Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 08:33 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,605,486 times

Advertisements

The history of scientific method begins with Observation, and all else leads from that. But in the case of Marconi, there was no natural phenomena in the observable universe, that would lead an observer to ask "Why?". No evidence if spectral bandwidth, suggested by rotation of seasons, or lightning, or falling apples or overflowing bathtubs or avian flight..

Marconi saw a universe that did not announce itself to earlier observers. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 07:40 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Marconi wasn't working in the dark. He started his work in wireless telegraphy in 1894, using the work of Henrich Hertz.

In 1888 Hertz demonstrated that he could produce and detect electromagnetic radiation, something James Clerk Maxwell described in 1865 in his paper "A Dynamic Theory of the Electromagnetic Field".

Yeah, I had to look some of it up.

But I had already known that Maxwell had devised his equations for electromagnetic fields well before Marconi started his work. Many considered Maxwell's work to be the cap stone of Newtonian physics; in a modern sense, the three most important physicists are Newton, Maxwell, and Einstein. Being a math major who also had to get through several undergraduate courses in physics, I was introduced not only to calculus but also Maxwell's equations, which were a big part of the Electromagnetic part of physics that I was taught. I can't recite any of them now, but back in the day I need to memorize all of them if I was going to get through that third physics course.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:54 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,605,486 times
Of course, someone down-field gets credit for the working model of all inventions, I didn't mean to dispite that.

But my main point was that most other inventions arose from an exploration of phenomena already known and wondered about for centuries. Any ten-year-old can reach an "Aha!" moment if you explain a steam or ICE engine, based on visible-world analogies, but try that with radio propagation.

That being said, who knows what other events lie unseen and un-wondered about in the visible universe. We certainly haven't, with Hertz or whomever, found the last of the unimagined.

Last edited by arr430; 06-08-2023 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-21-2023, 02:21 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Marconi wasn't working in the dark. He started his work in wireless telegraphy in 1894, using the work of Henrich Hertz.
And, as the Supreme Court ruled, he also used several of Tesla's patents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology