Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 06:45 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times

Advertisements

I am wanting some of the very bright light bulbs that I am now seeing around homes (inside and out) in our area. They have a bluish tint to them like a true florescent bulb, but even brighter/bluer looking.

NOW - I have bought the compact bulbs that claim to be florescent bulbs, but still have a yellowish tint to the bulbs, even the brighter ones I bought at Sams.

Does anyone know what brand/style these latest bright compact bulbs are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I am wanting some of the very bright light bulbs that I am now seeing around homes (inside and out) in our area. They have a bluish tint to them like a true florescent bulb, but even brighter/bluer looking.

NOW - I have bought the compact bulbs that claim to be florescent bulbs, but still have a yellowish tint to the bulbs, even the brighter ones I bought at Sams.

Maybe something like this?:
Like natural daylight, full spectrum light bulbs produce light that is seen by the human eye in a bluish white tint. The brightness value of the light is similar to that of daylight, and the bulbs have excellent color rendering capability.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks. That could be them!

I first noticed them inside a house that I pass to and from work. They have been there for a couple of years. I wonder if the above lights (posted in your link) are really new?

The entire house is lit up in a bright white/blue looking light... then there is another house a couple of blocks over that has one out on the porch light.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 AM

Well, thanks for the reply. I may stop at one of those homes and see what they are.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
It sounds like you're talking about daylight spectrum CFLs. They have a lot bluer color than the standard soft white CFLs.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:32 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
I agree, I think you are talking about daylight balanced CFLs. I've used them for about 5 years--they used to be hard to come by, but now they sell them at places like the Home Depot.

Like all fluorescent bulbs, the light produced in the bulb itself is actually ultraviolet, so the principle difference between these bulbs and the ordinary yellow ones is the chemical coating on the glass that converts that invisible ultraviolet light in to visible light.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:02 PM

Thanks. Well, I went to Lowes today and looked and could not find anything close, but I did buy the "reveal" light thinking it could be it, but its not... it has a blue look to it when its not on, but when you turn it on, its soft white.

If I just knew what they were... I have bought so many bulbs thinking it was them, only to be disappointed when they are not.

I will look at Home Depot to see if they have those Jay mentioned. I have been thinking of just stopping and asking those two households here in town where they got them.

These defintely have a blue and bright look to them.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
I just picked some up last week from Home Depot, so I know they are available. The brand is n:vision and the package has blue trim (the other balances have different color trims). It was about $9 for 4 of them.

Here is a link to the ones I bought: n:vision 14 Watt Spiral Daylight, 4 Pack - 5M814455K at The Home Depot

I'm not familiar with northeast TN, but they appear to be available in store in all of the stores within 50 miles of Kingsport. If not, you can always order them online (although shipping seems to be expensive). You can also get them online from Amazon and I'm sure any better lighting store will have a good selection of these bulbs as well.

The lights do take a while to get used to...they are very blue. I think the light is much sharper, but your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 PM

Thanks! I will definitely head up to one of our local Home Depots... I think we have three here in the metro area, so I will go to them all if I have to, but will check the closest one first, which is only about 10 minutes drive up the freeway from where I work.... thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I just picked some up last week from Home Depot, so I know they are available. The brand is n:vision and the package has blue trim (the other balances have different color trims). It was about $9 for 4 of them.

Here is a link to the ones I bought: n:vision 14 Watt Spiral Daylight, 4 Pack - 5M814455K at The Home Depot

I'm not familiar with northeast TN, but they appear to be available in store in all of the stores within 50 miles of Kingsport. If not, you can always order them online (although shipping seems to be expensive). You can also get them online from Amazon and I'm sure any better lighting store will have a good selection of these bulbs as well.

The lights do take a while to get used to...they are very blue. I think the light is much sharper, but your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

YES, these are the ones! I went out a little while ago after I got home from work and picked up the 4-pack 60 watt (as you have shown there), got home placed them in my sockets and yes, these are the ones!

I have bought bulb, after bulb, after bulb trying to find these... wondering if I had the right ones - finally found the ones thanks to your info/link!

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology