Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:08 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasoakichester View Post
I like virtual reality stuff, and holograms. 3D printing, robotic arms that are attached to a wall and can prepare numerous dishes. Technology isn't bad..
Not in the least. I got a HTC Vive for VR, and its amazing.

And I really didnt think I would ever say something like that in my lifetime. Whats coming will be amazing, but the OP is not completely unreasonable in feeling like it should be feared a little. That fear is what will keep us safe in the end. Just dont get all crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 07:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Not in the least. I got a HTC Vive for VR, and its amazing.

And I really didnt think I would ever say something like that in my lifetime. Whats coming will be amazing, but the OP is not completely unreasonable in feeling like it should be feared a little. That fear is what will keep us safe in the end. Just dont get all crazy.
I do agree. Reminds me of

Quote:
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
But paranoia has saved me from things I prefer not to think about.

Last edited by Yac; 08-29-2016 at 06:15 AM..

Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Across the continent. Keeps 'em busy.

I read the articles.

1. A lot of fantasy in those ideas.
2. One site is a bunch of flakes so totally discounted.
3. Don't believe 90% of the crap that comes out of Russia. Most of it is designed to mislead the rest of the world.

So - junk journalism.
This, basically

Skynet isn't taking full control anytime soon.

Technology is a collection of tools. Fire, the wheel, and the boat were among the tools that got man out of the jungle and on the path towards civilization. New tools and technologies are often disruptive. Spain marched through the new world with disruptive technology. Hitler was 10 miles away from taking over the world when he stalled in Moscow. The US has used technology for world domination ever since. If you were sitting in Poland in the late 1930's, German military technology was quite disruptive.

Modern technology provides an enormous lever/multiplier for invested capital. The early 19th century English industrialists established textile mills. Their invested capital produced huge wealth for them, made woven cloth inexpensive, and along the way put the occupation of craft weaver out of business. If you sat at a hand loom all day weaving cloth, that technology was very disruptive. The Luddites were an early group that opposed that technology and burned some of those textile mills. It's pretty easy to become a Luddite when technology disrupts your life.

In 2016, the leverage from technology is vastly more enormous than 200 years ago. Capital investment in automation can put millions of unskilled workers out of their job. The largest single job category in most states? Truck driver. What happens when most trucks are automated? Those people are out of work. It may not happen in the next decade but it's hard to imagine that those kinds of low skill repetitive task jobs will largely be automated 100 years from now. The rich who have the capital that is invested in automation get richer, the poor get poorer. It's going to be an enormous pressure point on society.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:04 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Some folks just need to put the internet down and go for a nice walk.
Nise wolk, wats dat?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
It's quite a jump from research into smart dust and reports of an imaginary device called a nooscope to global enslavement.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Nise wolk, wats dat?
Go to www.turnthedamnthingoff.com

Old 08-29-2016, 09:09 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
It's quite a jump from research into smart dust and reports of an imaginary device called a nooscope to global enslavement.
Not if you don't have any grasp of the technology.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:11 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
But, while recognizing that Big Brother/Sister wants to know too much, and that the manipulators and pitch(wo)men of Madison Avenue, Wall Street and Hollywood are far too easily tempted to co-operate, how do we set limits against this disturbing trend?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:14 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Many people don't bother using in-car technology, survey says - CNET

Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Actually technology is giving us more freedoms. I mean my life today was a science fiction movie in 1986 only 30 years ago. And its nothing compared to the advances we will see in 30 more years by 2046.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology