Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Again will be interesting to follow this story. This definitely has potential to be a cataclysmic eruption. Japan just can't seem to catch a break these last couple of years. I hope their government is doing everything they can to prepare for the possibility. Nearby Tokyo is not only the largest city in Japan, it is the largest city in the world.
I agree, it will be interesting to follow. There may also be some correlation between the Mach 11, 2011, magnitude 9.0 quake and the increased pressure in Mount Fuji. Or if the pressure under Mount Fuji caused the Pacific Plate to slip last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
If I may add an additional note, the government (I presume that to mean the Japanese government) is saying "an eruption could result in more than 300,000 deaths as well as cause up to $30 billion in damage."

Mount Fuji close to erupting, experts say
While I can certainly accept their $30 billion in damage as reasonable, and maybe even a bit low, I seriously doubt an eruption of Mount Fuji would cause 300,000 deaths. A tenth that number is more reasonable, and that is still a lot of people.

The reason I make that assessment is because I experienced the 1992 eruption of Mount Spurr in Alaska. The volcano was about the same distance, due west, from Anchorage as Mount Fuji is from Tokyo.

Spurr - Historic eruptions

Let us assume the worst case scenario - the east side of Mount Fuji collapses, sending a pyroclastic flow directly toward Tokyo. There are several mountains in between Mount Fuji and Tokyo which would block or severely restrict what eventually arrives at Tokyo. Undoubtedly Tokyo would get inundated with ash, anywhere from a few inches to potentially several feet over the course of several days. That is where the majority of the cost will come in. An explosive eruption would also produce a sizable earthquake, and that is where the rest of the cost will be. The good news is that no tsunami would be produced.

It took three years after the Mount Spurr eruption in Alaska before we got rid of all that ash. After the ash mixes with snow and water it becomes like concrete. Very difficult to dispose of and of course you do not want to breathe it, even after it has fallen, since it is effectively glass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Less than two years after dealing with the massive tsunamis that struck his country's northeastern shore, as well as the accompanying nuclear meltdown and raised military tension with China over disputed islands in the Yellow Sea, the Japanese prime minister greeted this news by saying, "まあ、ファック。それが最後の手の施しわらだろう。"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology