Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,538 times

Advertisements

So i love math more than anything and ive always done so well in the class. it has my been my favorite subject throughout high school forever. And im also interested in chemistry especially working in research to make/analyze medicine or chemicals in general. Im confused and undecided as to whether i should do chemical engineering or be a chem major/math minor. I understand that chemical engineering and engineering in general is involved with more industries but it also has alot of complex math. Could anyone please give me any suggestions/recommendations?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 06:58 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbswimmer9 View Post
i love math more than anything
OK, what's the answer here:

48÷2(9+3) = ?

Quote:
Could anyone please give me any suggestions/recommendations?
You want a job? Interesting work? Intelligent colleagues? Pretty decent job security? High job satisfaction? Pretty decent pay? Variety of industries to work in? Variety of places to live in with jobs?

If yes, chose engineering.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:57 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
So i love math more than anything and ive always done so well in the class. it has my been my favorite subject throughout high school forever. And im also interested in chemistry especially working in research to make/analyze medicine or chemicals in general. Im confused and undecided as to whether i should do chemical engineering or be a chem major/math minor. I understand that chemical engineering and engineering in general is involved with more industries but it also has alot of complex math. Could anyone please give me any suggestions/recommendations?
thanks
In the 70s, I dated a girl [Gayle] who was working on her M.S. in Chemistry. We are still in contact with each other. There are very few chemists in our culture, so her skills have always been in demand. Gayle has never gone without employment in her chosen field. Gayle works for a major paint company, she travels a lot, and she enjoys her job.

I went into Electrical Engineering. There have been a lot of ups and downs for EEs. I know many E.E.s who today work outside of that field.

I would have to recommend that you go ChemEng [Not any other field of Engineering, and not Chem Major].

On the other hand. Gayle hit her ceiling with her employer many years ago. Within that corporation she achieved the highest position that she can without going into management. She can not go into management because she does not have a business degree. It frustrates her to work for a chemical company as a chemist, when she can not head a department. While the department heads have no background in chemistry.

I think your minor should be in Business Management.

Good luck

Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In the 70s, I dated a girl [Gayle] who was working on her M.S. in Chemistry. We are still in contact with each other. There are very few chemists in our culture, so her skills have always been in demand. Gayle has never gone without employment in her chosen field. Gayle works for a major paint company, she travels a lot, and she enjoys her job.

I went into Electrical Engineering. There have been a lot of ups and downs for EEs. I know many E.E.s who today work outside of that field.

I would have to recommend that you go ChemEng [Not any other field of Engineering, and not Chem Major].

On the other hand. Gayle hit her ceiling with her employer many years ago. Within that corporation she achieved the highest position that she can without going into management. She can not go into management because she does not have a business degree. It frustrates her to work for a chemical company as a chemist, when she can not head a department. While the department heads have no background in chemistry.

I think your minor should be in Business Management.

Good luck
Your post desbribes the success of an an individual and it mentions some EEs not working in EE anymore. However in general, an BSEE will find a lot more opportunities than a BS Chemistry. There are a lot more jobs for EEs than for Chemistry.

Gayle went as far as she did because she is Gayle, not because she majored in chemistry. She may have gone even further had she majored in engineering.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:01 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
... There are a lot more jobs for EEs than for Chemistry.
True. Overseas.

As one, I am relatively familiar with EEs. I have had a fair understanding of the job market for EEs

I know far more of us who ended up working outside of our career field, as compared to how many ended up working within our chosen career field [stateside].

Bring overseas into the conversation and it is different. As you stated "... There are a lot more jobs for EEs than for Chemistry...", and you are correct, OUTUS.

I am only familiar with one Chemist. I do not know the ins and out of that career field. I stated what I do know of it. She would do better, if she had minored in business.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:50 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default A prefect example of why

Quote:
OK, what's the answer here: 48÷2(9+3) = ?
you should use reverse polish notation.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
you should use reverse polish notation.
What's the answer?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Engineering is where the jobs are, if that matters to you.

I have a friend that got his PhD in theoretical chemical physics. Pretty awesome, eh? Once he got it, he realized that there's only a handful of jobs out there for someone in that field, so he got his masters in computer science and today he writes software for a living.

You can always pursue chemistry as a hobby, and earn your money in engineering.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Show me

Quote:
What's the answer?
the question in reverse polish and I will answer. The entire point of RPN is that there is no ambiguity.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
the question in reverse polish and I will answer.
It doesn't have to be expressed in RPN to be answered correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology