Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Poets say that the eyes are the windows to the soul. Researchers are finding that they are also windows to our sexual identity. The dilation of pupils in response to erotic stimuli may be the most accurate objective measure of an individual's sexuality, researchers reported Monday.

Measuring pupil dilation is a strong indicator of whether a person is straight, gay or bisexual. - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
It's not about dilation of pupils or even sexuality...It is the way the brain works...there is a certain similar look in the eyes of most gays...For over 40 years I could walk down the street and look at the eyes of a passing person and know they were homosexual. They eyes on the over all look different. Sometimes you will see a gay male making eye contact..if they don't see that look they quickly turn away. Not to sound like a prick- I always found it intrusive and irritating when a gay looks me in the eye hoping that I would be of the same orientation... They assume for certain reasons that a male is gay...but quickly figure out they are wrong... also- I have seen another kind of look- In the old days I would pass by a gay bar...and see young male prostitutes - The look they had was one of an abused child.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Poets say that the eyes are the windows to the soul. Researchers are finding that they are also windows to our sexual identity. The dilation of pupils in response to erotic stimuli may be the most accurate objective measure of an individual's sexuality, researchers reported Monday.

Measuring pupil dilation is a strong indicator of whether a person is straight, gay or bisexual. - latimes.com
This measuring if done by a gay researcher would be bias...The person's eyes may dilate if they see an ice cream cone or a hamburger...or a sparrow if they love sparrows. There is no such thing as a the measuring of sexuality - all human beings differ like a finger print and sexuality modulates- I can see the researchers after work sipping wine and looking into each other's eyes.....Any time you hear a head line that states "Researchers have found" - beware - the next set of "researchers" will find something else.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
^^^ Agree, people's eyes dilate for any one of a number of reasons...

I wonder what the research would show if a person who loves steaks is shown a picture of a perfectly grilled rib-eye or a muscle car lover shown a picture of a fully restored 427 SOHC Mustang?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The core research is a number of years old. I think I ran across some similar stuff back in the late 1970s related to paraphelias. The actual measuring and using such information is as perverse as anything measured, and I seem to recall the whole research back then was dropped because because of the potential for misuse, a la eugenics.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
This measuring if done by a gay researcher would be bias...The person's eyes may dilate if they see an ice cream cone or a hamburger...or a sparrow if they love sparrows. There is no such thing as a the measuring of sexuality - all human beings differ like a finger print and sexuality modulates- I can see the researchers after work sipping wine and looking into each other's eyes.....Any time you hear a head line that states "Researchers have found" - beware - the next set of "researchers" will find something else.
I haven't seen the details of the research, but I'm going to bet that hamburgers, ice cream cones, and sparrows were controlled out by the researchers who were presenting stimuli and measuring eye dilation. It is easy to measure sexual stimuli, if you filter out all other stimuli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
people's eyes dilate for any one of a number of reasons...
Researchers probably already knew that, and control for it. Believe it or not, they are actually degreed scientists with some knowledge of mathematical controls and samples. Unlike posters in forums.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Researchers probably already knew that, and control for it. Believe it or not, they are actually degreed scientists with some knowledge of mathematical controls and samples. Unlike posters in forums.
How do you *know* these researchers knew that and had controls for that?

Excellent scientific phrase jtur.... "probably"

"Degreed scientists", yes we have seen just how bought and paid for (and wrong) this group has turned out to be during the last decade....

Their motto:

Give us the money and we'll come up with exactly what you need to prove your point....

And how is it these "degreed scientists" can analyze the exact same data and come up with two totally different conclusions diametrically opposed from each other?

Hmmm, "probably" "maybe" "it's possible" LMAO

Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
3...2...1... In the toilet.

That was fast!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Trust me I know. I went out with the girl friend this weekend and she would check to see were my eyeballs were looking every time a cute girl walked by. It was really hard not looking

Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,546,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
^^^ Agree, people's eyes dilate for any one of a number of reasons...

I wonder what the research would show if a person who loves steaks is shown a picture of a perfectly grilled rib-eye or a muscle car lover shown a picture of a fully restored 427 SOHC Mustang?
Stop making my pupils dilate, please. Just the thought of a nice steak is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology