Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:33 AM

968 posts, read 2,062,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyluckinseattle View Post

Gripes- I have never seen so many homeless people in my life. I cannot for the life of me understand why there are so many here. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd love to know. But it's very disheartening to see so many homeless all over the city, not just downtown.
I think there are more homeless in Las Vegas. It is just that they are out of sight in the tunnels during the day.

The people living in drains below Las Vegas | The Sun |Features
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:59 AM

29 posts, read 69,729 times
Haha...

@eskercurve, I guess I kinda feel like that quirky brother because those characteristics kinda describe me...which is why I feel I don't belong out here, but rather somewhere out there

Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,261 times
I would advise you to keep advancing that education, because where I am from Seattle is actually considered a cheap alternative to the Bay Area. The job market will only get tougher in the future with the advances of technology. I'd agree with you on Belltown and the nightlife overall there. I really liked it the last time I was up, but maybe that is because I am 34 now and I don't need as much of a "scene". What Seattle had was enough for me. But if I was still in my 20's? LOL, no way I would conisder that nightlife. There's like a couple streets and that's it.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:29 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,599,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
I would advise you to keep advancing that education, because where I am from Seattle is actually considered a cheap alternative to the Bay Area. The job market will only get tougher in the future with the advances of technology. I'd agree with you on Belltown and the nightlife overall there. I really liked it the last time I was up, but maybe that is because I am 34 now and I don't need as much of a "scene". What Seattle had was enough for me. But if I was still in my 20's? LOL, no way I would conisder that nightlife. There's like a couple streets and that's it.
If you think there are only a "couple" streets in Seattle where nightlife is present, you are sadly mistaken.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,861 times
I suspect he meant a couple of streets in Belltown, not Seattle as a whole

Old 10-14-2010, 04:03 PM

45 posts, read 192,192 times
Love the post! I think the dreary weather would depress me too. I grew up in Salt Lake City and the pea soup inversions that would fill the valley skies during winter were enough to drive me crazy. I also didn't realize how bitterly cold winter can be until after I moved away from Utah. After living in Las Vegas for the past 5 years, I've grown to embrace the desert with all of it's beauty. Red rock canyon, valley of fire, lake mead, mt charleston, and the closeness to southern california are all things I love about being here. Not to mention the cost of living is cheap and no state income tax.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
The rain season is the pill.
The summer is the candy coating.

To live in this area, you have to be willing to say you can put up with that period of dreary gray in order to obtain the payoff of 4 months of the most amazingly wonderful, absolutely perfect weather in the country. Is it a fair trade? On its own, not exactly. But when taken with all the other things this area offers, absolutely. This is one of the few cities in the country that truly feels alive. You can almost feel it pulsing. It's got a real personality. Cities like Vegas (which I've also lived in) are contrived and shallow and dead. They're fun to live in for a few months, even a year maybe. But eventually those bright and shiny lights stop dazzling you. Cities like Chicago feel angry. Everybody out there has an angle, everybody out there has to be on their guard. People out there are just too caught up in being their own little individual centers of the universe. And, of course, the further east you get, ,the more hostile and cutthroat it becomes.

The west coast is definitely where it's at for me. San Fran is a better city, but it's too expensive and the state is out of control. San Diego's great but you can't make a living there unless you want to work for the military or some other branch of government. LA's a joke. Portland's full of vigilante hippies who are out to save the world and don't care how much of YOUR money they have to spend in order to do it, or how many of your rights they have to infringe upon in order to exert their own.

That leaves Seattle. And maybe Anaheim. Seattle wins.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,218 times
lol, it is so nice to know that there are actually people from Vegas in Seattle. I moved to Seattle from Vegas 3 months ago. It is so funny when people checked my ID and told me they had never met anyone from Vegas before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: