Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

Prof Brian Cox talks about our current understanding of the Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...=8fbUiNQ0Buk#!

I did a search and don't think this has been posted on here before.
Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

While I'm here could I ask about opinions (maybe from a mod if possible) for a Physics and Cosmology sub-forum? I understand there is a 'space' sub-forum here, but I didn't feel that this lecture fitted into that forum for two reasons.
Firstly so much of what we understand about the Universe these days, stems from current theories in quantum mechanics or sub atomic particles, but this doesnt necessarily fit in with the heading 'space'.
Secondly a few of the threads in the 'space' forum are about UFO's and suchlike. I'd prefer if that kind of thing was kept to a different forum.

We have 5 sub-forums dedicated to technology: cellphones and smart phones, computers, consumer electronics, internet and tablets but only 1 science sub-forum.
I really think Physics / cosmology deserves its own subforum or possibly just a change of title from simply 'space'. I have often thought about posting here but felt the subject deserved a better rank than simply calling it 'science' but didn't fit under the heading 'space'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
The procedure for creating new sub forums is as follow: 1st, there has to be enough threads and talk in general about the specific topic, like physics or space. How many I'm unsure, but significantly more than we have today. Next, you need to create a thread in the about the forum to notify Admin - it is his decision.
It certainly is possible and doable.
Yac.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
I love this video! I was already familiar with all of the basic concepts he discusses, but every time I'm exposed to these ideas, I recall stuff I've forgotten, and I come to understand certain aspects of things in a new way. I would love, however, to hear from some people here who are not already so familiar with physics and cosmology. How does this lecture affect them? It seems to me as though Cox explains stuff so well that basically anyone could follow it, but I'm not sure. Does this all just seem like a bunch of confusing gobbledygook to non-science-minded people? How many people who are not already fans of science would take the time to watch something like this? And when a person who has never paid much attention to science suddenly sees this, what effect does it have? Just wondering.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
The procedure for creating new sub forums is as follow: 1st, there has to be enough threads and talk in general about the specific topic, like physics or space. How many I'm unsure, but significantly more than we have today. Next, you need to create a thread in the about the forum to notify Admin - it is his decision.
It certainly is possible and doable.
Yac.
Thanks Yac.

Maybe I could get a poll going on here to help gauge opinion? I'll start a new thread if that's ok.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I love this video! I was already familiar with all of the basic concepts he discusses, but every time I'm exposed to these ideas, I recall stuff I've forgotten, and I come to understand certain aspects of things in a new way. I would love, however, to hear from some people here who are not already so familiar with physics and cosmology. How does this lecture affect them? It seems to me as though Cox explains stuff so well that basically anyone could follow it, but I'm not sure. Does this all just seem like a bunch of confusing gobbledygook to non-science-minded people? How many people who are not already fans of science would take the time to watch something like this? And when a person who has never paid much attention to science suddenly sees this, what effect does it have? Just wondering.
Thanks for commenting Gaylenwoof. I agree, I think remarkable thing about Brian Cox is the way he manages to take all those concepts and neatly bring them together in such a clear but concise 50 minute talk.
I only moved to the US 18 months ago so I don't know if these two series have been aired here at all, but he also made two amazing series for the BBC;
Wonders of the Solar System.
Wonders of the Universe.

He's also currently finishing a series called Wonders of Life.

I highly recommend the first two series, I have only seen the first show of the last one. They are available here on DVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology