Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:26 AM

61 posts, read 209,186 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Savannah area from Richmond, VA.
Young family, no kids in mid 20's

We are looking for an area close to stores that is also diverse and walkable?
Diverse in people and food. Are there any Vietnamese, Indian and Thai places to eat?

I have done some researching and noticed a few places on or near the water like Tybee, Wilmington, and Whitemarsh Island's
and also noticed some places away from the water as in Pooler and Richmond Hill...does any of these places have what i am looking for? or are there any places i haven't listed that may be what i am looking for?

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Savannah and Richmond have a lot in common, I think. Richmond is pretty dangerous, too, isn't it? And it's old and funky, from what I remember.

If you're young and active, you'll probably want to live near downtown, or at least spend a fair amount of time there. Yes, there are a few good restaurants like those you've mentioned.

I feel like Pooler, Richmond Hill, and parts of the islands were invented for and by people who are afraid of living in the midst of diversity. While there is nothing wrong with them, they are essentially white middle class suburbs.

Please take some time and read the hundreds of posts both for and against living in Savannah, if you haven't already. Then you might be in better shape to make some decisions.

Oh gee, I just looked up the crime stats for Richmond. The murder rate there is over twice what it is here. If you can live there, you'll be fine here. Jump on in.

Last edited by ellie; 03-05-2008 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: new info

Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 AM

Yeah Richmond isn't the safest place.

I like the analogy of people being in those area's vs Downtown or near Downtown. I have to be in a diverse area, people and all. I am white and have most all black friends. That analogy of the people in certain places will def help me in deciding where to live.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:45 PM

293 posts, read 826,808 times
Yeah it's probably best if you life closer to downtown...I live in the Georgetown area and while i'm close enough to I-516... My biggest complaint is not having enough alternative routes i can take [if i'm not past DeRenne Ave].

Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Is Georgetown the only area in and very close to downtown that has descent housing, safety and diverse? Are there any other nice areas in Downtown Savannah that are up to date/upscale somewhat?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:35 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Georgetown is no where near downtown. It's about as far south as you can get and still remain in Chatham Co.

I don't have time to draw you a map, though I'm thinking of creating some kind of 'safer areas of Savannah' map for City-Data. That kind of thing requires a number of hours or even days and would still be quite subjective unless I have access to tons of crime data to put into a GIS map.

Why don't you look at the Savannah Chatham County police homepage and mess with their crime report maps in the meantime?

And then you still might need to rent a place in one of the areas that others on this forum have recommended and get to know the city yourself.

Wish I could be more help.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
"Downtown" in Savannah means the Historic District. Many live in this area and love being there. But just about all of the good residential areas are about three to four miles away from there. There are two large shopping malls with many smaller shopping centers all over the place. Many Savannahians, myself included, never bother going "downtown for anything.

Places that serve the ethnic types of food that you mentioned are also scattered about the city. I am not sure what you are looking for when you say you are looking for a diverse people. We have many, many different groups of people here. I don't think you will find any neighborhood where there is a mixture of all types at the same time. Where you thinking about diverse in matters of religion, race, politics, or sexual orientation?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM

I was thinking diverse in race and ethnic foods.

Do any of the Islands have what i am looking for?
What are the specific areas that you were referring to being a few miles from downtown?

Thanks all for the info!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
A few thoughts--

I lived in Savannah for a few years (now live in Atlanta) and as others have said found people to be in general tolerant of 'differences'--several military bases in the area might be one reason?

The type of lifestyle you seem to be seeking might be more like Decatur, GA or the gentrifying intown area of Atlanta.
Decatur, GA>>
City of Decatur, GA

The Norcross/Duluth suburban area of Atlanta is also very diverse---many ethnic shops and restaurants.

Georgia is not Virginia. shrug.

hth

Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM

My options for job relocation are Savannah, Tampa and possibly West Palm Beach, FL....I was leaning towards Savannah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area