Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Is science racist? Another question to consider: Is racism scientific?
Yes and No...

I think racism has more to do with people trying to 'protect'

1. Culture

2. Identity

3. Values

4. Religion

5. Habits

A racist might associate certain preffered cultural habits, with genetics only...

In other words, a racist may think that in order to be polite, you have to be genetically blue ....to a racist, every good thing about you comes from your genes...your genes will pre determine your attributes...

So if your not blue you will never live up...you can mimic, disquise, act like, but in the end because your not blue , in their minds, you can never measure up to some imaginary standard they have placed. To them, the only qualifier is color or ethnicity, and nothing else matters...

Where as a culturist, realizes all people start off 'empty'...like empty bowls or souls, that can be filled with whatever...

You could raise a chinese baby in Brazil...and the Chinese baby will totally reflect the Brazilian culture, speak the language, display the correct cultural mannerisms ect ect...

Or you could take a Anglo British baby, and allow African Pigmy tribesman to raise it...and that british baby will grow up totally and completly mimicing the enviornment and culture around it...

Also, I don't think 'Intellegence' is the be all end all of human experience or existance...

Being 'intellegent' or more 'Intellegent' than another, doesn't garuntee that ones experience here on earth will be more fulfilling or 'richer', than someone of less comprehension.

Being 'intellegent' isn't the be all and end all of human existance or experience.

One can be 'Intellegently' evil and or destructive also.

Being intellegent has nothing to do with ones capacity to love and or relate to others...and infact sometimes gets in the way and hampers..

Some say the Nazi Germans were intelligent, but all they did was use that intellegence to develope weapons and invade nations and kill people...

So there's obviously more to being a human, than just scoreing high on a IQ test, on information your've previously studied...

Without a heart to go along with that intellegence, one just becomes like a cold calculating machine...like in the movie 'Demon Seed'...

An old forgoton about sci-fi flick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkWFdu9_Kg

One of my favorite sci-fi scenes ever...

'Protius, what do you think of man?'

Last edited by Time and Space; 02-15-2012 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Some say the Nazi Germans were intelligent, but all they did was use that intellegence to develope weapons and invade nations and kill people...
I'm a bit confused; are you trying to be ironic with your anti-German racism?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Quote:
Darwinism is Racist

Is scientific Darwism like a religion or something? like the Reich?...
T & S

Is christianity like the Reich as well?

I checked out your posted link and it ''appears'' to be pushing christianity and so are you implying that people who are not christians like myself are somehow ''racists''?

Hmm what am i missing here T & S ?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 AM

You know...I can't have this discusion with you all, cause instead of looking inside at your own thoughts, and answering based on your own experience in life, right or wrong or nuetral...I already see this is (as usual) going to turn into a 'bash god, bash christians conspiracy' type of dialogue...

And that goes no where...

It's not about me, or pulling select coded wording from what I post (cause I must be a secret spy for the Pope)...it's not about that...just trying to have a honest discusion...

It's about you being honest with yourself, not about whether you can find flaw in what I'm sharing...

Of course I'm not perfect...and even if I were, you'd still find flaw in what I wrote...so why make it about that??

Instead make it about yourself, and answering or posting responses based on you, not based on trying to find some conspiracy in what I post...

I have no motive...I just like honest dialogue, which people just can't seem to do anymore...

Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times
Quote:
That generation of Americans were truly motivated, had much to prove to themselves and others...and were very diciplined...

I listen to prominant 'black' actors back then, or 'colored' acters, like Sydney Portiar...or the guy who stared in the original 'Night of the living Dead'...(Duane Jones)

Duane Jones (I) - Biography

The first person of color to be cast as a 'hero' figure in an American horror movie...

But if you've ever watched the movie, his grammar is so 'perfect' so pronounced, and he's so confident and assertive....

(Well now I know why, cause he was an English major)...

This was in 1969...perfect English...with unique regional accent...everyone has that...

Then I hear modern day football players get interviewed on the TV sports channel...and I'm like...'Are people going backwards instead of forward?"

I'm like education tools were worse back then, yet people had a better grasp of the language, and today educational tools are everywhere, and the way it's spoken by some seems to be regressing...
We certainly have better tools, but as far as English is concerned, I think school curriculum's have become more lax in some ways. They're probably making up for it in some ways. Grammar seems to be completely ignored after about eigth grade by teachers. We probably have more creative-writing related courses though. I remember a college professor astounded that no one in his class knew what some grammar related term was. He said "Is it possible to get into college without knowing what a (whatever the term was) is?" Note that I still don't know the term. That's just written grammar. Spoken grammer seems to be ignored past kindergarden...if taught there.

As a culture, I think we've begun to look to the past for answers less. We probably used to revere a culture of the past more, wanting to keep the same language styles, revering the founding fathers, following more traditions, etc. Now family time is when everyone watches TV in seperate rooms while eating TV dinners. We might have become a more materialistic society, less inclined to be impressed by things which don't obviously effect us. Speaking properly is one such thing.

While family time meaning that everyone eats TV dinners in seperate rooms is unfortunate, our materialistic mindset may partially be the result of re-viewing history as it was, rather than the idealized version our ancestors were taught. Andrew Jackson, for instance, is thought of as a criminal by certain Native American groups, and I know one person who says he never uses twenties because Andrew Jackson's image is on the bill. So, our materialistic-sophist modern natures could be a sign of enhanced educations. We probably do know a lot more about true history than our ancestors. I'd say we've become a show-me-culture. If we can't see how something benefits us, we're not interested in it. We're not interested in revering people we never knew, nor keeping their language alive. If slang is easier, slang is what we'll use.
Quote:

(I think it's attitude and culture that effects that, and other factors)

I mean if black citizens like Dr King and others in that movement were speaking near perfect English back in the 50's...why is it so hard for some to pronounce words now, in the year 2012?

How can a Japenesse student, or African student come over, not know any english, and by the time they graduate speak english better than someone raised in an American Hood?, particularly the southern hood areas?

This goes for country hillbillies too though...

My point is...enviornment is very much key to how people develop...
Parents, how they speak, the standards they hold their kids to, ect ect...

Anyways...I've lost my fire from last night...that was fueled by someone else...but they have since did an about face...

Maybe they were just messing with me, and used me...I don't know...

I do apologize...you seem like a decent person, do have a wonderful day...

Quote:
You know...I can't have this discusion with you all, cause instead of looking inside at your own thoughts, and answering based on your own experience in life, right or wrong or nuetral...I already see this is (as usual) going to turn into a 'bash god, bash christians conspiracy' type of dialogue...

And that goes no where...

It's not about me, or pulling select coded wording from what I post (cause I must be a secret spy for the Pope)...it's not about that...just trying to have a honest discusion...

It's about you being honest with yourself, not about whether you can find flaw in what I'm sharing...

Of course I'm not perfect...and even if I were, you'd still find flaw in what I wrote...so why make it about that??

Instead make it about yourself, and answering or posting responses based on you, not based on trying to find some conspiracy in what I post...

I have no motive...I just like honest dialogue, which people just can't seem to do anymore...
Agreed. You asked a question, a controversial question, but if people stopped asking controversial questions, we'd still have a king. I'm may get back to this later.

Quote:
This analogy kind of only works with animals...cause unlike a fish, humans are really only limited to what they can do or accomplish based on enviornment, funding, support, and of course motivation...motivation is key, but enviornment is even more key...and enviornment encompasses a lot...
Actually it works for some people too, just not most. The quote was from Einstein, who supposedly had a brain which was structured unusually. It'd make sense that he'd assume everyone was similar, each having unique gifts. I actually might have something similar. No, I'm not a genius, but I've never gotten above a C in a mathematics test I've studied for purely by doing the homework. However, I've gotten several high grades by memorizing the formulas. I don't learn through practice well. However, I do seem to be very good at continuing lines of thought once I understand the root concepts. Upon discovering this, I took a three week mathematics couse and completely ignored the homework and memorized the formulas. I would have gotten an A or B, had the homework not been 20% of the grade. The prerequesite to this math class, I did the homework for, and couldn't recieve above a C...mostly Ds and Fs until the final, when I figured it was too late to practice, so I worked hard on memorizing the formulas and pulled my final grade up to a C...which meant I got something pretty high on the final. I could have probably taken the course in a week...but no, I hadn't realized what I know now.

The idea that people are destined to a caste-like lifestyle based on race, gender, or culture is probably a barbaric one though, leftover from a time before we knew what we know now about child psychology and how much we learn from our surroundings.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-16-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
We certainly have better tools, but as far as English is concerned, I think school curriculum's have become more lax in some ways. They're probably making up for it in some ways. Grammar seems to be completely ignored after about eigth grade by teachers. We probably have more creative-writing related courses though. I remember a college professor astounded that no one in his class knew what some grammar related term was. He said "Is it possible to get into college without knowing what a (whatever the term was) is?" Note that I still don't know the term. That's just written grammar. Spoken grammer seems to be ignored past kindergarden...if taught there.

As a culture, I think we've begun to look to the past for answers less. We probably used to revere a culture of the past more, wanting to keep the same language styles, revering the founding fathers, following more traditions, etc. Now family time is when everyone watches TV in seperate rooms while eating TV dinners. We might have become a more materialistic society, less inclined to be impressed by things which don't obviously effect us. Speaking properly is one such thing.

While family time meaning that everyone eats TV dinners in seperate rooms is unfortunate, our materialistic mindset may partially be the result of re-viewing history as it was, rather than the idealized version our ancestors were taught. Andrew Jackson, for instance, is thought of as a criminal by certain Native American groups, and I know one person who says he never uses twenties because Andrew Jackson's image is on the bill. So, our materialistic-sophist modern natures could be a sign of enhanced educations. We probably do know a lot more about true history than our ancestors. I'd say we've become a show-me-culture. If we can't see how something benefits us, we're not interested in it. We're not interested in revering people we never knew, nor keeping their language alive. If slang is easier, slang is what we'll use.

Agreed. You asked a question, a controversial question, but if people stopped asking controversial questions, we'd still have a king. I'm may get back to this later.

Actually it works for some people too, just not most. The quote was from Einstein, who supposedly had a brain which was structured unusually. It'd make sense that he'd assume everyone was similar, each having unique gifts. I actually might have something similar. No, I'm not a genius, but I've never gotten above a C in a mathematics test I've studied for purely by doing the homework. However, I've gotten several high grades by memorizing the formulas. I don't learn through practice well. However, I do seem to be very good at continuing lines of thought once I understand the root concepts. Upon discovering this, I took a three week mathematics couse and completely ignored the homework and memorized the formulas. I would have gotten an A or B, had the homework not been 20% of the grade. The prerequesite to this math class, I did the homework for, and couldn't recieve above a C...mostly Ds and Fs until the final, when I figured it was too late to practice, so I worked hard on memorizing the formulas and pulled my final grade up to a C...which meant I got something pretty high on the final. I could have probably taken the course in a week...but no, I hadn't realized what I know now.

The idea that people are destined to a caste-like lifestyle based on race, gender, or culture is probably a barbaric one though, leftover from a time before we knew what we know now about child psychology and how much we learn from our surroundings.
All good points...actually I don't think there was any specific points, just observations...

Actually I wish I could change the title of the thread, because I feel it unfairly indites to many people...I'm not about that..

I allowed myself to get worked up...and the lesson I have learned is to deal with the person who worked me up, instead of dragging others into it...

The past is what it is, and I certainly can't change it...nor can I hold others alive today, accountable for what took place way back when...

But there have always been people throughout the ages, that regardless of current social trends, just seem to back away from it all and apply 'perspective'...

In other words being able to look at things, situations, as if detached, with no emotional attachment, like an alien from outter space simply observing a 'species' and their ways under a micro-scope...

And sometimes it does seem as if the earth is one big 'petri dish'...or however it's spelled...

Like a cosmic experiment...the way you let mold grow on bread...and just stand back and observe...

Because the bodies our consciousnesses are contained within are only here for such a short time...it's as if it's all an illusion, not real...

So I try not to get to hung up on issues that in a few years, won't ever again concern me...

Life is such a learning curve...anyways thanks for the dialogue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology