Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:14 AM

857 posts, read 845,219 times

Advertisements

Good day all. I am looking for any good, bad and ugly about the area around Ft. Stewart. Looks like this may be the place for us in several months, so doing some research on a place to live, things to do, etc. We will be moving from a very urban area, so although I know we will not be able to replicate anything close to that in the new location, any suggestions as to walkable areas (if any exist), etc. would be appreciated. I have been to Savannah once before but that would be a bit of a trek for work-related purposes. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:39 AM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Really, Ft Stewart is in the boonies. Are you buying, or renting? Richmond Hill is very nice, but it is not the sort of walkability you will find in some Savannah neighborhoods.
I guess you need to decide what is more important, a short commute or living somewhere with a pulse.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Thank you for the reply. Will be renting. Heard about Richmond Hill, but have not yet looked into it in great detail. Any other similar areas to compare?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM

I am not familiar with any of the little towns near Ft Stewart, besides RH. Hinesville is fairly large, so maybe start there and gradually enlarge your scope.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM

Got it. Thanks once again.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times
Richmond Hill is about halfway between Hinesville and downtown Savannah via I-95 and US 17 (Coastal Highway). But the base extends all the way down to the Richmond Hill City Limit and there's a gate at I-95 and Ga 144 that's open to civilan traffic when training maneuvers aren't going on. I think personnel can use it anytime.

Either way ... Richmond Hill is going to have many more housing options. Close to Savannah shopping and restaurants. Good schools and great recreational amenities (deep water access, huge state park, etc). Lots of Fort Stewart families live there over Hinesville. If you have a spouse who needs a job, being closer to Savannah is a plus as well.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Richmond Hill is about halfway between Hinesville and downtown Savannah via I-95 and US 17 (Coastal Highway). But the base extends all the way down to the Richmond Hill City Limit and there's a gate at I-95 and Ga 144 that's open to civilan traffic when training maneuvers aren't going on. I think personnel can use it anytime.

Either way ... Richmond Hill is going to have many more housing options. Close to Savannah shopping and restaurants. Good schools and great recreational amenities (deep water access, huge state park, etc). Lots of Fort Stewart families live there over Hinesville. If you have a spouse who needs a job, being closer to Savannah is a plus as well.

Newsboy, thank you for the reply. My spouse is active duty, so it will have to be me trying to find employment in the Savannah area. Any idea as to the prevalent jobs in the area, to include on base?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Newsboy, thank you for the reply. My spouse is active duty, so it will have to be me trying to find employment in the Savannah area. Any idea as to the prevalent jobs in the area, to include on base?
What kind of work are you in?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What kind of work are you in?

Currently work for the DoD in the DC area along the lines of mission assurance.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM

Are you able to network through the base? Don't they have a program to help spouses find jobs? Also, there is probably the same kind of help to find housing.

My son was at Hunter for awhile, and now he's at Bragg, and he got the inside scoop from other soldiers he worked with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area