Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times

Advertisements

Just tried to make a batch of carbon dioxide for use in making carbonated water. We all know that baking soda is used in fire extinguishers because it generates CO2, right? Online, I found that baking soda in water will give up the CO2 starting when heated to about 120, and effectively finishing when heated to boiling.

So... I sealed a tube to a jar lid. Filled the jar with 4 oz of baking soda and 12 oz of water, stuck it in a double boiler, with a garbage bag at the end of the tube to collect the CO2.

The solution started bubbling when heated. I mean SERIOUSLY bubbling. But the bag collected almost NO CO2. Took the bag off, stuck my finger over the end of the tube. No pressure. Wrapped electrical tape around the lid and top of bottle. STILL no pressure - even though the solution was bubbling furiously.

Funnier than H. A reminder to me to never assume.

Go ahead. Try it yourself. Makes a neat parlor trick to have a solution bubble furiously and not build up pressure in a closed container. Yeah, I was making carbonates out of bicarbonate. The base was counteracting the carbonic acid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,303,713 times
If you really want the CO2 you could use a vacuum to pull off the gas. Even a small pressure is enough to keep the CO2 in solution. That is why pop doesn't go flat when it gets warm if the cap is on.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,708,872 times
I didn't realize that H2O with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) would release CO2 without some acid present (vinegar for example). I do know that sodium cabonate (baking powder) will do that in plain H2O though.

Never the less:

I believe (as I think Chemistry Guy was getting at) the explanation is the physics/chemistry of the partial pressure gas laws.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Actually, the gas pressure laws don't seem to be the major factor here.

When CO2 is "dissolved" (bad word, I know) in water, it forms a mild acid. When there is baking soda in water it is alkaline. The two (loosely speaking) cancel each other out. Using a vacuum to get the CO2 out prior to it recombining would likely lower the boiling point of water enough to present another problem.

Time for me to see what happens with another undocumented technique. I refuse to pay a buck for two liters of water and some bubbles, and I want to avoid buying a big CO2 tank.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We all know that baking soda is used in fire extinguishers because it generates CO2, right?
We do? I mean, of course we do.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM

Hmm

Got a source (cheap) for "dry Ice" ??

or how about order some online frozen food such crab cakes etc. They get shipped in a styrofoam box along with a good size chunk of dry ice. Put water and a chunk (size TBD) into a pressure vessel(s) and close the valve.

???

Give me a call...I"ll help you finish off the crab cakes

Last edited by JBrown; 07-27-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM

What I was hinting at was that the equilibrium of a reaction that produces a gas as a product can be forced to the left by increasing the pressure or pulled to the right by applying a vacuum. I am not sure what you are trying to do chemically, but if you haven't already tried it, adding acid will violently increase the rate of CO2 formation, ala the ubiquitous vinegar and baking soda volcano. However, you will need to compress the CO2 considerably if you want to carbonate soda with it, as soda typically is very acidic and requires a lot of 'pushing' to carbonate. In the great scheme of things, I think carbonation using compressed gas cylinders is about as efficient as it gets short of a fermentation process.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM

CG, I agree in principle. As for the gas cylinders, my wallet doesn't agree in interest.

JBrown, great idea. Now I just need to have crabs...

Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 PM

A CO2 tank made for paintball guns will cost you less than $15, and some places even refill them for free. Dry ice is even cheaper, but it is difficult to store for more than a few days. If you are really ambitious you can make your own dry ice using the compressor from an old fridge and some plumbing supplies. I like chemical solutions to problems as much as anyone, but when you buy common chemicals you are really paying a premium for the packaging, storage, and logistics more so than the substance itself, and it is a lot cheaper to transport and store CO2 than any solid substance.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM

I was thinking once you get a chunk of dry ice you take your stash of empty 2 liter soda bottles, break up the dry ice into appropriate sized pieces,load up the bottles one at a time with the proper amount of dry ice (by weight ?), then add the water and cap off and set aside for awhile. Continue loading bottles until you've used up your recently acquired chunk of dry ice.

Not sure what the bursting pressure of a typical soda bottle is but I'd experimentally work up to a given amount of dry ice.

How simple things can go bad:
At work a cpl of us filled a typical Nalgene reagent type bottle with liquid nitrogen, capped it of and watched it spray out the little angled discharge tube.
BAD idea. The little discharge tube somehow became plugged , the plastic got brittle, and the resulting sound and explosion was very impressive. Fortunately the only thing damaged was the under shorts of some folks standing around .

BTW...a CO2 fire extinguisher could work....don't know what they get for a recharge.

Last edited by JBrown; 07-27-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology