Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 02:32 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times

Advertisements

It's been working fine all along, then a couple days ago when I pressed the UP & DOWN buttons to scroll through the shows/movies, it will skip 2+ rowrs fast & I can never get what I want because it's skipping rows. & it's w/ all the streaming services (not just Hulu, for example). It's really frustrating!

It's not the battery that needs replacing because the power & volume buttons still work fine, but I've still taken out the batteries & put them back in. That didn't help.

I haven't tried contacting Roku yet.

I hope I don't have to pay for a replacement remote.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 03:46 PM

1,921 posts, read 908,620 times
You might try resetting it. The reset button on mine is under where the batteries go. https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/...ir-roku-remote

Old 07-27-2023, 12:56 PM

2,040 posts, read 994,746 times
Mine did that and I did change the batteries (to no avail) but then for no good reason it stopped doing that and it's now fine.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
You might try resetting it. The reset button on mine is under where the batteries go. https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/...ir-roku-remote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Mine did that and I did change the batteries (to no avail) but then for no good reason it stopped doing that and it's now fine.

Thanks, but no success & the reset buttons wasn't under the battery compartment of my remote model. How else does one reset it?

I even unplugged the Roku for 60+ sec, but nope. Also, unplugged actual TV, but also no.

I may have to buy a new remote.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:11 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Is it dirty? In other words, is their gunk, dirt or debris in the buttons causing it to press down longer than intended? I would try to clean the area around the buttons, maybe with canned air before replacing.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Is it dirty? In other words, is their gunk, dirt or debris in the buttons causing it to press down longer than intended? I would try to clean the area around the buttons, maybe with canned air before replacing.

Not at all whatsoever. I never get things like that (or anything much) all messy. It looks like new.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:22 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
New batteries.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 648,315 times
Does the up/down work at all correctly anywhere (like scrolling up and down through your app list or Roku settings for example)?

Yes fresh batteries of course. Then, though not likely the problem, try relocating the Roku. I had a device do some weird things, and then moving something a few inches fixed it. If it is a physical button problem, you could self-teach yourself via YouTube how to gather what is needed to take it apart and clean the buttons. Of course, you still may end up spending $20 to buy a new one.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:15 AM

791 posts, read 369,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Not at all whatsoever. I never get things like that (or anything much) all messy. It looks like new.
I'd bet on dirty as well, but even better than canned air is QD contact cleaner

My volume button was sticking both up and down - sprayed the cleaner in there and now it's not sticking anymore

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industrie...000BXOGNI?th=1

Old 08-22-2023, 11:54 AM

983 posts, read 545,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
It's been working fine all along, then a couple days ago when I pressed the UP & DOWN buttons to scroll through the shows/movies, it will skip 2+ rowrs fast & I can never get what I want because it's skipping rows. & it's w/ all the streaming services (not just Hulu, for example). It's really frustrating!

It's not the battery that needs replacing because the power & volume buttons still work fine, but I've still taken out the batteries & put them back in. That didn't help.

I haven't tried contacting Roku yet.

I hope I don't have to pay for a replacement remote.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do please?
I have bought 5 new remotes in the past 3 years because my dog likes to chew them up. Go to walmart and get a new one. They wear out. you can get the cheap one for about 10.00. I paid 20 for the one with the volume buttons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology