Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 11:39 PM

29 posts, read 17,550 times

Advertisements

Are there any computer softwares that can let me type a word so it can pronounce it out loud in Spanish? Google sometimes doesn't pronounce words correctly. I tried an app on phone and it also doesn't pronounce words correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 06:52 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Spanish is one of the very easiest languages to pronounce. With the exception of a dozen or so words that are directly taken from other languages, each word is pronounced exactly as it's spelled. The rules for Spanish pronunciation are few. I suggest you just learn the pronunciation rules, then you won't need a computer to tell you how.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:23 AM

974 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testingthis View Post
Are there any computer softwares that can let me type a word so it can pronounce it out loud in Spanish? Google sometimes doesn't pronounce words correctly. I tried an app on phone and it also doesn't pronounce words correctly.
Rosetta Stone is a good way to learn how to pronounce a new language.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
There are numerous voice-translator apps available for your phone. The iPhone has a voice translator, but there are other apps you can have in your phone:
https://www.bestapp.com/best-translation-apps/

The iPhone voice translator is built into the iPhone, and I assume that Apple probably has a voice language translator built in the Mac:
https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...hd74cb450f/ios

Old 01-26-2024, 01:31 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Well, which Spanish? The dialects are very different depending on which country you're in. Even in the U.S. where English is usually spoken, there is a vast difference between how we pronounce things down here in the South compared to the up North pronunciation.

When I lived in New Orleans there were three active dialects of English spoken just in that city alone, depending on where you lived. Louisiana's Cajun French is not at all like Parisian French. There is no standard anything when it comes to spoken communication.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There are numerous voice-translator apps available for your phone. The iPhone has a voice translator, but there are other apps you can have in your phone:
https://www.bestapp.com/best-translation-apps/

The iPhone voice translator is built into the iPhone, and I assume that Apple probably has a voice language translator built in the Mac:
https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...hd74cb450f/ios
Just tried the first link and the Microsoft translator is not good. It can only pronounce the word it's being translated to and if I type a word in Spanish like hospitalaria it gets translated to English correctly but will only pronounce that word. If I switch it to Spanish, the translator changes the word to hospital when I specifically asked for the other word. Sometimes Spanish words aren't pronounced how they are typed. Sometimes the letter a will be pronounced differently on some words which makes a big difference.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Spanish is one of the very easiest languages to pronounce. With the exception of a dozen or so words that are directly taken from other languages, each word is pronounced exactly as it's spelled. The rules for Spanish pronunciation are few. I suggest you just learn the pronunciation rules, then you won't need a computer to tell you how.
I already know Spanish. I am not a beginner but I am trying to be fluent. Not all words are pronounced how they are typed. Some letters are pronounced differently depending on the words which makes a big difference. That's probably why Google is saying a lot of words incorrectly. An accurate translator would fix this. That's what I am looking for. A translator that will pronounce both in English and Spanish without changing the words I typed like the Microsoft translator I just tried did.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:56 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Lots of resources out there

You can learn standard Spanish (kinda like standard US English) - an all-purpose dialect that's understood by any Spanish speaker. Try your local public library, or see if your state public library has a portal to language lessons, or over the Internet. They often offer access to Mango language lessons - interactive, & Spanish is one of them. (Actually, they have Spain Spanish, Latin American Spanish, etc. So you have some choices there.)

Best of luck with it.

Old 01-27-2024, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
You can learn standard Spanish (kinda like standard US English) - an all-purpose dialect that's understood by any Spanish speaker. Try your local public library, or see if your state public library has a portal to language lessons, or over the Internet. They often offer access to Mango language lessons - interactive, & Spanish is one of them. (Actually, they have Spain Spanish, Latin American Spanish, etc. So you have some choices there.)

Best of luck with it.
I don't need to go to a library to learn Spanish when I am Spanish. I just need an accurate translator. That's it.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:23 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Fuenteovejuna, señor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testingthis View Post
I don't need to go to a library to learn Spanish when I am Spanish. I just need an accurate translator. That's it.
Ah, pues. Suerte, en ese caso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology