Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times

Advertisements

Elon Musk: I'll Put a Man on Mars in 10 Years - YouTube

Essentially Musk sees the issue with big government run by the hordes of scared, witless masses.

Gov't: We're too busy bailing out big corporations and funding (or rather going into debt, not really TRULY funding) two wars and giving tax breaks to the wealthy to spend more than a paltry sum on science and technology, so Mars will have to wait 25 years

Musk: Well, I have the intelligence and have the money to hire a bunch of people who can make it happen, so who's going to stop me?

I for one hope Musk does go to Mars ... because it's obvious the idiotic electorate and the gutless government aren't willing to actually do it.

Note: Skip to 13:50 to see him answer this question ... the prior 13 minutes is him plugging his electric car company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
I wish them the best of luck....

What I would like to see (yeah I know I'm stupid for thinking it) is all the countries in the world combine their space programs into one.

We could have permanent bases on the moon as well as Mars.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
We don't have the technology to go to Mars now. I dont think we will have it in 10 years either.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
We don't have the technology to go to Mars now. I dont think we will have it in 10 years either.
Correction we do not have the technology to send a manned mission to mars yet but we can got to Mars in fact we are exploring Mars as we speak.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Correction we do not have the technology to send a manned mission to mars yet but we can got to Mars in fact we are exploring Mars as we speak.
Exactly. Technology exists with robots and machines to accomplish 90% (or whatever) of what a manned mission could do at 10% the cost and none of the risk.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:20 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Exactly. Technology exists with robots and machines to accomplish 90% (or whatever) of what a manned mission could do at 10% the cost and none of the risk.
Correction, we do have the technology to go there, we just don't want to spend the capital to do so.

And the 10% is important I think. Humanity is now conscious of threats to its existence, both natural and brought about by humanity itself. The only solution is redundancy, and to do that, we must settle worlds other than our own.

Machines can't construct complex structures on their own, not without our help / instruction. Machines can't make snap judgment calls on items or priority should a situation arise. Machines can't safeguard the future survival of humanity, period. And they likely will never be capable of doing so.

If we give up on MANNED exploration of the universe we may as well slide into oblivion now. The Earth will not be capable of supporting us forever. Not to mention the technological leaps that would doubtless happen to sustain such an effort. It'd be like Christopher Colombus and other explorers of his era just giving up and saying "oh no, shipping across the oceans is bloody expensive, let's just keep doing it by rail."

Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default Alternative to manned Mars exploration

I think manned exploration of these places beyond a very small human or preferably machine presence is a diversion from the real savior of human existence over the very long term. Humanity needs a Faster Than Light Drive to let us explore the universe instead of just our local system. I know FTL is still considered impossible but I am not convinced that it is.

So we need to continue to expand our current space exploration as well as find a way of breaking the universe’s speed limit. Let’s get to work on this instead of wasting our money on the Forever War.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Correction, we do have the technology to go there, we just don't want to spend the capital to do so.

And the 10% is important I think. Humanity is now conscious of threats to its existence, both natural and brought about by humanity itself. The only solution is redundancy, and to do that, we must settle worlds other than our own.

Machines can't construct complex structures on their own, not without our help / instruction. Machines can't make snap judgment calls on items or priority should a situation arise. Machines can't safeguard the future survival of humanity, period. And they likely will never be capable of doing so.

If we give up on MANNED exploration of the universe we may as well slide into oblivion now. The Earth will not be capable of supporting us forever. Not to mention the technological leaps that would doubtless happen to sustain such an effort. It'd be like Christopher Colombus and other explorers of his era just giving up and saying "oh no, shipping across the oceans is bloody expensive, let's just keep doing it by rail."
Correction? Where?

Also, Let's wait 100 years when new technology will be available to entertain a Mars mission for a lot less money, a lot less risk, and with a lot more knowledge. Going now is the expensive time to go. In the next 100 years technology will be developed for real immediate needs. This technology would make going to Mars a lot cheaper and easier later. We don't need to go to Mars NOW.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/space...e-go-mars.html

Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,752 times
Actually, sign-ups are right here:

Home - Mars One

Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,752 times
We have the technology, time table, man power and money to go to Mars. What are we waiting for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology