Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 PM

9 posts, read 110,765 times

Advertisements

I can't comment on schools, because we have no kids, or plans for any. We're DINK's, (39 and 32), and live on Wilmington Island. In my opinion, the only place to live in SAV.

If by living "near the water" you mean near the marsh, then Isle of Hope, Skidaway, Georgetown, Richmond Hill all fit the bill. If you want beach access, though, without driving 45+ min, forget it. Armstrong, Wilmington, Whitemarsh, Talahi and Tybee Islands are the only real choice.

Living in Pooler or Effingham mean you'll get a newer house on more land for your money. Be sure to look CLOSELY at the infrastructure, though...roads etc. In the 6 years I've lived here, street traffic has increased tremendously. The islands are all built out, so it hasn't changed so much out here---but Pooler etc. has the same roads, with MANY, MANY more houses. Check out I-16 and Gulfstream Road/Rt-21 between 7 and 8 am any weekday. Stop and go, emphasis on the STOP. And it's only getting worse.

Best of luck.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 03:58 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleonarock View Post
She has always been a good student, but this year has been a rough one grade wise. 7th grade...I'll be so glad to have a summer break! She has just been making that transition from child to teen I think. Anyway, her grades have been bouncing back the last half of the year, but she is not in a gifted program. She is a creative, artisitic, musical child. She is in the band in school, though she is not sure she wants to be in the band in HS. She wants to play the guitar instead.
The previous year the child has to have a B average
Admissions: (912) 201-5007

http://www.sccpss.com/Schools/High+Schools/Savannah+Arts+Academy/Arts/Music.htm (broken link)

5 SCCPSS Odyssey of the Mind Teams advance to World Finals
http://www.wsav.com/midatlantic/sav/news.apx.-content-articles-SAV-2007-04-25-0026.html (broken link)
2 teams from DeRenne Middle, 2 teams from Savannah Arts Academy and another from Marshpoint Elementary

Also a Montessori Charter School is being built

Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,955 times
Hi,
The high schools are in sad shape in Savannah, also known as Chatham country schools. i have raised 3 boys who have graduated from the effingham county school system. my husband and i moved to effingham in 1974 so our 5 yr old could go to the effingham county schools as the chatham county school system was terrible then and much worse now. if you can pay for private schooling then you will be ok. the public school system in effingham is still a good one and if you move in the hyw 30 area you are 15 mins from pooler where quite a few businesses are and new ones are building quickly. most of
Savannah has become dangerious. it's a shame because it is a beautiful city. hope i helped. you might look in the Savannah news at the page which shows the areas that have the most murders and general problems. it maps out all problems and i find useful. good luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 AM

11 posts, read 37,836 times
I live in Richmond Hill, in Buckhead, and work in Pooler right now. Its not a bad drive at all because its mostly interstate and there are a total of traffic lights in all of Richmond Hill and you would have to drive a circle to hit them all.

As for schools, Bryan county schools, in Richmond Hill at least, are THE best schools in the area. Effingham and Bulloch are the next in line but you mentioned water and neither of them are options for that unless a lake will do it for you. Richmond Hill also has some growth going on and is getting some of the large stores like Publix which just opened a few months ago and Kroger, which has been there, is relocating to a new location right near I95 that will be one of the largest in the area. New restaurants are popping up too.

We are trying to sell our house right now to downsize but after looking at all of the schools in the other counties, there is no way we would leave South Bryan co, the schools there are just the best.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I think you can forget about the Isle of Hope. It's not a terrible commute, but housing is very scarce. The water is there, but it's not accessible to the public. It's strictly a private dock area. You could walk along the Bluff, look, but don't touch, unless you had a boat in which case, you could park it at the Marina.

The area around the Forst River and Georgetown might suit you well. Pooler would be closer to some fresh water swimming and fishing areas.

I would skip Richmond Hill. I don't really know anything about it and it's school system except what I read in the papers. There seems to be some hard headed, short sighted people on the Board of Education there. If they got along well, and the schools were doing great, it wouldn't be newsworthy.

It's just too long a drive into Savannah. It could be the same for your husband's work.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 AM

I can't even imagine recommending a Chatham co school over Bryan or Effingham for that matter. turtleonarock may want to check some facts on each system, the local news is not the best place and I'm not even sure what you mean by "short sighted." The Richmond Hill schools, all of them from K-12, are THE BEST, of anything within driving distance to Savannah and they are expanding every chance they get. You may want to Google a few sites that provide school systems camparisons but here is one;

schoolmatters.com

I don't think you will find any area where another school will beat Bryan county schools, Effingham is close but you would pull your hair out driving down Highway 21 in near standstill traffic every morning and they are driving up the taxes there so quick to make up for their lack of business tax base they will soon start running residents off that can't afford to keep their houses.

People are using relatives addresses and giving custody to aunts or grandparents to lie their way in to the school system (and getting caught) there because it is THAT much better than Chatham.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM

39 posts, read 394,353 times
Default And the winner is....

......Richmond Hill! We chose Richmond Hill and have been here a month now. We really love it! The drive to Pooler is quick and easy and we don't really mind driving into Savannah when we need/want to. The number 1 reason that we chose RH is for the school system and the number 2 reason we chose it was for the location- it is close enough to Pooler and Savannah but still feels like a smaller community. Maybe a bit TOO small, but it has been a really friendly place to call home so far. I would still love to live near the water, but my kids education is the priority right now. Maybe I'll be able to live near the water later on.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Wonderful!! I am so glad that you have made it and are happy.
Take care!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Welcome to Richmond Hill. What neighborhood did you decide on?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleonarock View Post
......Richmond Hill! We chose Richmond Hill and have been here a month now. We really love it! The drive to Pooler is quick and easy and we don't really mind driving into Savannah when we need/want to. The number 1 reason that we chose RH is for the school system and the number 2 reason we chose it was for the location- it is close enough to Pooler and Savannah but still feels like a smaller community. Maybe a bit TOO small, but it has been a really friendly place to call home so far. I would still love to live near the water, but my kids education is the priority right now. Maybe I'll be able to live near the water later on.
Where did you relocate from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area