Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 PM

128 posts, read 148,663 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to become a physicist since a child. Physics was and still is to this day the most astonishing and fascinating field to me. Chemistry was probably my next offering being that chemistry and physics lend to each other greatly with many amazing theories and information. Biology always remained last on my list. I could never see myself getting into it. I always thought studying the Earth was limiting and boring, while studying the mysteries of space and alternative realities was the thing that science fiction was made of. Just exciting! It wasnt until after high school that I started to realize that though the field may be not as exciting or extraordinary as the others, biology has the most applicable uses in everyday life.

I'll explain. As I got older, the only places I was finding employment was the medical fields being that illness is probably the number one detriment to our species. Suffering from many diseases within myself, I took up a personal interest within medical knowledge to understand and heal my own conditions. With a biology degree, the doors open to so much more.

With a biology degree one can choose to go to the chemical side of things and study biochemistry, or one can choose to go the opposite way into the medical field where the opportunities are endless. Also with the current trend in our society, medicine is probably the number one priority for our society, only perhaps after the economy or environmental protection. However one can also go into environmental science, all of this with a simple biology background.

With chemistry, most of the opportunities with a biology degree are available with a chemistry degree, however more medical jobs lean towards the biology aspect than the chemical aspect. Since medicine is the strongest sector in the market today, this alone gives biology the edge over chemistry.

With physics the applied science and engineering aspects of science are opened up, which are also very lucrative fields. However physics has little application outside of this and academia, as far as I know.

With all being said, it would be my guess that since our most important issues and highest demand for solutions reside in the medical field and environmental studies, I would think biology is the one field that has the most applicable and practical uses for our time, as well as being the most broad science. It may have been different 200 years ago, but today, it is not the same.

This doesnt mean I cant still study physics or chemistry in the meantime, since all sciences interconnect. However I think with a specialty in biology, one can find more uses to apply this knowledge to in the real world, rather than makings ones life devoted to theoretical conjecture. It sounds fun to explore the ends of the universe and learn mysteries of life no man has dreamed of, but in reality, exploring the edge of the universe wont really solve the issues going on in our own neighborhoods. People dying from vast diseases while the environment crumbles literally above our heads. I think there are more important issues that our society recognizes, which is why certain sectors of the job market are in much higher demand then the others.

Of course these are all opinions I have gathered through my own research and information. Which field of science do you think is the most important for our species, has the most real life application in society, if it be though priority, job demand, or necessity, and which field is the broadest and opens up the most realistic opportunities for future application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:03 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqblaze View Post
Which field of science do you think is the most important for our species, has the most real life application in society, if it be though priority, job demand, or necessity, and which field is the broadest and opens up the most realistic opportunities for future application?

Engineering

Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM

128 posts, read 148,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Engineering
Yes, but I think research science comes before engineering. It is not that we need engineers to make us innovations which helps our problems, but the challenge is figuring out what is causing our problems and how to solve them. Engineers try to make things that solves our problems but without proper research, which is what we are lacking today, engineering will go nowhere.

I think the greater priority of our generation today is not what we can innovate for our conditions, but what we can learn about conditions so that we can really understand the what and the why. I think our generation is lacking understanding of life. Its not that we need more people to construct, its the question of what to construct that is the issue.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:02 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times
I am a bit confused. Your topic title asks which field of science has the applications, i.e. which field of science is used most in today's world. That would be mathmatics. However, reading your posts, you seem to want to ask which discipline of science will get you the best job. That question is a lot more difficult to answer.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:45 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Much of applied physics, materials, and and engineering comes down to a lot of chemistry. All drugs and biologics- chemistry and bio chemistry. Nanomaterials, microfabrication of semiconductors, and nanotechnology- tons of chemistry. New graphene technology that will be arriving in tons of electronics soon- chemistry. Catalyst or electric fuel cell tech- requires lots of of chemistry. Recombinant organisms to make food fuel or medicine- biochemistry and molecular engineering.

Chemistry at its core is just applied physics and enigneers must use fundamental discoveries from chemistry and apply it to many things.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqblaze View Post
Which field of science has the most applications in our current generation?
Computer science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology