Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 21,054 times

Advertisements

thanks i'm really looking foward to the move it seemed like a nice place to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 PM

35 posts, read 72,158 times
We, too, are moving to Parkside this summer. I also noticed there are no coffee houses nearby. An opportunity for someone?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I think the area is zoned for residential only. The strip along Waters or Bee Road would be the only available commercial zoning.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 PM

yorkmorris
where are you moving from

Old 06-02-2010, 06:17 PM

236 posts, read 698,687 times
Echo what ellie said. Habersham is one of the main biking roads through Savannah. It was great for riding as was almost every other road North of Victory. 52nd is one of the busiest EW streets so get a block off on either side (53rd or 51st) or any other street through Ardsley Park for the ride to Habersham.

I lived on 55th Street and walked (you could ride pretty quickly and safely) to Clary's on Habersham. They had GREAT coffee. I miss their breakfast a lot. You could get to the Starbucks at Victory and Skidaway on 52nd Street, but I would recommend going the other direction. Not only is there a lot traffic on 52nd and Skidaway, but there's a good bit of flat tire-causing road debris on the Skidaway stretch.

I'm a roadie and wouldn't ride to Tybee. Riding to the inner islands would be safe enough, but I wouldn't go past the spot where it wittles down to 2 lanes. You can make a really nice loop out of the inner island roads. If you want to ride on Tybee, drive over and park where the road opens back up to 4 lanes.

Get out and ride your bike up and down all the streets and you'll get a good feel for the best routes to/through town. Have fun and enjoy your Savannah adventure.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:35 PM

thanks for the suggestions
are there public beaches on the inner islands?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2-blues View Post
thanks for the suggestions
are there public beaches on the inner islands?
Nope. The inner islands look the same as most of the surrounding area. They are simply separated from the mainland by tidal rivers, creeks, and marshes.

The only islands with proper beaches are those that front directly on the Atlantic Ocean. The only public beaches nearby are on Tybee and Hilton Head. Hunting Island, St. Simon's and Jekyll Island are within an hour's drive. Look at a map and you'll see where they are.

[edit] Wait, there is Butterbean Beach at Skidaway Narrows. It's an artificial "beach" near the boat ramp on the way to Skidaway Island. LOL

Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 PM

110 posts, read 178,250 times
Starbucks, now that's no way to begin. A Seattle coffee company, that has opened more chains than McDonalds. There are no restaurants in Parkside, but there are two corner stores: J-Rams (Harry's) on Waters and 49th, and Savannah's original 7/11 on Waters and 53rd (great hotdogs, I eat there at least once a week). Oggeecee River Coffee, next to Red and White on Habersham is walking distance for your caffeine fix.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM

74 posts, read 288,924 times
You can go to Johnny Harris at 1651 East Victory Drive (will be on the right side as you head towards the islands) and eat/drink in what's called the kitchen side (as opposed to the "ballroom," which is where people used to dance after dinner.)

There is the Starbucks further down on the left side of Victory Drive at 2106 East Victory Drive at the corner of Victory and Skidaway Road. It's located in the same parking lot as other businesses such as The Breakfast Place at 2130 East Victory Drive. Nothing fancy, but it's good and had a real mix of people the few times we went.

I really can't remember all of the shops in that center (there is a grocery store, I think), and there is another center across the street. Also, if you take a right at Skidaway at that corner the Krispy Kreme is just down the street on the right. I know some people used to congregate there for coffee. And on the left is Larry's Breakfast Restaurant. There are many shops across the street on the Krispy Kreme side, including anchor stores like Target, Staples, and Home Depot.

I'm not sure anymore what is on Skidaway on the other side of Victory. There used to be fast food restaurants and a Pizza Hut and an Italian restaurant. You might want to check out the area to see what you find.

If you are looking for something a little funkier you probably will have to go downtown to places like The Sentient Bean on the south side of Forsyth Park at 13 East Park Avenue, the newly-opened Forsyth Park Cafe (in the middle of the park; also has outdoor tables), or Gallery Espresso down on the corner of Bull St and Perry.

Also, you could try asking the local section (southeast is as local as we get) on the site Chowhound, too.

Let us know if you find any good places. And welcome to Savannah!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM

74 posts, read 288,924 times
Speaking of Ardsley Park and numbered streets, there is no street known as 47th Street. Washington Avenue is 47th Street, which then extends over to the side of Daffin Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area