Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just want to understand this better. I went to totaltraffic.com to see the cities they provide traffic updates for. Is this website the company that handles ALL traffic reports for ALL GPS units?
They do not cover my area (Knoxville) and my husband had traffic info on his GPS and I'm wondering where that info came from. Can I subscribe to it with my Magellan? Who do I contact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
First determine if you unit is traffic update compatible.
Second go here :
Avoid delays! Add traffic alerts to your Magellan navigator
If you need the *Link*, go here : (if you have one of the compatible units)
Amazon.com: Magellan Traffic Link for Subscription-Free Traffic for RoadMate 1210, 1220, 1340, 1424, 1440, 1470, 4700: GPS & Navigation

Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 AM

Yes my unit has traffic info on it.....thanks for the links!!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Yes my unit has traffic info on it.....thanks for the links!!
You are quite welcome !
Keep in mind that the GPS only *knows* what is going on *ahead* If and When the local authorities decide to *publish* the data.

For all the years we have had a GPS with traffic data, I can remember only a few times that they really *rerouted* me !

Last edited by irman; 02-24-2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
For all the years we have had a GPS with traffic data, I can remember only a few times that they really *rerouted* me !
Same here. One of the times I remember very well though because it re-routed me onto a road that was even worse than the one that I was on

Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM

OK...still confused...that link for getting traffic updates on a Magellan is still only for those 100 cities listed at totaltraffic.com. How would I get traffic info on my GPS for a city not on that list? Is that only a satellite radio subscription?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
OK...still confused...that link for getting traffic updates on a Magellan is still only for those 100 cities listed at totaltraffic.com. How would I get traffic info on my GPS for a city not on that list? Is that only a satellite radio subscription?
Not sure if this is correct or not, but I do believe that *all* traffic updates,
when the traffic in that area *is* updated, comes over the same frequency
that is used by all traffic watches in the USA.

Akin to the weather forecast in the aero sector.
You call just one number, regardless of where you are in the USA,
or you set your radio to just one frequency.

So ... , that means that, if there *is* a traffic update, in that specific area,
you will receive it and the GPS will note that.

If the database from *totaltraffic.com* is correct and up to date,
then if your area is not listed, it may be that your area really does not have a service like that.

For instance, the large city where I live nearby to, does have the service.
The next largest city listed in the same neighbourhood is hundreds of miles away !
Look at this map:
Total Traffic Network | Map
and you can see that some states
do not even have a traffic center that sends out that kind of info.

LBNL, I am sure that this link, is not really complete, and that there are more areas covered by this service.

HTH.

Last edited by irman; 02-26-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology