U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
 
3,579 posts, read 2,648,424 times
Reputation: 3293

Advertisements

With the announcement of finding conglomerate on Mars, I have to point out that I noticed an image a couple of weeks ago that had rounded pebbles that could only have been abraded in a flowing water environment. Here is a close up of the rounded rocks in that image:



This image was taken on 2012-09-08 23:35:20 UTC, SOL 33, subframe data, mastcam right. I am confused why they are announcing that the image they published today is the first time they've seen these features on Mars, when clearly they had the evidence in this earlier image.

Whatever the reason, here is a panorama I created of a feature in the area that appears to me to be a steam bed. It is in or near the area they are currently drving to so it should be very interesting to see what they will find there:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2012, 10:44 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,861,573 times
Reputation: 7623
Why can't people understand there is a Space forum


Cell Phones and Smartphones
Computers
Consumer Electronics
Internet
Space <------------------------------
Tablets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 AM
 
3,579 posts, read 2,648,424 times
Reputation: 3293
Well, dude, I wasn't discussing space. I was discussing the geology of Mars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,861,573 times
Reputation: 7623
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Well, dude, I wasn't discussing space. I was discussing the geology of Mars.
Yeah I'm wrong, Mars isn't considered to be in space is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 PM
 
6,209 posts, read 6,586,677 times
Reputation: 3091
Its just about clear that water, and plenty of it, flowed on Mars. What are the odds that after 10s of millions of years without the flow of surface water that it is now flowing under the surface? Now that would be one heck of a find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 PM
 
3,579 posts, read 2,648,424 times
Reputation: 3293
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yeah I'm wrong, Mars isn't considered to be in space is it?
So is the Earth. Your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,861,573 times
Reputation: 7623
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
So is the Earth. Your point?
I am still flabbergasted that you haven't brought up your astounding findings and astute observations to the scientists and geologists at NASA and JPL.....

Just think, you and your home computer have found evidence that NASA and JPL with billions of dollars worth of equipment and numerous *** laude scientists have obviously missed....

Boy did you show them by posting your findings here on C-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 PM
 
3,579 posts, read 2,648,424 times
Reputation: 3293
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I am still flabbergasted that you haven't brought up your astounding findings and astute observations to the scientists and geologists at NASA and JPL.....

Just think, you and your home computer have found evidence that NASA and JPL with billions of dollars worth of equipment and numerous *** laude scientists have obviously missed....

Boy did you show them by posting your findings here on C-D
In fact, as a member of the LAS, which is an NASA-affiliated amateur astronomy group, and a professional geologist, I did e-mail the curiosity team and asked them about the earlier image. I posted this stuff here and elsewhere so others could take a look at it and add their reasonable input. Now, unless you have something that actually adds to the discussion, then please stop with the personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 PM
 
3,579 posts, read 2,648,424 times
Reputation: 3293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Its just about clear that water, and plenty of it, flowed on Mars. What are the odds that after 10s of millions of years without the flow of surface water that it is now flowing under the surface? Now that would be one heck of a find.
I doubt if there is much conduit flow presently on Mars, particularly if the conduits are directly connected to the surface. However, I don't doubt that diffuse flow is present at depth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,861,573 times
Reputation: 7623
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
In fact, as a member of the LAS, which is an NASA-affiliated amateur astronomy group, and a professional geologist, I did e-mail the curiosity team and asked them about the earlier image. I posted this stuff here and elsewhere so others could take a look at it and add their reasonable input. Now, unless you have something that actually adds to the discussion, then please stop with the personal attacks.
?? I congratulated you on your findings, so they are considered a personal attack?

How should I have worded it?

Ohhhh orogenicman, you are soooo intelligent to have observed something that everyone else in the world missed, you deserve a medal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top