Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:40 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

This project was announced back in February. It finally has a name, it will be called the Mosaic Town Center and will feature retail, restaurant, residential, hotel and office space. Judging by the renderings it reminds me of the Avalon project in Alpharetta. With this project and construction heating up around the I-16/Pooler Parkway interchange, perhaps it might be wise for GDOT to consider making the interchange a DDI.
Mosaic Town Center-Pooler by brandon walker, on Flickr

Quote:
Although some members had concerns about the development’s future effects on local traffic, the city planning commission voted unanimously to recommend approval of construction plans for Phase 1 of the project known as Mosiac Town Center, which will include construction of the development’s entrance, 10 retail outparcels and frontage roads on about 40 acres on Pooler Parkway near the Savannah Quarters community.

The developer, Savannah-based HD Companies, has previously announced that the project will ultimately include construction of hotels and meeting space, an amphitheater, a lakefront promenade, retail with live-above lofts, a grocery store and professional offices on dozens more acres of property on Pooler Parkway south of I-16.

Initial plans approved for new town center at Pooler Parkway, I-16 | SavannahNow

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-15-2017 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:04 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Love the concept, hate all the surface parking lots

Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Love the concept, hate all the surface parking lots
Agreed. Wasted space. It could be put to better use. Build a garage instead!

Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Agreed. Wasted space. It could be put to better use. Build a garage instead!
...and the ground water has to go somewhere. I think the flooding after Matthew was a wake up call here, so I think that they are mindful of the consequences of paving paradise, and putting up a parking lot. At least I hope so.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:58 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Too much surface parking is a problem. This issue should be addressed sooner than later.

A grocery store is planned for Mosaic Town Center. As The Kroger Company is reducing new store projects, I doubt the Kroger Atlanta division will be opening a Kroger Marketplace hypermarket in Pooler for the foreseeable future.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Too much surface parking is a problem. This issue should be addressed sooner than later.

A grocery store is planned for Mosaic Town Center. As The Kroger Company is reducing new store projects, I doubt the Kroger Atlanta division will be opening a Kroger Marketplace hypermarket in Pooler for the foreseeable future.
I used to wish for a Kroger here, but there is one not too far away, on Ogeechee, and since I don't go there, I doubt if I would go to a Pooler store either, more than once in awhile. We are soon to have 2 Publix, an Aldis and and a LIDL. We also have a BiLo and very under rated Food Lion. I am not a Walmart or Dollar Store customer, but we have those too.

It'll all buff out. Let the chips fall.

It is my feeling that the movers and shakers of Pooler politics are long time residents. They care about the place.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 PM

450 posts, read 462,141 times
There looks to be some parking in some of the buildings but I agree, a couple of garages and they would free up a ton of green space. Judging by the construction that has gone on, there is quite a bit of retention area (lakes) being created for the run off. Overall, I hope it pays out like the pictures looks, it will be great for Pooler and the Savannah area.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:10 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
they will probably regret the lack of effort within a decade.. this stuff is so easy to get right. News, yes garages. And leave some wetlands to soak up water. But Pooler, alas nope. Just parking lots. The name Pooler is gonna take on a whole new meaning in the next hurricane! What do the longtime residents think of all the stripmalls. Don't they want a little green space and parks saved, while there is still space, gentlearts?

Old 08-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
they will probably regret the lack of effort within a decade.. this stuff is so easy to get right. News, yes garages. And leave some wetlands to soak up water. But Pooler, alas nope. Just parking lots. The name Pooler is gonna take on a whole new meaning in the next hurricane! What do the longtime residents think of all the stripmalls. Don't they want a little green space and parks saved, while there is still space, gentlearts?
I don't know what "they" want. I just live here. I do get to see a few movers and shakers around town, like the mayor and Buddy Carter. Two councilmen live in my neighborhood. These people grew up here. They are invested, more so than I am. They saw the flooding after Matthew. They know that there is an issue with water that needs to be dealt with in any new construction.

I'm not really one to boo hoo over a bunch of trees. Pooler has plenty of green space, and can afford to cut some down to develope on the south side.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:48 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
I think it has a pitifully small amount. But ok. And the movers and shakers are the ones that own all the property. Invested? Yeah, literally! Of course they want to squeeze all the bucks out of every sq ft. I believe things like Tanger could've been designed better. And more generally the Pooler Pkwy area. Glad you like it. I live in a more rustic area for now. Not looking to live nextdoor to Dollar General. I know all that crud is coming though to west chatham. Just wish they'd put more effort in to making it nice when they do, like the original Savannah, with squares. It really would help property value! You have a narrow window of time to set up things like squares while there is still land. But as you say, it's up to folks in Pooler to decide their fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area