Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 PM

11 posts, read 66,859 times

Advertisements

Just a heads up to anybody considering moving here to Savannah, avoid Lewis Mitchell Real Estate managed properties. We have been renting a house managed by him for the past four months and every dealing we have had with him have been unpleasent and generally unproductive. He refuses to answer his phone, does not accept email or faxes, and requires that any work requests or other needs or questions be put in writing. He also requires that the rent be paid in certified checks or with a money order and refuses to give a receipt for them.

If I had to do this over again, I would prefer to live under a bridge than rent a home from this clown.

Aside from this guy Savannah is great though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
I hope that you didn't sign a long term lease. He sounds as if he has had such bad luck with renters that he doesn't trust anyone!! I agree, there must be better landlords around.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfysh View Post
Just a heads up to anybody considering moving here to Savannah, avoid Lewis Mitchell Real Estate managed properties. We have been renting a house managed by him for the past four months and every dealing we have had with him have been unpleasent and generally unproductive.

He refuses to answer his phone, does not accept email or faxes, and requires that any work requests or other needs or questions be put in writing.
Being a landlord myself I do not blame him, This is needed from a legal standpoint many management companies do this. All requests must be made in writing. No exceptions.

He also requires that the rent be paid in certified checks or with a money order and refuses to give a receipt for them.

A little odd, the receipt is something I would have no problem with. As for payment with a certified check or money order, is your credit score low. If I take a tenet on with a bad credit history usually below 550 or with a bankruptcy or a judgement against him/her then I will either require a credit card or money order/certified check for payment. Not giving them a chance to screw me on bank fees.

If I had to do this over again, I would prefer to live under a bridge than rent a home from this clown.

Well if you don't pay your rent you might be living under a bridge when the clown puts you out.

Aside from this guy Savannah is great though.[/quote]

Old 05-04-2008, 05:49 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
It sounds a little strict for Savannah, though. I think the fact that this is a property management company rather than a single owner who is renting a home makes the rules much tighter.

It's a good thing to know.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,687 times
Default Mitchell Real Estate

Lewis Mitchell is THE most unpleasant, uncooperative property manager I have ever dealt with. As far as the m.o. or cert check thing, my credit score is 740 and I supplied numerous positive former landlord references. This clown makes you drive downtown to do ANYTHING! I've bought houses w/o face to face contact! Do whatever you can to avoid this outfit!

Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,374 times
I just experienced dealing with this "gentleman" recently. I needed a rental until my family and I purchase a house in this area and this guy was not only rude, but as impossible to deal with as the above posts say. We were ready to rent a house, until we met him and he reviewed his rules. Glad, I saw this website and saw it was not an isolated incident.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:42 PM

737 posts, read 2,458,958 times
"Aside from this guy Savannah is great though."

Amen! Brother
Just made another friend by accident.
He dialed a wrong number, and got me.
We talked, now we're "friends".
That's what I'm talking about in all of my previous posts.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 26,967 times
I rented from Lewis Mitchell
He is very detailed and straight forward, decent.
I understand his wanting everything in writing, as legal issue, he can then prove any claims in court, if there is ever a need to go to court. This protects both him and his client. If I owned rental property, I would want him to manage it.
The one time I had a problem, I wrote a letter, left it at the office, the next day it was taken care of.
He has been around Savannah for 30 years, I am sure he has figured out a way to not get screwed, no matter what you claim your credit rating is. He has been around that long for a reason.
If I should ever move back to Savannah, I will go to him again.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 25,284 times
There is a guy named Adam that lists downtown properties on Craigslist. The pictures look nice but the apartments are nasty and ghetto. Dont bother calling!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:00 AM

6 posts, read 26,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Being a landlord myself I do not blame him, This is needed from a legal standpoint many management companies do this. All requests must be made in writing. No exceptions.

He also requires that the rent be paid in certified checks or with a money order and refuses to give a receipt for them.

A little odd, the receipt is something I would have no problem with. As for payment with a certified check or money order, is your credit score low. If I take a tenet on with a bad credit history usually below 550 or with a bankruptcy or a judgement against him/her then I will either require a credit card or money order/certified check for payment. Not giving them a chance to screw me on bank fees.

Well if you don't pay your rent you might be living under a bridge when the clown puts you out.

Aside from this guy Savannah is great though.
[/quote]
"He also requires that the rent be paid in certified checks or with a money order and refuses to give a receipt for them" He always gave me a reciept, and your money order should have a a reciept attached to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area