Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:54 PM

20 posts, read 59,186 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me if there's a train running thru or near Pooler? Also, are there any new homes being built on crawl space rather than slab?? Seems like the new homes we've seen pictures of are all on slab. We're considering moving to the Savannah area in the next year, and people have mentioned Pooler as a good choice. We definitely would want a new home. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 03:32 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I'm pretty sure there are new homes built with crawl spaces in Pooler. As for a train, do you mean Amtrak or simply freight? The answer is yes to both.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the info, ellie. Appreciate it......I'm just wondering: are the trains really close-in that you can hear them so loud that they're really a nuisance, or are they far enough away that they don't disrupt whatever you're doing??

Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Pooler is a pretty big town and the trains are not close to newer sections like Godley Station, which is north of the old town, near I-95.. I'm not even sure if the old track through the old town is even there anymore.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...,0.140247&z=13

However, there is an Amtrak station in Savannah, which many cities don't have.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Thank you ellie, for that info. My husband is a very light sleeper and the trains would be a bit of a problem if they were nearby. Not having been there yet, we don't know the layout of the town, but plan to find out in the next 3 months or so when we finally get out to GA. Been looking forward to it for awhile, but hubby's job just didn't allow for time off. Thanks again.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 PM

70 posts, read 336,822 times
Having lived in Pooler for a year, and in the Highlands (Godly Park), from time to time while outside, you could faintly here a train, and that was it. We haven't been in the area long, and live now in Richmond Hill which is nice, but we miss Pooler sometimes. It isn't large, but from what we've experienced in our first year in the area, it's growing! Several restaurant choices and they are supposed to be getting a Publix soon! We miss it up there, and who knows, we might end up back there!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:26 PM

70 posts, read 336,822 times
By the way, where in AZ are you? I have in-laws out there!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 AM

165 posts, read 507,712 times
If your husband is a light sleeper, you might want to consider the air traffic noise. The Savannah airport is in Pooler. You also have air noise from large transport planes and fighter jets that leave the Air National Guard field (next to the airport) and Hunter Army Air Field.

Just a thought...

Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 AM

Thank you to all who have responded....

To hmolah: Nice to know about a Publix in the future. We used to live in Goose Creek (Charleston), SC and it had a brand new Publix! Gotta say, it's the best store anywhere. Excellent quality in everything! Unfortunately Hurricane Hugo hit us and we panicked, so we moved to AZ. Currently we live about 20 mi. S/E of Tucson. We've been here about 10 years, and although we like the weather, we've both developed allergies because it's so dry and dusty!!! We look forward to monsoons every year (june, july, aug), but the last 2 years the monsoons never materialized to any degree....just a few rainy days....enough to mess up the car you just had washed.

To mrsnespy: Thanks for the "heads up" about the air traffic noise. We have the Davis Monthan Air Force base about 15 mi. from our home, and although we're not in the traffic pattern and don't get flyovers EVERY DAY, we sometimes get 3 or 4 flyovers in one day. Luckily they don't fly at night!!! Don't know how the two airports compare regarding how many flights/day, etc. but I guess we've been here long enough that we don't pay that much attention to it. THANK GOODNESS. I guess one sort of gets to it after awhile.

Thanks to all for your insights.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Crawls spaces cost more to build so remember that....Slabs are alot more common among the builders. When we looked at houses Hallmark Homes was the only builder offering to build on a crawl space and we didn't ask how much more this was. Our price range was 300k to 400k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area