Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hearing from physicists/scientists with some knowledge of this, not political diatribes. What's incredible to me is that now, 3 years after the disaster this is still a ticking time bomb. How much of a threat is this to the west coast or the rest of the country? Please spare me the know-nothing denialist opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz1j4IHcsP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSmFZeE50E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,689 times
To make an informed opinion, a full assessment of the physical situation is required. Including access to data regarding radiation and radioactive materials. At this time, Japan has not been presenting much useful information to the public. Thus an informed opinion by someone knowledgeable and not subject to contract with the government of Japan in one way or another is virtually impossible.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:12 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
What's truly amazing is how people are totally ignoring the Fukushima incident as if it never happened and didn't contaminate every creature in the Pacific Ocean. I hear statement like "A little radiation won't hurt you!" WTF! I'm getting away from the west coast. Not only the radiation but the toxic elements found in the plume are just as bad.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
I don't hear much about fukushima anymore unless I go to alternate news. Every once and awhile I catch a blurb about dolphins found with sores on them or some other strange phenomenon. It is funny how I haven't heard much about the wreckage washing up on America's pacific shore. Did it make it here already? It is somewhat frightening to think that it is still polluting with radiocative waste/water and where is all of that going (into the ocean).
Fukushima puzzle: Who ordered halt to pumping of seawater at stricken plant? - AJW by The Asahi Shimbun

Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
What's truly amazing is how people are totally ignoring the Fukushima incident as if it never happened and didn't contaminate every creature in the Pacific Ocean. I hear statement like "A little radiation won't hurt you!" WTF! I'm getting away from the west coast. Not only the radiation but the toxic elements found in the plume are just as bad.
Based on your statement we should be seeing massive numbers of people on the west coast either mutating or dying or at least being diagnosed with abnormal levels of radiation.

Why isn't that occurring, especially in all three Pacific ocean tree hugger states?

84.234 metric tons of fish are caught in the Pacific ocean and sold throughout the world.

Why is is only the paranoid conspiracy media outlets predicting doom and gloom (which seems to be their stock in trade)?

Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Be patient.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Based on your statement we should be seeing massive numbers of people on the west coast either mutating or dying or at least being diagnosed with abnormal levels of radiation.

Why isn't that occurring, especially in all three Pacific ocean tree hugger states?

84.234 metric tons of fish are caught in the Pacific ocean and sold throughout the world.

Why is is only the paranoid conspiracy media outlets predicting doom and gloom (which seems to be their stock in trade)?
Because it is a multi billion dollar industry. The radiation is still leaking from the reactors. The tree hugger states are very complacent because they don't want to admit it is a problem. The Pacific Northwest has been sort of a eco haven for much of the U.S. now this threatens the natural environment their. Nobody wants to have to change their lifestyle because of something they have no control over, doesn't mean we should ignore it. South Korea has banned all imported fish from Japan. If the U.S. and Canada were to do so the industry in Japan would go under. Why did Canada stop testing for radiation in seafood? The U.S. clearly isn't testing enough.

Canadian 10th Grader Discovers Radioactive Imported Seafood Long After Government Stopped Testing | EcoWatch

They don't want to create a panic. The country couldn't handle it at this point. What I don't get is most people who won't listen to a word Obama says have completely fallen in line with the governments complete negligence over this situation. NOAA a fisheries organization based on the west coast is doing absolutely no testing at this point. Yet high school kids are finding radiation from doing simple science projects. The government and scientists have absolutely no idea how this is going to fallout.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Because it is a multi billion dollar industry. The radiation is still leaking from the reactors. The tree hugger states are very complacent because they don't want to admit it is a problem. The Pacific Northwest has been sort of a eco haven for much of the U.S. now this threatens the natural environment their. Nobody wants to have to change their lifestyle because of something they have no control over, doesn't mean we should ignore it. South Korea has banned all imported fish from Japan. If the U.S. and Canada were to do so the industry in Japan would go under. Why did Canada stop testing for radiation in seafood? The U.S. clearly isn't testing enough.
Isn't it wonderful how just nobody people become the mouthpieces of their respective countries?

Why did Canada stop testing? (accredited scientific news sources please, EcoWatch doesn't qualify)..

Quote:
Canadian 10th Grader Discovers Radioactive Imported Seafood Long After Government Stopped Testing | EcoWatch

They don't want to create a panic. The country couldn't handle it at this point. What I don't get is most people who won't listen to a word Obama says have completely fallen in line with the governments complete negligence over this situation. NOAA a fisheries organization based on the west coast is doing absolutely no testing at this point. Yet high school kids are finding radiation from doing simple science projects. The government and scientists have absolutely no idea how this is going to fallout.
And we know that this geiger counter has been accurately calibrated how?

Yup governments and scientists are absolutely clueless but you "are in the know"

Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
I find it funny that people think we here in the Pacific Northwest are at risk of this huge radiation fallout cloud from Fukishima giving us all cancer. People need to look at a map and see just how far we are from Japan- many, many thousands of miles- all the way across the largest ocean on the planet. Radiation disperses the further out it goes, so if any gets here at all, it is so dispersed that it's less radiation than you get from your computer or TV screens. Same goes with radiation in the water- any that actually gets here is so dilluted that again it would be less than people normally get daily from appliances in their homes.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I find it funny that people think we here in the Pacific Northwest are at risk of this huge radiation fallout cloud from Fukishima giving us all cancer. People need to look at a map and see just how far we are from Japan- many, many thousands of miles- all the way across the largest ocean on the planet. Radiation disperses the further out it goes, so if any gets here at all, it is so dispersed that it's less radiation than you get from your computer or TV screens. Same goes with radiation in the water- any that actually gets here is so dilluted that again it would be less than people normally get daily from appliances in their homes.
News flash to the deniers, it's already here. You can deny the truth all you want. The situation is not under control. The radiation leaked out of Fukushima is not normal background radiation and some people fail to realize this. Plutonium is toxic and has a half life of several hundred thousand years. The ocean could dilute this some but the fact that it is leaking daily it doesn't seem to matter. If there is another earthquake and fuel pool 4 goes you can say goodbye to life as we know it. It is a huge cover up by Japanese and U.S. governments along with Tepco the energy company responsible for the reactor.

Last edited by bad apples; 05-30-2014 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology