Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2007, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 21,964 times

Advertisements

My mother in law just got transferred to Savannah and I'm trying to look for houses for her. We know nothing about Savannah we're from New York. We were looking at a couple of houses. One of them was on Holly Street (anyone know anything about that street?) and a lot of them said on the West side of Savannah.. what type of area is the west side? Also can you guys name some areas outside the actual city of Savannah that are low crime areas. She will be working in downtown Savannah so she doesn't want a long commute (less then 20 minutes)

Any info would be great thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
Westside of Savannah would not be low crime
West of Savannah would be Garden City or the old part of Port Wentworth
With heavy truck traffic getting into the port
I think Holly Street is off of GA 30 in the old part of Port Wentworth
That part of 30 is a main truck route into the port and warehouses are taking over the area,
West Chatham County would include the Berwick Plantation area
Pooler, areas annexed into the City of Savannah (Highlands and New Hampstead Areas) and the new part of Port Wentworth West of I-95
Look along I-16: Dean Forest( GA 307) and Pooler Parkway
Many new homes are being built and are within the 20 min commute

Old 08-06-2007, 06:31 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Will she be working on the West Side? If so, then perhaps Pooler would be her best bet.

Can you give us more information on where she will be working? The west side is definitly not desirable for anyone working elsewhere in the city.
The "actual City" of Savannah covers a big area. The bad crime areas are located in the older areas and around low cost housing.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
There is a Holly Ave in Pooler that looks pretty good.

Holly Circle is in the industrial zone near the ports, not good.

Holly Ave in Savannah is just north of Daffin Park. It's not that safe there.

Last edited by ellie; 08-07-2007 at 03:44 AM..

Old 08-25-2007, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 21,964 times
She will be working downtown Savannah I guess... She works for the IRS so i guess its downtown

Old 08-25-2007, 02:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Not necessarily, If she is working in the Tax Payers assistance center, she would be in the Historic District. But I think they have another office in the midtown area.

If it's in the HD, I think there's a parking garage nearby, so she can live just about anywhere.

Anyplace that gives easy access to the Truman Parkway should work just fine. Fast commute and good areas. Trying to find a "good" area to live close to the downtown location would be tricky. Forget about the West side or Pooler areas.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 AM

236 posts, read 698,687 times
Safe Midtown neighborhoods:

Ardsley Park
Kensington Park
Habersham Woods

Pooler is much newer, a little farther. Lower taxes than any of the 3 previous but being from New York will probably make that less noticeable.

Effingham/Rincon is waaaay toooo faaaaar.

Richmond Hill is nice but also too far for a 20 minute commute.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM

28 posts, read 82,769 times
Default Try close to bull st

My recommendation would be close to bull Street between 37th and Forsyth Park. This area is very reasonable and there is not too much crime. I have been noticing much of the crime is leaving towards midtown. If you move to Savannah, you might as well live in the historic area. The rest of Savannah is suburbs and just like any other City. If you like Historic houses and beautiful streets you should stay close to Bull street and north of 37th. Then get the nicest apartment you can afford.

If you have school aged children, you may not want to take this advise. The schools are not very good for this area, but other than that, this area offers the best deal in Savannah, plus you won't have the problems with parking.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 15,181 times
Default More info?

Tell me more about the historic district, please! I am relocating to Savannah and don't want to feel isolated (I don't know anyone!). What is the most desirable area to live in the city? Safe too, these blogs have scared me about the crime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area