Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:50 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Never gonna happen. It's a waste of time.
Indeed - and Study time = tax payer $

it's funny, we basically all agree! But we all know it won't happen. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:20 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I would combine all municipalities and have a 10 year sunset on it. Set a bunch of goals and if the consolidation doesn't meet these goals then go back to where we were ten years ago.

At this day in time there is no reason to have multiple police forces or fire departments in a metro area. Emergency services are the #1 expenditure municipal budgets throughout the us. I would go even further and role them all under one state agency in order to have a very high level training and readiness. Do this would take funding, questionable hiring practices, and a lot of the politics out of the police and fire departments state wide.
Two totally different things -- combining some city-county services and combining municipalities. The latter NEVER happens in the US except with tiny little hamlets (Bibb City, pop. 900, a poor former mill town that agreed to merge with Columbus-Muscogee and lose its town charter and identity). But Chatham's incorporated cities of 21,000 (Pooler) or the 3,000-10,000 range (Garden City, Port Wentworth, Tybee) are separate, historical towns that have thrived for 100-150 years. This is the problem: six Chatham municipalities will oppose consolidation even if they are excluded from the plan, and (2) an unincorporated Chatham County of largely white, conservative residents (many Republican, small-government types) will also oppose consolidation. It's very much the same situation in Atlanta -- it can't consolidate with Fulton County for the same reasons. Augusta, Columbus, Macon, and Athens had nowhere near the same political stumbling blocks.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Two totally different things -- combining some city-county services and combining municipalities. The latter NEVER happens in the US except with tiny little hamlets (Bibb City, pop. 900, a poor former mill town that agreed to merge with Columbus-Muscogee and lose its town charter and identity). But Chatham's incorporated cities of 21,000 (Pooler) or the 3,000-10,000 range (Garden City, Port Wentworth, Tybee) are separate, historical towns that have thrived for 100-150 years. This is the problem: six Chatham municipalities will oppose consolidation even if they are excluded from the plan, and (2) an unincorporated Chatham County of largely white, conservative residents (many Republican, small-government types) will also oppose consolidation. It's very much the same situation in Atlanta -- it can't consolidate with Fulton County for the same reasons. Augusta, Columbus, Macon, and Athens had nowhere near the same political stumbling blocks.
Indeed, I don't think people fully comprehend that when you're talking about CONSOLIDATION of city governments, what you're really talking about is the full REVOCATION (or abolishment) of current city charters -- basically these smaller cities like Garden City, Thunderbolt, etc would have to vote to CEASE TO EXIST! And that's just not gonna happen.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:07 PM

450 posts, read 462,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Indeed, I don't think people fully comprehend that when you're talking about CONSOLIDATION of city governments, what you're really talking about is the full REVOCATION (or abolishment) of current city charters -- basically these smaller cities like Garden City, Thunderbolt, etc would have to vote to CEASE TO EXIST! And that's just not gonna happen.
Excellent point!

Old 12-15-2016, 06:18 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Could you guys get behind eliminating local police and fire departments and going to a state wide agency for police and fire?

Old 12-15-2016, 07:15 PM

That would be even more of an impossible challenge then consolidation. Since all police officers are paid employees ( with exception of some reserve officers) they have a set of standards in place for all state wide. Even police standards vary greatly from state to state. Firefighters on the other hand, have different requirements for paid and volunteer members. You have no idea the amount of fighting and political favors that get pulled when standards are tried to get better. I fully agree that there should be a single set of standards nation wide but it would be impossible to have a single statewide or national fire service like other countries have. I just read an article where two volunteer firefighters were charged for assaulting a paid firefighter and keeping them from going into a fire so they could be the first ones in to put out the fire!

Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
Rep. Stephens is planning to file the bill...
Quote:
Mayor Eddie DeLoach agrees with beginning the process. “I think we need to always look at other ways to do things. I think you do a study to see whether it’s feasible and worth doing. I don’t know the details of the actual bill. As far as I know, it’s just studying Savannah and Chatham County Unincorporated only, not the other municipalitie,” he said, in an interview today. Those other municipalities would be Pooler, Garden City, Port Wentworth, Bloomingdale, City of Tybee Island, Thunderbolt and Vernonburg.

“If the taxes aren’t reasonable, and the services aren’t as good, then nobody’s interested,” Mayor DeLoach added.

According to Rep. Stephens, who chairs the Chatham County Legislative Delegation, in a statement to the media, “Regarding taxes, I have always been a fiscal conservative and believe that spending taxpayer money wisely and using resources efficiently is respectful of your hard earned tax dollars. With this in mind, I will be sponsoring legislation to allow voters to choose whether or not to consolidate city and county services. I believe that consolidation will increase productivity and ultimately lower costs but that the ultimate decision should be in the hands of taxpayers. I will update you about upcoming legislation as we move forward in the session.”

Sen. Lester Jackson and Sen. Ben Watson were not immediately available for comment on whether they would sponsor the bill in the Senate.
https://savannahbusinessjournal.com/...vernments.html

Old 01-27-2017, 11:12 AM

52 posts, read 50,610 times
Columbus resident here. I don't think consolidation would work for Savannah/Chatham. In Columbus, we still have a police department and a sheriff's office. The PD handles all criminal matters and the SO handles civil matters, the jail and court security. Like someone mentioned above, Columbus didn't have near the opposition that Savannah will have in attempting to consolidate. I would argue that the Savannah-Chatham PD should separate and go back to how it used to be.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcole View Post
Columbus resident here. I don't think consolidation would work for Savannah/Chatham. In Columbus, we still have a police department and a sheriff's office. The PD handles all criminal matters and the SO handles civil matters, the jail and court security. Like someone mentioned above, Columbus didn't have near the opposition that Savannah will have in attempting to consolidate. I would argue that the Savannah-Chatham PD should separate and go back to how it used to be.
The Savannah-Chatham County police department was combined based on local budgets and efficiency. Why would it "go back" to separate PDs, and how would that help with a crime problem that often crosses municipal boundaries? The Savannah-Chatham public school system is already merged and so are the courts. It's more efficient that way.

Who "mentioned above" that "there was nowhere near the opposition in Columbus" to consolidation? In fact, in the 1969 Columbus referendum on consolidation there was quite a bit of opposition. Voters in (at the time) unincorporated Muscogee County rejected consolidation. But according to the local referendum rules, only a simple addition of the Columbus and Muscogee votes was necessary (and it had carried overwhelmingly in the City of Columbus). In the 2012 Macon merger, though, the "pro-merger" side had to win in both the City of Macon and Muscogee County to pass.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 PM

I don't think consolidation would win the vote within the City of Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area