos of the area that Art Deco is everywhere ... any art deco wrought iron inexpensive hotels in the historic district?
Quote:
I'm very interested in renting two 5'8" size bikes in the area in the first week of October - not some silly tour, but renting two good mountain bikes at a reasonable rate for several hours.
There are several places in downtown Savannah and environs that rent bicycles. The city's transit system also operates a bike share program. But I would not recommend trying to ride a bike out to Tybee Island. It's a good 15 miles from downtown in heavy traffic.

As for a hotel, Art Deco is not really Savannah's thing but every other style of architecture is here. There are literally HUNDREDS of hotel, B&B, short-term rentals and other options for staying in the Historic District downtown (which is where you want to be) and it would be impossible to recommend one without knowing more about your personal preferences and such. That's why I'd suggest using Trip Advisor to search for places, prices etc that look appealing to you. It's always better to go right to the source.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
There are several places in downtown Savannah and environs that rent bicycles. The city's transit system also operates a bike share program. But I would not recommend trying to ride a bike out to Tybee Island. It's a good 15 miles from downtown in heavy traffic.

As for a hotel, Art Deco is not really Savannah's thing but every other style of architecture is here. There are literally HUNDREDS of hotel, B&B, short-term rentals and other options for staying in the Historic District downtown (which is where you want to be) and it would be impossible to recommend one without knowing more about your personal preferences and such. That's why I'd suggest using Trip Advisor to search for places, prices etc that look appealing to you. It's always better to go right to the source.

Thank you!

I recently, briefly met a man from outside of Atlanta who mentioned that his friend just opened a boutique hotel a block from river street - he couldn't remember the name. I know this is a longshot, but have you heard of any new boutique hotels opening in the last couple of months near river street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area