Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times

Advertisements

I am so sick of the whole conversation. There is some science that we have that gives us an argument in favor of, and some science that goes against what we believe we know. All in all, our science is so young, and tested over such a short period of the earth's history, the whole argument just seems moot. It's like someone becoming an "expert" of football since they watched last the Super Bowl last year, and had never seen a game before that.

We just don't know. Let's move on to the here and now. Weather is largely unpredictable. Warming and cooling periods are part of the earth's evolution. We are alive usually between 65-95 years, and human existence is a small glimpse of time compared to how long life has flourished on this planet. It's likely that a massive cooling or heating killed off life once before, millions of years ago.

So here we are. Our tiny brains, advanced as they are, trying to understand cycles that have happened for hundreds of millions of years. I DO believe that human actions cause small changes to the environment, such as smog, landslides, maybe even small earthquakes due to our drilling activity. Our farming practices change the land, sometimes for extended periods. But overall, our experience as humans on this earth is just too brief to really know for sure what our grand effect has been or will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 01:54 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
My biggest problem with climate change supporters is on one hand they say you either believe in science or you do not yet when I point out that the scientific models show solar advancing exponentially so its reaching parity now and will be 50% cheaper by 2030 and nearly free by 2035 they say well those models could be wrong. Well what is it you either believe in science or you do not its not just the science you want to believe in.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
This subject has been beaten to death, discussed adnauseum, all the arguments for and against have been aired out here so much the hot air could float the city of San Francisco.

So why are you bringing it up in this forum yet again?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 PM

377 posts, read 620,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
My biggest problem with climate change supporters is on one hand they say you either believe in science or you do not yet when I point out that the scientific models show solar advancing exponentially so its reaching parity now and will be 50% cheaper by 2030 and nearly free by 2035 they say well those models could be wrong. Well what is it you either believe in science or you do not its not just the science you want to believe in.
What on Earth are you talking about?

Climate models says nothing about advancements in solar energy generation. You do realize the two are completely not related?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post

Climate models says nothing about advancements in solar energy generation. You do realize the two are completely not related?
Give the person a break, he/she/it doesn't have the foggiest idea about how to stick to the topic of the thread...

Mumble mumble 2030 mumble mumble 2030 mumble mumble 2030 mumble mumble 2030 mumble mumble

Old 05-17-2014, 03:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Those that believe that we are in an abnormal phase of Global Warming due to mans activities on Earth will maintain that point of view just as those that think all the scientists are all lying and perpetrating some form of global hoax will maintain their point of view.At this point starting new topics on the issue is rather redundant and pointless as the same old talking points will be rehashed over and over again, time to put this whole topic in a sticky..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post

What I mean is most scientists agree that society using fossil fuels is bad for the environment and we should stop using them and switch to alternative fuels like solar. The UN recently came out with a report that said we must be "significantly off fossil fuels by 2030". The activists say you either believe in science or you don't.

Then most of the scientific models show that solar is advancing exponentially and reaching parity with fossil fuels now and will be cheaper in the world by 2020 and 50% cheaper by 2030 and nearly free by 2035. Because of this we will have no problem getting significantly off fossil fuels by 2030. In fact my goal is to be off fossil fuels by 2020. Yet when I point this out to climate change activists they tell me well the models could be wrong. So my question is if you believe in science then you believe in science not just the science you want to. You can't say you believe in the models that show climate change is a issue but dismiss all the ones that show solar will take over fossil fuels well before the date the UN models say we have to be off fossil fuels.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:13 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This subject has been beaten to death, discussed adnauseum, all the arguments for and against have been aired out here so much the hot air could float the city of San Francisco.

So why are you bringing it up in this forum yet again?
So we can can all continue to argue, point fingers, and call each other names, of course!

Sound and fury, signifying nothing ...

Old 05-17-2014, 11:18 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The UN recently came out with a report that said we must be "significantly off fossil fuels by 2030". The activists say you either believe in science or you don't.
Wow! Is that the same UN that stood by and watched the genocide take place in Rwanda, continues to do nothing about the genocide in Darfur, and has no interest whatsoever in worldwide terrorism and Russian conquest of free states? That UN?

Why should we trust their so called competence in any field?

Old 05-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Wow! Is that the same UN that stood by and watched the genocide take place in Rwanda, continues to do nothing about the genocide in Darfur, and has no interest whatsoever in worldwide terrorism and Russian conquest of free states? That UN?

Why should we trust their so called competence in any field?
I think you missed my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology